Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
dongregg

Re: Last DVD/Movie you bought or watched?

Post by dongregg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Quirky in all the right ways.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello...it has been a LONG time since I came to this forum...anyone still here or is it a ghost town lately?

Anyways...what better way to come back then post in the thread I started. :D

Midsommar -- Some really nice striking imagery, but to be honest? I thought the whole thing kind of just dragged its feet for the sake of dragging its feet. There are things I liked about it. Like I said, some of its imagery is striking and leaves a mark. But I just felt the whole thing was a little too self indulgent at times. And to think there is a supposed 178 minute cut out there. Thanks but no thanks! Still, I think there are moments within that are really well done. I just didn’t care much for the sometimes self indulgent pacing of it. I’ll still take Ken Russel’s The Devils or The Wicker Man over it though

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi danielmann861. Welcome back. Yep, the site is still going. Waiting for Wolfchild to repair the link to our fan fics.

I can't name a single Midsomer Murders episode that is up to the standards of BBC series like Inspector Morse or those of Agatha Christie. I call it the Ozzie and Harriet Nelson of mysteries. Or a soap opera. Plots are often preposterous, endings pulled out of thin air, scenes extended to just fill up time. Still, I find it mostly easy to watch.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:39 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm
Hello...it has been a LONG time since I came to this forum...anyone still here or is it a ghost town lately?
Nope, Eli got us. :roll:

Good to hear from you, danielma!

I've not seen Midsommar. My bad. I've read about it but haven't found a place where I can see it. Is it streaming yet anywhere?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:01 am

I don't know how it works, but my son rigged up a receiver/transmitter and a ROKU remote. Or does it also include the AXESS remote? I was actually searching for old Nancy Drew episodes when I stumbled onto Midsomer Murders.. Still am on the lookout for the spunky girl detective. :)

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:54 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Anyways...what better way to come back then post in the thread I started. :D
Hej, Daniel :D. Long time indeed, hope you're doing well. I haven't seen Midsommar due to far too many people expressing the same view as yourself, and that I'm not really into "horror" films (I don't class The Wicker Man as a horror). The last film I saw was Die Hard, on Christmas Day. Yeah, yeah, I know. Clichéd trope or not, it's tradition so what are you gonna do? :lol: I'm still waiting for them to put "When love is gone" back into A Muppet's Christmas Carol, then I can add this to the yearly tradition. I'm not holding my breath though.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:30 pm

dongregg wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 pm
I can't name a single Midsomer Murders episode that is up to the standards of BBC series like Inspector Morse or those of Agatha Christie.
HI Dongregg, Daniel is referring to the Swedish horror film that came out this year. Having said that, I see you like Morse, have you seen the recent tv series "Endeavour" that deals with his early career from a humble police constable? Still set in Oxford, even though it's not made by the same team that made the original series the atmosphere is the same and it has the same attention to detail that made Morse so good to watch. The casting of Shaun Evans as a younger Morse is spot on.

Endeavour Morse is in the foreground

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks. As I ineptly ramble through the streaming world, I'll watch for "Endeavour."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Parasite -- My favorite film of 2019! Without question! I've been a huge fan of Bong-Joon Ho ever since I saw Memories of Murder and so far (with exception of Okja) he hasn't let me down. A darkly comedic yarn about an incredibly poor family who scam their way into the employee of a well to do upper class family. If you choose to see this then you should go into it completely blind. Let it suck you in and let it enchant you with its mastery of storytelling. I've seen it three times now and it only gets better with every re-watch. Darkly comedic and brilliantly acted by its cast and brilliantly directed by a master who is at the top of his game. My favorite film of 2019, by far!

Crawl -- I wasn't expecting much...and still I feel let down. I generally have liked Alexandre Aja's work in the past and I was hoping for good things from this considering it was produced by Sam Raimi. But oddly enough it's a movie that is almost too dumb and yet, not dumb enough for its own good. As a B movie, I felt like I was always waiting for it to take off and instead I got something that felt like a failure to launch. It's tauntly directed and well acted, but it felt at odds with itself. There are moments where it wants me to take it seriously. Then there are other moments that are just so incredibly dumb that it made me think "why didn't it it just embrace this?"

For instance, the main character gets bitten at least three times by various gators, to the point where she ends up in a death roll towards the end and yet, somehow, she's still able to outswim these Gators? She's still able to shrug off her wounds like they were nothing? That death roll should have shattered her arm if not torn it off entirely! A gators death roll is no joke!

It has moments of pure shlock, but it never embraces its B-movie roots. Also, some of the CG looked fucking atrocious in this movie. From the obvious green screened back drops to the sometimes weightless gators. Again, it just all feels at odds with itself. Is it a shlocky B-movie or trying to be something half way serious? It never figures it out come the end and feels like it suffers from a bit of an identity crisis.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 am

Somehow, I missed this last year. Total creepfest.

Return to “Off Topic”