Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
metoo

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by metoo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:07 am

Coco by Pixar.

If you haven't watched this film already, you definitely should!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

bluezephyr

Post by bluezephyr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Such an amazing movie, I can't believe I put it off for such a long time myself. Watched it like a month ago and was really impressed. Specially since I'm Latino. People confuse me for white, but I relate to the movie so much. Not to mention I'm a musician too. Easily a favorite.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun May 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Heavy trip
Finland

Being a fan of heavy metal, I thought this movie from Finland was pretty funny. The official summary tells you everything, and nothing:
Turo (25) is trying to overcome his fears by leading the most unknown heavy metal band in Finland, Impaled Rektum, to the hottest metal festival of Norway. The journey includes heavy metal, grave robbing, Viking heaven and an armed conflict between Finland and Norway.
The humor is not quite as dry as the Norwegian mockumentary Trollhunter and definitely sillier than the delightfully bone dry Kraftidioten (aka "In Order of Disappearance"), but I thought much of the humor came from the same places. It pokes a lot of fun, hits the right notes, but it never really demeans the heavy metal genre nor its fans.

And just to be pedantic, the band is a "symphonic post-apocalyptic reindeer-grinding Christ-abusing extreme war pagan Fennoscandian" metal band. :roll:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon May 27, 2019 12:41 am

:lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 am

Reminds me a lot of...is it Wicker Man? Something like that. :think:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:03 am

dongregg wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 am
Reminds me a lot of...is it Wicker Man? Something like that. :think:
Yep. I was thinking the same thing. This one may be even more brutal, though. :o
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Plenty of spoilers in this article.
Is It OK to Laugh at Midsommar’s Brutal, Unhinged Ending? , Jeffrey Bloomer, slate.com, 3-July-2019

This one, by the same author, discusses the movie comparatively. No spoilers here. I like the rating system.
How Scary Is Midsommar, Ari Aster’s Follow-Up to Hereditary? , Jeffrey Bloomer, Slate.com , 19-June-2019
I have not watched many horror movies but recognized the ones on these scales. I think me and Clubmeister would feel better at home on the left hand side of the charts! :)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Not on my watch. But the scales are interesting. "The Thing from Another World" 1951. Maxes out on jump scares. "Night of the Living Dead" 1968. All-time lingering dread leader.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm

This was very quirky and funny. We really enjoyed it.

Return to “Off Topic”