In Memory of Sauvin

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Wolfchild

In Memory of Sauvin

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:06 am

A long time member of this community is gone. Sauvin passed away this past May 26, 2023. Sauvin was a very prolific contributor here, and a trusted member of the moderator staff. I suppose it might be strange to feel the loss of someone you never met in person, someone who you really only know through pixels on a screen. Never the less, for me this place will not really be the same without him. My world is now smaller.

Sauvin came to this forum about six months after it first opened back in 2009. He quickly jumped into meaty discussions and he was soon getting into waters as deep and arcane about LTROI as any of the rest of us. Since then he has made more post than all but a few forum members, and he certainly has contributed more than I have. He was truly Infected.

I found Sauvin to be a calm and patient person. He was not necessarily accommodating, but he was always willing to calmly and politely discuss something even if he didn't agree with you (and in fact was never going to agree with you). However he always seemed open to the possibility that even if agreement might not be found he still might learn something from you. It was because of this that I invited him to be a moderator here, and I was grateful that he accepted.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and remembrances of Sauvin in this thread.

Wolfchild
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Batshua

Re: In Memory of Sauvin

Post by Batshua » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 am

Sauvin was my first love. He was 25 years older than me. We met on EFnet #c when I was 17 years old, and we talked and somehow became friends the weekend of his 40th birthday.

In the early years, we talked a great deal about how tough our lives were and bonded over our struggles. We encouraged each other, and it’s what kept each of us going through those dark times. He was always there for me when I needed him the most.

We just talked for two years before we met up, and I found out in retrospect that he came to visit me at college because he was concerned I might be actively suicidal. I was having an extremely rough time medically and thus academically, but I don’t know if suicide was even on my radar. Still, he came to visit. I brought him to Sunday brunch and introduced him to my friends in case he was secretly an axe murderer, and I skipped classes and toured Philadelphia museums with him for a week.

It was over a year before I saw him again when I went up to visit my college friends during their winter break. Because of our geographic distance, I saw him at most once a year, and some years not at all. We conducted our relationship primarily by IRC, phone calls, and texting. People thought it was strange that our relationship didn't revolve around sex. I often said our relationship was spicier in the kitchen than in the bedroom. We loved cooking good food and eating together. Just spending time together was lovely.

Eventually, we realized that marrying each other was probably not a great idea. We decided to get rings to show that we cared for one another enough to have formed a significant bond. And we chose stainless steel because they're "malleable and ductile, like our love" … possibly the most romantic thing my gearhead of a boyfriend ever said.

Whenever we spent time together, I remember them as quiet, laid-back times. He was an oasis of calm in my life. We’d cook together, go out antiquing, play cards, and maybe see a movie. He introduced me to poutine, he provided me a respite when I was struggling so hard to get hired for my first job, and while I was there, he cooked for me on the days when I was too broken to do more than wash the dishes. I miss having biscuits and gravy for dinner with him.

Sauvin was the one who introduced me to LTROI. He’d always been fascinated with the concepts of monstrosity and the darkness lurking within man’s heart. I knew that some of this stemmed from trauma(s) in his past when he’d seen evil visited upon him by others, but I didn’t know a great deal about the details, and I never pressed. He always told me he’d tell me someday, but … I don’t think he was ever ready, and I can understand that. I think that this community gave him a place to explore those concepts safely and to get distracted by Eli and Oskar’s stories and the places where we could take those characters on our own.

In the last 8 years, he’d grown much more distant. There was so much I didn’t know until after he died. He’d been having serious back pain, and he retired a year before he died. I wish he’d shared what was happening in his life, but he always kept things close to the vest.

This community meant so much to him; I am so grateful you were here for him.

Sauvin had a good heart, a strong moral compass, and a beautiful laugh.

My left shift key broke the same day I found out that he died; it seems fitting, as the world feels much smaller without him.

I will miss most of all the warmth of his presence, the sense of safety he gave me, and just being there with me. I have loved many people, but no one can ever replace him.

He didn’t believe in an afterlife, but I hope that wherever his energy is, it is at rest and free.

May his memory be for a blessing.
Bli mig lite... Snälla, bli mig lite.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am

These were sad news.

I always found Sauvin's posts thoughtful and very well expressed.

I'm also also sad that I'll never know if Elysse Deschamps ever regained her memories.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm

I didn't know much about him, but he was a delight to tolk to, he will be missed.

May his atoms rest amongst the laughter of our beloved infected children. And with his very own beloved posting above. Rest in peace.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:50 am

Sauvin beat me to this site by a year and three days. Not that knew of LTROI until about two weeks before I joined. And when I joined, this was the first forum I'd ever ventured into. I didn't know what to write or what to do. So I watched and read. I soon appreciated Sauvin's views. I was awed by the depth he would dive into on a topic. He was copious with his writing. He was active in discussion threads and created fanfic story entries. By comparison, I felt I was standing in the kiddie end of the pool. Maybe a sentence or two by me; paragraphs from him. His mind seemed to pelt out reasoned opinions while mine was a jumble.

Oskar at 40 upset me but then again it view was so against my thinking that I have read it several times since and referenced it. His scene revisitations, also fanfic entries, were curious and revealing. I need to go back and read them anew.

In one of my first entries here, PeteMork requoted my entry and wrote "QFT" as his response. I had no idea what that meant and spent a day or two wondering if I had done something horribly wrong. In a post about a year ago, one made behind the scenes were us Mods can chat, Sauvin basically did the same - a "QFT" of sorts on a post by me. It was my last contact with him and forever after it will be my last. Once again I am left at the kiddie end of the pool with my mind a jumble.

I have been and will ever be inspired by what Sauvin brought here. We're all better for it. I wish him and family peace.

Return to “Off Topic”