Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

A forum for discussing fan fiction related to Let The Right One In
andmker

Re: Let The Wrong One Out (Fan Fiction)

Post by andmker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:10 pm

************ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ***************************

There are countless schools of thought when it comes to death – most of them rather simplistic. One day you are born and one day you die, the bit in between is just filler. Things are never as simple as they may seem and the definition of “alive” and “dead” are somewhat more grey than most people will ever realise. In the case of Oscar Eriksson, he knew that technically he should be dead – but he was not.

His best friend was more than two hundred years old and she didn’t look a day over twelfth. Exactly how that was possible was a difficult concept for either one of them to grasp or explain, it was just the way things were. Recent events however meant that Oscar was now between “worlds” and awaiting the outcome. Eli could not let him die – in her mind, there was no other choice, no other option. She choose to make Oscar like her and hoped that he would (quickly) come around to her way of living.

Oscar had not really been on speaking terms with her for the last few days. He just felt violated and scared at what had happened and what was going to happen next. Over the last two day’s she had repeatedly snuck into his room unnoticed and left food and water by his side. She knew that he was pissed-off but knew that her time to explain would come. At the same time, Oscar discerned that he would need to speak to her and soon. He was starting to feel his strength return and his energy levels begin to restore. With that, he couldn’t understand why. Surely if he was turning into what Eli was, then he shouldn’t still be eating ‘human’ food and be able to have the sunlight on him. He felt trapped between who and what he was and scared at the idea of what he would become and when. It was not until the following day that the silence between them was broken.

Despite lacking energy and almost incapacitated by pain, Oscar forced himself to get out of bed. He didn’t make it far – collapsing into the sofa feeling as if he had just run a marathon. He didn't have a clue what time of day it was or even the day itself come to think of it. Eli was sat at the table and watched him without saying anything. Resisting the temptation to take a deep breath (as doing so would open the wound further;) he carefully asked what was on his mind.

“Well, how long will this take?”
Eli looked down at the table, almost ashamed to look at him.
“Oscar, I couldn’t just...”
“How long?” he asked again raising his voice.
“Another two days. Maybe three since you were badly hurt.”

He felt like he had just been told that he only had two days or so to live but he knew that was not really the case.

“Will my wound heal?”
“I don’t know” she replied still avoiding eye contact.
Her hesitation in answering and her quiet tone suggested to Oscar that she did know and the answer was – no.
“Will the pain stop?” was his next question.
Again she hesitated before answering but her answer was the same as before.
“You must know! What about your scar – does that still hurt?” demanded Oscar.
“Oscar, that was...different. When that happened the wound was fixed. It was after that before...” she was unable to finish her sentence as he leaned towards her and repeated his question.

“Does it still hurt? Yes or no?”
“I still have feeling down there and yes...sometimes.”
Oscar looked down and shook his head. The idea that this hole in his chest would not heal and would always cause him pain was disturbing on top of everything else he had to deal with.

“It doesn’t change you in here. You will still be the same Oscar as yesterday” said Eli pointing to her head and finally looking at him.

He did not respond. How on earth could he be the same if he was becoming like her? Eli was his best friend; he did not want to upset her but his anger was stemming from the fact that he didn’t ask her to do this. He knew why she had done it – maybe part of him should be grateful as otherwise, he would be dead. Yet he had not expected that he would become like her so soon. He was a young teenager and had been looking forward to growing up and becoming a man with everything that involved.

What seemed to bother him the most (and he did not know why) was that Eli looked so pretty right now. She looked the healthiest that he had seen her in a long time – many months in fact. Her skin was smooth and clear, her hair full of life and body, and her eyes beautifully bright. Naturally, she had just fed on human blood – on his blood. He was the reason for her current appearance and magnetism.

Oscar stayed on the sofa, not really having a choice, and tried to watch television to pass the entire day. After a short time, Eli retreated to the bathroom concluding that for the moment he did not want to speak any further.

The day passed quickly with him moving as little as possible. He was beginning to feel like his ‘normal’ self again but was unsure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Not really focusing on whatever programs were on – he allowed his mind to wander and explore what was happening. The thoughts that entered his head were strange.

“We’re going to need another bathtub” he whispered to himself as if it was a pressing priority. The idea was dismissed soon after – maybe they could share?

Maybe being like Eli would not be so bad? She would help him and once he had gotten used to it, they would be able to do so much for so many years. Oscar knew that while he was gaining a lot, he was also losing a lot. No more ‘real’ food, no more chocolate or crisps, no more sunlight. It was strange that he thought gaining immortality, strength, and the speed that Eli has was overruled by the idea of no more chocolate...ever!

