Set Me as a Seal Part 1

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
epicfan84

Re: Set Me As a Seal upon Your Heart

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:26 am

metoo wrote:
epicfan84 wrote:Well that's why it's called fan fiction. We've obviously seen that their lives are not uneventful and repetitive after seeing the work of great FF writers such as dongregg. What might be a cool idea is if they actually get captured somehow and have to fight their way out. I'm not an amazing fiction writer or brainstormer, but I know in the world of LTROI there are many possibilities for great FFs. Now, if the story was resolved already such as I don't know... Harry Potter or something, then it's a different story. JAL has left the story wide open to FF.
Well, to write fan fiction poses the same problem as writing a sequel: How to make an exciting story? So the writer adds exciting stuff, and soon the story isn't about the original characters anymore. What I find hard is to write something that feels like a continuation of LtROI, not just a spin-off. I have written lots of fan fiction (here, here, and here), and some of those stories I wouldn't write today because they diverge more than I like from what I (today) consider true to LtROI. My LtROI, that is. Yours may be different.
I know what you mean. You can't just jump the shark and make something that totally strays off from the original, but you have to make it interesting. It's sorta like the Canon and Extended universe for Star Wars. It really depends on personal preference though, like you said.
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:06 am

dongregg wrote:It's not actually 33 chapters. It's...wait for it...64 chapters!

It's by PeteMork, and Daniel Ether drew a lot of illustrations for it.

I believe this is the story that Daniel also made into a lovingly bound book for PeteMork.
Indeed it was, but it included the first two tales as well: Coming in from the Cold, and The Dawson Family. The evolution of Daniel's artwork and a picture of the beautiful book he sent me can be found here:
http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =13&t=7415

@epicfan84:
Don is too kind. If you check out the Fan Fiction Master Index he mentioned above: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=8291,
you'll find a plethora of wonderful short stories, novelettes, and full-length novels, all well-written and all inspired by the unconditional love between Eli and Oskar.

And I fully expect (and hope) we haven't seen the last of Don. :mrgreen:

To partially address the issue of 'Canon,' keep in mind that many of the stories you will find here (including mine) were conceived before JAL wrote his short-story sequel in which Oskar's final 'disposition' was revealed; written at least in part to address the mistaken idea that Oskar was merely another Håkan in a long cycle of helpers.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:45 am

PeteMork wrote:
dongregg wrote:It's not actually 33 chapters. It's...wait for it...64 chapters!

It's by PeteMork, and Daniel Ether drew a lot of illustrations for it.

I believe this is the story that Daniel also made into a lovingly bound book for PeteMork.
Indeed it was, but it included the first two tales as well: Coming in from the Cold, and The Dawson Family. The evolution of Daniel's artwork and a picture of the beautiful book he sent me can be found here:
http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =13&t=7415

@epicfan84:
Don is too kind. If you check out the Fan Fiction Master Index he mentioned above: http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... =12&t=8291,
you'll find a plethora of wonderful short stories, novelettes, and full-length novels, all well-written and all inspired by the unconditional love between Eli and Oskar.

And I fully expect (and hope) we haven't seen the last of Don. :mrgreen:

To partially address the issue of 'Canon,' keep in mind that many of the stories you will find here (including mine) were conceived before JAL wrote his short-story sequel in which Oskar's final 'disposition' was revealed; written at least in part to address the mistaken idea that Oskar was merely another Håkan in a long cycle of helpers.
Ohhh ok I'll keep that in mind. After reading some I had a feeling that was the case. What an awesome book though... That must be amazing to see you wrote that huge book but I digress. We'd love to see some more Don!!! Make it happen!!! :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

PeteMork wrote:...To partially address the issue of 'Canon,' keep in mind that many of the stories you will find here (including mine) were conceived before JAL wrote his short-story sequel in which Oskar's final 'disposition' was revealed; written at least in part to address the mistaken idea that Oskar was merely another Håkan in a long cycle of helpers.
Dear epicfan84. I respect the canon a lot. But the canon covers a lot of ground, so when forum members write stories that cover a period before or after Blackeberg, I try to fit my ideas of stories around what they have already written. Of course, as Pete says, some stories were written before LTODD, so...

