Forum Outage

Place for topics not directly related to LTROI. This is not an invitation to spam. >:-|
gkmoberg1

Re: Forum Outage

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:55 am

jerrym1951 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm
The Fan Fiction is still offline.
Thank you jerrym1951 ! Same to you dongregg . Keep landing items on this thread. Tak!

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:57 pm

jerrym1951 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm
The Fan Fiction is still offline.
It is indeed, and I do not have an estimate for when it will be back.

For those who are interested, my ISP surprised me by upgrading to a newer version of PHP. It broke the software that runs the fan content area (Drupal). All of the content in the database is still intact, and even if it weren't I have backups. The problem is just finding a way to make it available on the web. I think that the path forward will be to update to a current version of Drupal, and then fix whatever problems that causes. I am pretty sure it used some plug-ins that are no longer supported, and I have fallen out of contact with the person who originally set it up for me. At this time, I cannot estimate how long it will take. :(
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:23 pm

It's enough to know you're on it and the content is safe. You don't need to reply, but I wonder why it is that some paths will still open fan fics. :think:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 am

I have copies of the FF indices on my computer, so it should not be hard to replace them if we need to.

JuliusCZ

Post by JuliusCZ » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 am

Hello, do you think about idea to get fan content on Wordpress instead of Drupal? It's more easier to control everything. And there are a lot more people who work with Wordpress.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, JuliusCZ! Once the fan fics are available again, you're going to see a dragon's hoard of great reading! 8-)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:17 pm

JuliusCZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 am
Hello, do you think about idea to get fan content on Wordpress instead of Drupal? It's more easier to control everything. And there are a lot more people who work with Wordpress.
The last time I looked at Wordpress (c. 2014), it made it pretty difficult to present content in anything other than chronological order. Does it offer tools for user access control and content moderation? This is an interesting idea... :think:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

JuliusCZ

Post by JuliusCZ » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:17 pm
JuliusCZ wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 am
The last time I looked at Wordpress (c. 2014), it made it pretty difficult to present content in anything other than chronological order. Does it offer tools for user access control and content moderation? This is an interesting idea... :think:
It's been 5 and half years, so Wordpress developed far far ahead. It's basic options witch you need, like: users access control. And I can Google about content moderation. But it's also basic thing, in my opinion. I will look more about it.
P.S. I bought for my self Divi theme with life time license. And it get's a lot of development and updates because it's one of the biggest company in this niche.
I can share that theme for free. Plius there are plugins which possible to combine with theme.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:57 am

The Fan Content area is now back up and running. I believe that all content has been restored, and all previous links to it work as they did before. However, I have not been able to make it look as attractive and debonair as the rest of the site. My apologies. It looks ugly. :( This will get fixed at some point, but at least it appears to be fully functional as far a viewing what was there before. If you find any links that don't appear to work or if anything else seems broken, please post about it in this thread.

Content Creators: Most logins are currently disabled. The moderation functions will now be working differently, and I need to take some time to figure how out they work and that they work correctly. If you need to login to edit something or add something, ping me. I can always use some beta testers.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 am

Thank you for the grueling work you put in to getting us this far. Thank you for your constant attention to the site, and thank heavens for your faith that WTI is still important.

I'll PM you when I find I can't do something, at which time I'll gladly accept any beta testing you can throw my way. Right now I've got upwards of a year's updates on Set Me As a Seal to put in. That mostly includes suggestions by members and by a professional beta reader of my own.

:wub:

Return to “Off Topic”