A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
metoo

Re: A New Life - fan fiction by metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:36 pm

In this posting, Siggdalos reminded me of JAL's book Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre, where JAL writes about his writing process. As I re-read the chapter about LTROI, I remembered a piece of fan fiction that I wrote may years ago. It is discussed in this thread, starting here.

JAL used to have a personal web site that he managed himself, with an accompanying web forum. The forum disappeared and the site stagnated eventually. Now it’s gone and a new site has been created, but this time it is run for JAL by someone else. Anyway, JAL used to post stuff on his forum occasionally, and once he mentioned that an early version of Eli was capable of transforming himself extensively, which he used to transform himself into a sexy, young woman in order to seduce Tommy. (This is mentioned also in Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre.)

Anyway, some remnants of Eli's capability of transformation still remain in the novel. I had noticed this and used it in some of my fan fiction, such as the one discussed in this thread.

However, like JAL himself, I later have found it problematic if Eli is too powerful. A vulnerable character is more interesting than one with limitless superhuman capabilities. I therefore came to the conclusion that in my fan fiction Eli should only be able to do a limited set of transformations (teeth, claws and wings). These would be provided by the infection and could be called on by the infected, but wouldn't require much interaction.

Still, I like the idea that flying wasn't innate to Eli, but that he had to develop a way to create wings and then learn to fly. I also like that he had to teach Oskar how to make wings and fly in this story. Perhaps I will return to this version of Eli in some future fan fiction.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Blood

Post by Blood » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 am

metoo

Thank you for this awesome fan fiction. The language lesson story was adorable.

metoo

Post by metoo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:14 am

Blood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 am
Thank you for this awesome fan fiction. The language lesson story was adorable.
Thanks!
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Fan Fiction”