Then there was the difficult concept of knowing that he would have to kill to survive – to do what Eli had done over the years. Keeping her fed was problematic and now he would have to worry about sustaining himself as well. Part of him wished that they were still in Blackeberg, that his former classmates who had taunted him were still alive. That way he could get his revenge on them as he had always dreamt but also use them to sustain himself and not have to target the "innocent".

After many hours of internalizing he was comforted by the notion that he would never have to worry about losing his hair, getting wrinkles, or growing old.
During his day of contemplation and consideration – balancing and counterbalancing the pros and cons of what he would become, he lost track of time and before he knew it Eli had awoken and re-entered the room.

“Oscar, stop playing with it!”
Eli had caught him using his finger to explore the outside of his bullet hole.
“It’s itchy and sore” he replied annoyed.
“You will make it worse,” Eli added.
“You should have left the bullet in me, that way it might have healed.”
She shook her head slowly for too many seconds.
“If I did, every time you moved it could have started to bleed again.”

Oscar started to feel his anger return – he was not sure where it was coming from but Eli’s dismissive attitude and calmness had annoyed him.

“Thanks, now I have a hole inside me that might never heal. Well, I suppose it’s only fitting. At least one of us should have a hole” Oscar sneered throwing the meanest look he could muster towards her.

“Oscar...THAT was uncalled for.”

The combination of anger, pain, and worry within him finally exploded and he launched himself at Eli – head butting her in the chest and grabbing her around her waist. She allowed him to do so, offering no resistance and Oscar pulled her around and they both fell to the floor. He landed on top of Eli and wrapped his hands around her neck trying his best to strangle her. Eli simply raised her eyebrows and looked at him as if to ask “what exactly are you trying to achieve” which enraged Oscar more so. Keeping one hand on her throat, he used the other hand to punch her in the stomach but she barely flinched – it hurt Oscar’s fist more.

“Fight me! Just kill me!” he shouted with his face just inches from her own but she remained patient and calm.
“Oscar, this is normal – it will pass.”

Just as she finished her sentence, he put the side of his wrist in her mouth and pushed up on her chin hard in an effort to try and get her to bite down and drink whatever blood he had left inside him.

Eli had been patient enough and with his refusal to calm down she concluded that there was only one solution. She kneed Oscar in the groin with enough strength that it sent him flying over her head. He landed shoddily in a heap with his eyes watering from the unexpected impact. Oscar with his eyes closed reached down for his knife which he had tucked down his sock. Just as he managed to grab it, he was kicked in the stomach. The force of Eli’s kick lifted him off the ground and sent him crashing into the television. The impact of his back smashing the glass made such a sound that they both paused in shock for a few seconds.

It was Oscar who moved next trying to grab one of Eli’s ankles but she simply stood on top of his hand to prevent him from doing so. His eyes were still watering from the pain in his chest, in his groin, on his back and now in his hand but he was determined to keep fighting.

"Fight me for real. You owe me for my blood" he shouted up at her.

Using his free hand, Oscar grabbed a piece of the broken glass and swiped towards Eli. On his first attempt, he managed to scratch the side of her leg just breaking her skin and no more. Even that was enough to make her take a few steps back which freed Oscar. He tried to both stand-up and throw himself at her in a single motion but doing so - in such a clumsy manner - simply allowed Eli to grab him in the air.

Holding him by his belt and shirt collar, she swung him around a few times as if he was a rag doll before throwing him down into the sofa. Somehow Oscar managed to grab onto Eli as she released him and pulled her down with him. The pair rolled about the floor for at least ten minutes trying to subdue the other. Oscar could tell that Eli was holding back. She seemed to be playing for time, using minimal resistance and waiting for him to simply tire himself out. He was annoyed that she could block every attempt he made to punch, grab or slap her before he did so – as if she knew in advance what he was about to do.

Finally, in a moment of hesitation from Eli, he took the opportunity to grab his knife that had now come into reach. Naturally, she noticed and as Oscar held the knife in one hand over Eli’s leg she grabbed his wrist tightly. Unexpectedly rather than push his hand away, she slowly guided the knife up towards her chest and over her heart allowing the tip of the blade to come into contact with her red t-shirt.

“Go on. Do it then,” she said calmly and loosened her grip just enough to allow Oscar to choose what he wanted to do.

Oscar looked at his shaking hand gripping the knife. He suddenly felt as if he had just jumped into an ice-cold lake. He looked down at Eli who simply tilted her head and smiled back up at him. He couldn’t believe what he had done here tonight. He couldn’t believe how he had treated her recently.