But I don't think my careful observance of what we (I) know from the film is necessarily a "standard" of any kind. It lets me hang out with the Oskar and Eli that I feel comfortable with, but you'll read stories based on the film and book that take place in Mexico, for example, with different but similar characters (lombano). And Pete has a story where Eli shows up in California. Way chilling. Sometimes our writers have Oskar staying unchanged but dying young (Eeek!) or dying old. Or dream sequences in which one of them has to kill the other one. And phantasmagorical sequences that are psychedelic, over the top.

To me it's all good. I'll stay "close to home" because the film is where Eli and Oskar live in my heart, but I admire all of the efforts our members have made to share their love of LTROI.

I'm really impressed by the research that GK puts into his pre-Blackeberg tales of Eli. I want to follow him there, and I started out doing some research; but I realized that my knowledge of the film can be extended into the future, but it would be of little (but some) value in writing about the past. I would have to get the book, read it, and probably really study it. (GK says he'll read me one page a night!) :)

Hey, I got out my books on Old English and particularly on Beowulf. I doubt I'll ever write anything about Beowulf as a vampire. I mean, he lived (if he lived at all) about 1,500 years ago. That would be a lot of filling in to get him up to Göteborg in 1981! Probably more fun thinking about him interacting with O & E than it would be writing it. There would also have to be a seminal story recasting Beowulf as a vampire when he battled Grendel, but to what purpose? Beowulf was so powerful that, when he grabbed Grendel's arm, Grendel pulled to get away so hard that his arm came off at the shoulder. No explanation needed.

Okay. Back to my job!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:30 am

dongregg wrote:
PeteMork wrote:...To partially address the issue of 'Canon,' keep in mind that many of the stories you will find here (including mine) were conceived before JAL wrote his short-story sequel in which Oskar's final 'disposition' was revealed; written at least in part to address the mistaken idea that Oskar was merely another Håkan in a long cycle of helpers.
Dear epicfan84. I respect the canon a lot. But the canon covers a lot of ground, so when forum members write stories that cover a period before or after Blackeberg, I try to fit my ideas of stories around what they have already written. Of course, as Pete says, some stories were written before LTODD, so...

But I don't think my careful observance of what we (I) know from the film is necessarily a "standard" of any kind. It lets me hang out with the Oskar and Eli that I feel comfortable with, but you'll read stories based on the film and book that take place in Mexico, for example, with different but similar characters (lombano). And Pete has a story where Eli shows up in California. Way chilling. Sometimes our writers have Oskar staying unchanged but dying young (Eeek!) or dying old. Or dream sequences in which one of them has to kill the other one. And phantasmagorical sequences that are psychedelic, over the top.

To me it's all good. I'll stay "close to home" because the film is where Eli and Oskar live in my heart, but I admire all of the efforts our members have made to share their love of LTROI.

I'm really impressed by the research that GK puts into his pre-Blackeberg tales of Eli. I want to follow him there, and I started out doing some research; but I realized that my knowledge of the film can be extended into the future, but it would be of little (but some) value in writing about the past. I would have to get the book, read it, and probably really study it. (GK says he'll read me one page a night!) :)

Hey, I got out my books on Old English and particularly on Beowulf. I doubt I'll ever write anything about Beowulf as a vampire. I mean, he lived (if he lived at all) about 1,500 years ago. That would be a lot of filling in to get him up to Göteborg in 1981! Probably more fun thinking about him interacting with O & E than it would be writing it. There would also have to be a seminal story recasting Beowulf as a vampire when he battled Grendel, but to what purpose? Beowulf was so powerful that, when he grabbed Grendel's arm, Grendel pulled to get away so hard that his arm came off at the shoulder. No explanation needed.

Okay. Back to my job!
Wow... Lots of possibilities then. I'll keep all of this in mind when I'm reading. Thanks for welcoming me so nicely all of you guys!

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:25 pm

I take it back. I was forgetting the great tales of the late Tanith Lee (she passed last month), such as Cinderella as a witch and Snow White as a vampire! (It's why Snow White was so pale.) I think she could easily have cast Beowulf as a vampire (and Grendel as a "zombie"?).

