Last book(s) you read?

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
SpartanAltego

Re: Last book(s) you read?

Post by SpartanAltego » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 pm

After nearly ten years (much like my experience with LtROI) I've rediscovered this gem of a fantasy series. A macabre, intriguing, and sometimes shockingly dark twelve-part vampire saga about a young boy named Darren who - through a series of events - finds himself the child assistant to a vampire. Destiny, love, loss, and death await.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Sounds pretty good.
Which did you encounter first and do you think that shaped how you saw the second?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Am reading Fredrik Backman's 'Us Against You'. I have this from the local library. Because it is a new book in their holdings, I have a short amount of time to read it. I'm about 1/3rd of the way into it and - as usual - impressed by his story telling. I will likely need to return it and then get it out again later. The plight of this wide set of characters - all located in a rural Swedish town - is going to haunt me between now and then.

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:41 pm
Sounds pretty good.
Which did you encounter first and do you think that shaped how you saw the second?
As I recall, I read Cirque first when I was....ten years old, so about 2007. And then encountered LtROI in 2010. Despite them both being vampire fiction I’d say that they didn’t necessarily overlap in my mind. LtROI is about love, isolation, and the ugly realities of living as someone blighted and rejected by nature. Cirque is more about the themes of predestination and free will, and the ability of individuals to truly decide their own fate in a hostile universe that has dark designs for your future.

That said, it did occur to me to attempt a crossover fiction of the two at some point after I finish LtLNE. I think Eli and Oskar would fit in quite well among the traveling circus of fantastical freaks.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am

I'm about half way through "Emporers of Rome"..Some of them were good,some bad and some just plain nuts.Fact really can be stranger than fiction. :shock:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm

I find this article justifies the state of my bookshelves. and the floor around my bookshelves. and the tables and chairs next to the floor that is around my bookshelves.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90275343/wh ... me-to-read

yeh, that's the ticket.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 pm

No fair. The URL gets me there, but then blinks blank!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:15 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm
I find this article justifies the state of my bookshelves. and the floor around my bookshelves. and the tables and chairs next to the floor that is around my bookshelves.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90275343/wh ... me-to-read

yeh, that's the ticket.
Loved the article. I grew up in a household filled to the brim with books, most of which I never read in spite of all my effort. This aticle hits the nail on the head as to how they all made me feel. That's why I prefer wandering around in bookstores rather than brousing on amazon. There's a kind of strength in the humility brought on by all that as yet untapped knowledge staring down at you from those lofty bookshelves, just daring you to catch up before you're left irretrievably behind.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Let 2019 be a year of good reading! I'll keep a list of mine as I go.

from Popular Science, Books are good for your brain. These techniques will help you read more. by Dan Seitz, 1-Jan-2019

• Build a daily reading habit. Start small and give yourself the allowance to not make your daily goal (life happens)
  • Doesn't seem to matter whether you read a physical book or an e-book
  • Doesn't seem to matter whether you listen to an audiobook for read it
  • Reading keeps your brain healthy, might prevent cognitive decline. Zombies prefer healthy brains.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 am

Januari
  • 04/1: Red Kayak - Priscilla Cummings
  • 08/1: Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
  • 21/1: Set Me As A Seal Upon Your Heart - dongregg
  • 30/1: Common Sense - Thomas Paine

Return to “Off Topic”