“You are still my Oscar. I am still your Eli.”

With everything negative and angry inside of him melting away in an instant, he commanded himself to relax and as Eli let go of his wrist, he threw the knife away completely ashamed of his actions. He went to speak, he went to apologise but no words came out. Instead, Oscar collapsed down onto Eli and started to cry tremendously. All she did was hold on to him and stroke his hair and Oscar knew at that point – nothing else mattered. He was still going to be Oscar and he was still going to be with Eli...forever.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Great choreography of a complex scene. Oskar's thoughts and feelings are realistic and "natural." :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

andmker

Post by andmker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:51 pm

dongregg wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 pm
Great choreography of a complex scene. Oskar's thoughts and feelings are realistic and "natural." :)
Thanks took me a while lol. Yeah I felt that he needed to explode and get angry, not necessary with Eli but just at the reality he was in. He is scared and worried, I doubt many people would just accept it.

I tried to give the impression that Eli knew he was going to get angry. That she was waiting for it. I felt that his insult (his stab) at Eli about his/her lack of antomony was a bit out of character but needed to show his emotional state.

Now they can both face what comes next.

Interestingly your reply has just made me notice that at some point I started spelling Oskar as Oscar. Not sure when that happened... Will have to go back and fix it lol

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Thoughts needed 🤔

What would be better for the reader (i.e. you lol).

Is a chapter detailing Oskars transformation needed or would you prefer a shorter account allowing for him to explore and be taught by Eli?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Honestly, either one would be great!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

andmker

Post by andmker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:43 pm

dongregg wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:49 pm
Honestly, either one would be great!
I'll write both.... then decide haha 😄

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm not going to that hotel. :lol:

To this point, this has certainly been to 'let the wrong one out'. Congrats on having built a solid story. You add a nice rounding to Eli's character. The bits with Robbie and the Albin add up. The confrontation is quite frightening. And so too is the aftermath with Oskar's (Oscar's :) ) boiling anger. Bravo!

andmker

Post by andmker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:22 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:03 pm
I'm not going to that hotel. :lol:

To this point, this has certainly been to 'let the wrong one out'. Congrats on having built a solid story. You add a nice rounding to Eli's character. The bits with Robbie and the Albin add up. The confrontation is quite frightening. And so too is the aftermath with Oskar's (Oscar's :) ) boiling anger. Bravo!
I'm blaming my spell checker... it doesn't like the word OSKAR it keeps coming up as an error but OSCAR doesn't lol.

I thought about the scene in the book where Oskar thinks he is infected and is going to become a vampire. He tells his mother, and he sounds upset and scared at the idea. I thought that anger should it happen at that point in my story would be normal and natural.

But yeah poor Oskar. That hole in his chest will cause some problems 😳

Thanks. Glad you found time to read it all lol. I stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam which was like the one I described in the story and no I wouldn't go back haha

andmker

Post by andmker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 pm

CAUTION: This chapter contains scenes of sensuality.

************* CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO ***************************

When Eli was a small boy many, many years ago – there were so many things in the world that he (as well as everyone else) did not understand. How could you possibly explain the stars in the sky or what causes earthquakes and lightning? People did not understand the basics or even worse had the completely wrong idea about things considered so simple today. People who got caught doing ill-deeds often claimed the devil “made them do it” and often the excuse would result in them escaping punishments. After all who would dare invoke the devil's name in such as way?

He was born in an age where if someone sneezed – another person absolutely must say “bless-you” otherwise the unlucky person’s soul ejected from their bodies through nasal expulsion. At one point in his childhood, Eli caught a rather nasty cold. He had become convinced that the snot running from his nose was his soul – every time he leaked or some escaped, he would try and find someone to bless it back into him. Although in hindsight his behaviour could have been caused by fever. Or maybe it was the delirium induced by being force-fed onion-tea five times a day by his mother in an effort to cure his cold (and of course ward off the devil).

Eli was always an outdoor sort of person – often wanting to explore by walking off in random directions to see what he could find. His mother used to tell him stories about the animals in the woods which fuelled his desire to get out and explore more. As a result, his mother switched to more mythological creatures explaining that Eli would have to travel to the other side of the world to find them. Then there was the sun or “god” as he was told one day by a priest in the church.

“That big warm thing up there – that is god looking down on us all. The warmth is his love.”