My introduction to Ms. Lee came with The Flat-Earth Cycle, beginning with Night's Master and Death's Master. The trope "When the earth was still flat..." continues to resonate with me, as in "When bacon was still good for you..." :lol:

So, I don't think a tale of Beowulf, Oskar, and Eli hanging out together will be forthcoming. It seems to me right now that it would be disrespectful to Beowulf and to the kids. There may be a place for it in Little Funny Fictions. Maybe Clubmeister could have a go at it.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:40 am

I think Malmö would be a perfect spot. They could flit from Sweden to Denmark to the low countries to Germany to England and such. No need for papers. They could be always on the move and returning to Malmö for hibernation; never to hunt there. Urban areas provide lots of good hiding locations and this one speaks their native language - always a bonus.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:42 am

dongregg wrote:(GK says he'll read me one page a night!) :)
Yes I did!

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:52 am

dongregg, this story moves along so very well as it is right now. There is a gentle climbing sense of resolve, despite the conflict that sets the story in motion. We clamber for these two get along and to somehow find a 'happily ever after'. The rift that creates this story jeopardizes that. Eli is our hero here, but so too is Oskar. Both prove themselves here well. At the end I am filled with a sense of accomplishment. Eli is there for Oskar at a moment when he needs reassurance. Eli has put aside, well, being Eli, in order to go retrieve Oskar. And Oskar has found that what was once is home is no longer his home. It took a took a trip for Oskar to place himself physically in the location where he could discover this for himself - there's no place like home, but it's simply no longer to be found with his mama. Ah, Eli & Oskar; may they always be there for each other.

Sounds like Eli has taken it to heart to undertake some change in thinking and in action as a result of all this. I think that will be for the better.

Excuse me for a bit, I going to back and read it again. :wub:

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:23 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:dongregg, this story moves along so very well as it is right now. There is a gentle climbing sense of resolve, despite the conflict that sets the story in motion. We clamber for these two get along and to somehow find a 'happily ever after'. The rift that creates this story jeopardizes that. Eli is our hero here, but so too is Oskar. Both prove themselves here well. At the end I am filled with a sense of accomplishment. Eli is there for Oskar at a moment when he needs reassurance. Eli has put aside, well, being Eli, in order to go retrieve Oskar. And Oskar has found that what was once is home is no longer his home. It took a took a trip for Oskar to place himself physically in the location where he could discover this for himself - there's no place like home, but it's simply no longer to be found with his mama. Ah, Eli & Oskar; may they always be there for each other.

Sounds like Eli has taken it to heart to undertake some change in thinking and in action as a result of all this. I think that will be for the better.

Excuse me for a bit, I going to back and read it again. :wub:
I like that the whole story is a journey. I like that, although they are journeying separately, their thoughts and feelings continually revolve around each other.

The journey does not take either one of them to where they think they are going. Eli thinks she is going to find Oskar, but she finds a new Eli, filled with resolve to be the kind of friend Oskar wants her to be. Oskar thinks he is returning to the familiar, a kind of returning home, but he finds his renewed love and need for Eli instead.

I like that they are kids. They are both sharp, but this is the first time either of them has had to deal with a relationship. And I like that I got the opportunity to expand on and illustrate their characteristics we see in the film. Bright, nerdy Oskar, and calm, intuitive Eli.

I like that Eli already knows love is everything and doesn't hesitate to go after Oskar. For her, "Then I'll help you. I can do it." is not a promise that has an expiration date. " ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

I appreciate the encouragement I received to continue the story from the one-off vignette. Writing about Oskar and Eli means I get to spend quality time with the two pals. And in Sweden. There is so much I learned that didn't make it to the page. Göteborg. Hanging around Örebro University with them. How being on the run led to them skulking around, unlike when they were laughing and goofing around Blackeberg and the candy kiosk.

What's next for them? I don't know. I think they will appreciate cuddling in Eli's hideout in the forest preserve in Vällingby. I think they will consider doing what it takes to return to a freer lifestyle, and that could mean leaving Sweden. And definitely practicing better hygiene and fashion sense.

Well, let them have their night of cuddling in Eli's hideout, and then we shall see...

Return to “Fan Fiction”