Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
Pissball

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by Pissball » Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 am

dongregg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:41 pm
I figured that soapy meant soap opera since a lot of people call them "the soaps." But toss in Stephen King and the other refs and it makes my head swim. :D
ID because the film simply narrates the events directly, as a crime-policial docufiction epìsode in sensational way, but from a kid POV. The characters have no personalities or motivations, at all. The woman is just a crazy bitch that one day decided to do this, and the kids, well, they are there, being "evil yet innocents" kids, torturing a girl under adult supervision, except for the protagonist, and at the end the police come and arrest the woman.
Stephen King, because that suburbian/little town gang of kids in the 50s, a la "Stand by me".

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat May 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Still trying to figure it out! :shock:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat May 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Great poster. How did you find the film? I'm kind of a novice at downloading or streaming.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri May 29, 2020 2:19 am

dongregg wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:28 pm
Great poster. How did you find the film? I'm kind of a novice at downloading or streaming.
I watched Midsommar and started browsing the internet for folk horror. This one was on iTunes.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:47 am

Just watched "The Dark" by Justin P. Lange..And ok somehow interesting little film, maybe too little for it's own good, but I guess the director didn't have too high pretentions with it. And that's Ok.

Ok maybe Martyrs has nothing to do with LTROI, in this case it cannot be denied that there is a similarity. On YouTube the comments and even the critics say the same. In this case is from the "Eli" (Mina) pov and not "Oskar's"
The most interesting aspect for the infected for me is, this movie shows that LTROI could totally work with teenagers as Eli/Oskar(remember that everyone was upset with the idea of ​​an older version of them and typical teenage stuff for the tv adaptation?).
And second, a monstrous Eli would actually be much more horrible and harder to empathize with.

The main difference between Eli and the zombie girl in The Dark, is that the former is a monster/human duality, with a lifestyle that makes him impossible to embrace that human/child inside him, always trying to hide his non-human face. While Mina, at first, is a complete flesh-eater monster, full of anger and devoid of humanity, who cannot hide his monstrous appearance, living in isolation and secrecy in the forest, (perhaps Eli was like that in the early years of life as a vampire, right after being infected/abused).
The metaphor in The Dark is much more obvious, and the film's supernatural logic are not important (whether she is a zombie, a possessed girl, a ghoul etc.) than the vampirism in LTROI. Also, the "Oskar" in this is, is literally abused/damaged and absolutly secondary, but has a similar impact on the monster-girl.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:38 am

My word! Just your introductory take on the film scares the living daylights out of me. Must be an effective horror story! :o
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 am

And as far as Oskar and Eli being credible as teens, I only object to it when it's a ham-fisted retelling of the film.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:33 am

We are what we are, watchable here for many folk, has almost nothing in common with LTROI but does have at least one thematic similarity and one rather graphic penultimate scene.

The Parkers are descendants of people who'd traversed the mountains at some point during the United States' expansion westwards, surviving horrific hardship and leaving their bloodlines cursed with a legacy that keep them largely apart from other folk. Frank the father, Alyce the mother, Iris and Rose the two teenage daughters, and Rory the prepubescent son are very religious and fiercely loyal to each other. They live in what appears to be a family-built (but beautifully done) wooden house outside of town in relative isolation.

This town has had a problem for a number of years: people disappear every so often.

One day, Alyce goes to town for some supplies for this year's observance of a family tradition but is taken down by an illness that resembles Parkinson's disease. Her death thrusts the responsibility for preparing for the year's observance onto the two teen age daughters who are far from ready for it. As they dodge nosy neighbours, doctors and police, they struggle with an occasionally but fervently expressed desire to be "not different" and with a growing resistance to their father's implacable insistence that family traditions continue.

It unfolds a bit slowly exactly what these traditions are.

There's one scene that's reminiscent of Oskar and Eli's interchange behind the candy store: Iris denies being a beautiful young woman "on the inside" to a boy who has an innocent crush on her. There's another scene that's almost guaranteed to make your gorge want to float where a man is savagely mauled - the victim is the man who'd not long before killed Iris' boyfriend mid-tryst.

IMDB rates it 5.9 out of a possible 10. I disagree with this rating, believing it should be much higher, but some of the resemblances to LTROI may have coloured how I see the movie. I could wish the board were more lively so that minds finer than mine could try to dissect the two teen age daughter's psychologies and motivations. I believe there's much fodder there for amicable contention.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 am

You have my attention. We'll see.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:16 am

If you like Tarantino movies, then you'll probably like this.

Return to “Off Topic”