Naturally being a child, Eli believed it and every single morning for about a year he would try to look up at the yellow dot in the sky and wave his hand to greet him. He would never have thought for one second that one day he would never be able to go out in the sun again. While Eli had pleasant thoughts about what she could remember from childhood, the lack of being able to go out and wave to the sun still sometimes made her sad. For many years after being made what she is now – she honestly believed that she had offended “god.” His now deadly fire warmth (should she dare venture out) was his attempt to send her to hell. Out of everything she often missed the sun more. That is why she had locked Oscar out of the flat in the early hours of the morning much to his dismay.

“It’s too early” he yawned in protest as she guided him towards the door.
“Get some sun while you can” she demanded with a gentle push and then throwing him his jacket.

Oscar looked at his watch; it had been a long time since he had been out of bed at this time. The last time was likely when he was still delivering leaflets back in Blackeberg – his mother used to push him out the door sometimes and like he had told Eli, he would often protest that it was too early.

“Some advance warning would have been nice” he muttered walking down the stairs.
With that, he put his hands in the jacket pocket to warm up his fingers and noticed that both of them contained something. The left pocket had a chocolate bar and the right pocket had several banknotes folded neatly into a square. There was also a small piece of paper from Eli that simply read ‘have fun.’ He grinned, pulled his hood up to protect himself from the light rain outside, and set about enjoying what could very well be his last chance to do a lot of things.

Forming a rough list in his head of where to go and what to do, returning to the cafe where he had been before (and embarrassed himself) was at the top. Hoping that Amelia the waitress would be working and that she would remember him. After getting off the tram, he decided to do some shopping on the high street as he walked up to where he remembered the cafe being. Oscar looked at his jacket – like him, it had seen better days. The brown leather had begun to crack at the elbows and the colour on the back was now rather faded. He smelt it and beneath the dampness, he could detect the faintest trace of Eli, not that he minded. That all being said, when he saw a very groovy multicoloured ski-jacket in one of the windows, he purchased it as a treat to himself. It was good to have a new jacket. It was more lightweight than his old one but he felt like it would keep him warmer – even if that wouldn’t be required much longer. He kindly asked the shopkeeper to dispose of his old jacket. The shop was happy to comply, especially as Oscar also bought a new (thinner) hat, a new pair of very expensive boots, and some new (slightly larger) underwear. Normally he would have felt embarrassed at buying underwear but not today. Besides, it wasn’t as bad as clothes shopping with his mother.

Entering the cafe carrying a few small bags he saw Amelia who smiled ever so slightly when she saw him. Feeling hungry Oscar took a seat near the window that was being bathed by the sunlight. It felt good to sit down even if the metal seats were still cold. He took the chance to catch his breath, pressing down on his wound as he did so to prevent exasperating his injury.

“Hi,” said Amelia warmly, ignoring another customer that had been waiting longer than he had.
“Hey,” he said gripping down into the menu to control his nerves.

She looked as pretty as he had remembered. That long blonde hair that had grown about an inch, those pale green eyes that looked like she had stolen them from a painting. He made a point of looking directly at her face and not repeating his previous behaviour of looking down at her body.

“You want a cola?”
“Actually, I fancy something hot. I’m pretty hungry. What would you suggest?”

Amelia’s eyebrows raised ever so slightly and she leaned into Oscar to point down at the menu. Her long hair brushed against the side of Oscar’s neck and he felt himself tingle all over.

“We’re still doing breakfast. Our eggs are great and come with rye bread. I like the stewed squash granola and yoghurt. Plus you have to try our flaky pastry with cinnamon and crushed sugar.”

Oscar spent the entire time looking up at her face and not once at the menu.
“Sounds great, I’ll have it all, plus a milkshake please.”
The waitress nodded impressed, muttered something about being glad that he knew what he wanted, and walked off with his order. The other customer sighed loudly that he had been ignored twice but Amelia simply walked past him.

That is how Oscar spent his morning. Eating food – enjoying every single bite knowing that soon only one thing would be on his diet. He hadn’t eaten much over previous days having being bed-ridden and he was absolutely making up for it now. Amelia had been correct about their eggs and he ordered a second helping.

“You eating for two or something?” she joked with him when he made his request.
Oscar was glad that the cafe was quiet this morning. It meant that he could keep finding excuses to talk to the waitress and she seemed as eager as he was to engage in conversation. Completely stuffed with food to the point of being ready to explode he finally asked for his bill. Sadly Amelia had disappeared by that point – maybe on a break or maybe done for the day – but much to his delight, she had written her telephone number on the back of the bill.

