Coming in from the Cold

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
PeteMork

Re: Coming in from the Cold

Post by PeteMork » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm

DMt. wrote:It's a family of males, but it's still a family. I wonder if a woman will manifest at some point.

It would have to be an extremely open-minded, brave, and patient sort of woman. Putting up with Dawson and Eli at the same time would be challenging. :D As I try to express in my writing, I consider Eli to be the female influence in the 'family,' by her own choice.

This comment from another thread,
DMt. wrote:Prepubertal sexuality isn't specifically genital, but that doesn't mean it isn't sexuality; nor does it mean it's not pure, IMO, even if it does get a bit contaminated with socially-imposed prurience[s].
and these from yet another thread,
DMt. wrote:
gattoparde59 wrote:It seems as though we are confusing physical affection with sexuality. I reckon the reverse sort of confusion also happens. :(
This is absolutely key to the theme, I think. The boundary between sexuality and physical affection is a fuzzy one at best [for me anyway] and Eli, though asexual in any genital sense, is nonetheless evidently capable of affection, even passion, as is Oskar.
are a major component of my interpretation of Oskar and Eli’s relationship.

Eli’s relationship with Dawson is also a bit complicated. She sees him as a replacement for her long-lost family, someone she can seek comfort from and who she can turn to for answers when her ethical conflicts become too much for her to handle; consequently, she feels the urge to protect him and watch over him. (a 'motherly' instinct? ;) ) Oskar’s relationship with Dawson is much simpler. (He is, after all, just 12 years old) Dawson is the father Oskar has always wanted and needed.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Chapter 12: Oskar's Birthday

Here’s the last chapter. I hope the ending isn’t too syrupy, but I thought Eli deserved a bit of syrup after 200 years of s__t. Much thanks to Sean for allowing me to use one of his beautiful drawings, which just seemed to fit too perfectly into the story to pass up on. Thanks for all your comments in the past. I REALLY appreciate them.

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... s-birthday

Happy Easter everyone!
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

hillerr

Post by hillerr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:52 am

I really like this series. Well done.

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04 am

Pete, thank you for a wonderful,fun,exciting and endearing story. i truly enjoyed every letter and looked forward to each chapter. your way of allowing Oskar and Eli to be together always was very creative and satisfying. your story, along with so many other examples of incredibly written tales here, has given me what i've wanted ever since i fell in love with LTROI: more of Oskar and Eli. thanks again. i hope you'll write more. :D
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:22 pm

A nice finish PeteMork! Un-ambiguously happy!
I like how you made the cube your own!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:34 pm

I like it, an unambiguously happy ending but still leaving ambiguities, such as whether a cure will ever be found, what will happen to Dawson, etc.
Bli mig lite.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I like it, that's a good place to finish, the short term future looks good for all of them :)
Team Eli

darman1817

Post by darman1817 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:48 pm

moonvibe34 wrote:Pete, thank you for a wonderful,fun,exciting and endearing story. i truly enjoyed every letter and looked forward to each chapter. your way of allowing Oskar and Eli to be together always was very creative and satisfying. your story, along with so many other examples of incredibly written tales here, has given me what i've wanted ever since i fell in love with LTROI: more of Oskar and Eli. thanks again. i hope you'll write more. :D
Moonvibe sums up my thoughts exactly. Thanks for a great storyline! As for the final words

"...Oscar dreamt that he was on a train, looking out the window as it pulled away from the station platform. He could see the reflection of Eli’s beautiful face in the window as she sat beside him with her arm around him. They were at the beginning of an exciting journey together.
END?"

Let's hope not! But take a well deserved rest, Pete!

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:49 pm

PeteMork wrote:Chapter 12: Oskar's Birthday

Here’s the last chapter. I hope the ending isn’t too syrupy, but I thought Eli deserved a bit of syrup after 200 years of s__t. Much thanks to Sean for allowing me to use one of his beautiful drawings, which just seemed to fit too perfectly into the story to pass up on. Thanks for all your comments in the past. I REALLY appreciate them.

http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... s-birthday

Happy Easter everyone!
A little syrupiness never bothers me. If there's too much syrup, I'll just put the excess on pancakes or waffles. :lol:

A nice ending to the story. A little ambiguous (Eli is already scheming) but that's OK. But I think the ball is still on the field if someone wanted to pick it up and run. It might be interesting if Eli could bring her scheme to fruition.
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

lombano

Post by lombano » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 pm

gary13136 wrote:A little ambiguous (Eli is already scheming) but that's OK.
Well, Eli is a centuries-old predator that looks like an angelic child, if she spent too long without scheming she would probably explode or something. :D
Bli mig lite.

Return to “Fan Fiction”