surviving the pandemic

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Jameron

Re: surviving the pandemic

Post by Jameron » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 pm

Those are eggcelent.

Yeah ... sorry :lol:
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:11 pm

That's no eggzaturation!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:36 am

Anyone seen 'Mozart in the Jungle' and would like share an opinion? I've not seen it yet, so no spoilers.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:59 pm

'Come Apart' by Sarah Gribble is her entry to the most recent 'short fiction break' contest (1,500 word max entries). I'm reading her novel 'Surviving Death' at the moment, so it's cool to see something else by her. Next time you're bored and need to get on that mildly disturbed vibe, give this a read :)

https://shortfictionbreak.com/come-apart/

Bonus: A recent comment by her shows she's working on a vampire tale. I need to coax her out any sparkly vampire tendencies.
Sarah Gribble, 2-Aug-2021, wrote:I'm about halfway through editing my next novel. It's a vampire-esqe story set on a fictional island in Lake Erie. [I'm so obsessed with vampires right now. For the past two weekends, I've done nothing but watch vampire movies. Old ones. New ones. (Blood Red Sky, anyone?) Sparkly ones. (I'm not the only one watching Twilight right now, so I don't want to hear it.)] It's working title is PARASITIC and I'm hoping to have this draft edited within the month and then off to an editor! Next year released date maybe? We'll see :)

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:46 am

I attempted Suicide at the end of last year. It's was a tumultuous year for me and the pandemic did not help in the slightest. I lost a lot of hope and didn't feel like I had much to live for so I tried to commit suicide by means of Alcohol and Overdose....didn't pan out. I actually freaked out and forced myself to throw up. Went to my parents, told them what I tried to do and ended up into a mental ward under suicide watch.

For the last 8 months I've been in pretty heavy therapy. I am doing much better now...they have me on Antidepressants and therapy has helped quite a bit. I'm in a better place than I was 8 months ago.

It's not as painful to talk about now as it was back then. I still struggle some days...I'm currently unemployed. It's kind of hard to keep a job down when everything keeps going in and out of lockdown in this country (Australia)...I had a part time job for 6 months this year but was let go due to downturn in business. Being at home drives me insane. But what can you do? Can't go anywhere.

So I've been reading a lot lately to try and take my mind off of...well things...it's been helping quite a bit, really. I used to enjoy reading as a kid and having I guess free time to do it now has been rather enjoyable again.

I've also gone back to translating some Manga. After 8 years of studying Japanese, I figure I most well keep it fresh and use it before I forget it entirely.

It's been a weird year and eight months. That's for sure. I went from being employed for 13 years in a full time job to unemployed and battling the feelings of feeling useless. That's the hardest part, feeling like I have nothing to offer this world. And even if I did have something, I can't do it anymore because the world says "no, son!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at that mindset. Therapy has helped a lot. But I do have my days where I can't help but feel hopeless. I guess that's why I went back to trying to be creative...to stop myself from stewing on it.

I know everyone has had it rough over the past almost two years so I know I'm not alone, I guess. But yeah, it's been 8 months of battling depression for me. Some days feel better than others. And so forward...

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:44 pm

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that.

It's good that you're over the worst of it and that you have a loving family that care for you. They might not fully understand what you're going through but they care, and that's important.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:40 pm

I'm so happy that you're communicating with us again on the forum. ): You're intelligence and talent always come through.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:27 am

Fantastic that you asked for help. And terrific to be seeing your name again here!

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:08 pm

Glad you got help. Sorry about all you went through/are going through.

Send me a message anytime you need to vent/chat.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words @Jameron, @dongregg, @gkmoberg1 and @cmfireflies.

Honestly, a lot of my issues in life boil down to insecurities and a lack of self worth in general. It's something I've struggled with ever since my teenage years. Having a full time job kind of helped to fill the void that I have inside...even if I hated that job...but then 2020 happened and I lost my job...and in doing so, the void returned and those feelings of "I have nothing to offer" returned and started eating away at my mind. Until it got to a point come December where I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take the isolation, couldn't take my mind eating away at me...just wanted out. Didn't want to do it anymore. Didn't care anymore...about anything.

Couldn't find hope any more...I still struggle some days now with it...uppers (or antidepressants) help take off the edge but I still have my days where I have increasingly little hope going forward. Like I said, I try to fill that void with creativity...hence why I wrote that Little Star short story...just something to take my mind off of things.

Anyways...that's really all I have to say on the matter for now. I mean, like I said, anti-depressants and (via phone) therapy help a great deal.

I did miss this place...Going back to JAL's backlog has been a great comfort for me. I'm actually re-reading LTROI now. I started with finally finishing off I Am Behind You then moving onto I Am The TIger (great read) then onto Little Star and am now back to LTROI (as I read that fancy new hardcover edition). Probably gonna revisit Handling the Undead and Harbor as well. I'm actually keen to re-read Harbor and see if my mind has changed on it. Truth be told, it's not my favorite of his -- I find the pacing to be a little too slow in it -- but I am keen to see if I have a different opinion 2nd time around...so I guess I kind of have to thank JAL himself for making shit times a little more bearable. Going back to his work inspired me to get creative again and help take my mind off of this shit.

So if you ever should read this, John. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for providing books that have really helped me out through shit times.

It's nice to revisit his work like an old friend.

Return to “Off Topic”