He didn’t make it very far after leaving the cafe and was thankful for the opportunity to sit down on a park bench just a few hundred yards away. From there he spent a few hours letting his feast digest and just watching everyone go about their business completely unaware of what Oscar was soon to become. It felt strange that he knew something that most people did not – part of him felt like shouting it out from the top of his voice but he knew that no one would take him seriously. He felt a moment of sadness and fear but was also comforted knowing that Eli would be by his side every step of the way. True that some parts of his life were ending, but he would gain more and that was alright.

In the afternoon he walked around for miles, a lot of the time in circles just to get the exercise and to get some of the growing weaker sunlight on his skin. He wondered what exactly you were meant to do during the daytime that he couldn’t do at night. So Oscar purchased an entire bag's worth of sweets and chocolate, then decided that he was content enough and made his way back to the flat. There was of course something else on his mind. Perhaps the desire had been stimulated by his flitting with Amelia. Either way, he wondered if doing it ‘after’ he becomes a vampire would feel the same as it would ‘before.’ While he thought about it the entire journey back he tried his best to dismiss it. He just imagined that it would help him feel like a man. It was pointless and hopeless to think about it. How likely would it be that he could find someone who wanted to do “that” with him and besides he didn’t want his first time to be with someone he didn’t know. His mind turned back to the past and when he used to hear some of the older boys back in school bragging about that. They would travel into Stockholm and pay a woman for sex. Oscar did not want to do that – he was not one of those kinds of people.

He took his time to get back to the flat, having a final exploration of the area they lived. Making a point to look at and examine everything, paying attention to how things looked during the daylight. Eventually, he knew that he needed to get back – he was becoming sore and his recently restored energy was leaving him like the sun sinking below the horizon. As he reached their front door he automatically tapped out his name on the wood – just in case. He doubted there was any real need for it anymore – especially with Albin out of the picture. He doubted that Eli would be awake yet but he wanted to do it.

Oscar quietly entered carrying his new clothes in one bag and his mountain of sweets in the other. He took both bags into the bedroom, stripped naked, and climbed under covers. The bullet wound on his chest was starting to nip again – he had the idea that maybe he should glue it shut. He might try that but he suspected that because of the void space that the bullet had curved into him, that stitches or glue wouldn’t help. Oscar spent the next hour or so reading a few magazines that he had purchased from his local shop before Eli had killed the keeper. Despite still being full from his feast, he eats his sweets and reads his magazines. He would stay in bed or maybe get up and watch some television depending on how he felt later. Just as he was finishing off his second comic and fourth bar of chocolate he heard a voice.

“Hey. How do you feel?”

Eli had stealthily appeared in his doorway and looked pleased to see him.

“Hi!” replied Oscar equally as pleased that she was awake. He often felt lonely during the day when Eli slept and would always look forward to her getting up. That was another good point – after he turned they would both be on the same ‘sleep’ schedule.
“How was your day?” she asked noting that he had not answered her first question.
“Yeah good, it was...good. Got a new jacket and some other stuff.”
“I’m pleased” replied Eli looking around at all the sweets and chocolate bars surrounding Oscar.

They both laughed as she wiped her lips and Oscar realized that she was signaling for him to do the same. Around his mouth was caked with chocolate.

“Did you do everything you wanted to get done?”
“Yeah... err... yeah” he replied accidentally breaking eye contact and his voice breaking slightly.

Eli moved a step closer with her concern rising.
“What?”

Oscar took a breath.
“When it happens, when I become like you – will it hurt?”

Eli walked over to his bedside and crouched down on the floor.
“I can honestly say no it does not hurt. It just happens and it doesn’t change who you are in your head.”
“But... it makes me want to kill?”
“No, it makes you need to feed. You will understand soon.”

Oscar bit down on his own lip and held his arm out for Eli. She lifted off the covers and climbed in next to him and the pair put their arms around each other.
“We will be fine. Just you and me forever” she whispered into his ear with her warm breath.

For some reason what she said made Oscar think of Amelia back in the cafe. The thought of her and the fact that Eli was wrapped around him made his body react. He couldn’t help himself – it just happened and Eli quickly noticed.

“Oscar, are you?”
“Yeah, I’m sorry it’s just...”
“It’s alright. It's fine” she replied quickly to reassure him as she felt him try to pull away from her.

Oscar turned to look at her smiling face.
“Eli? Can we...” he didn’t know how to finish his sentence.

Naturally, he loved her but she was his best friend. Their relationship was not of this nature, they never really talked about this sort of stuff. Before Oscar could work out what to do or say next he felt Eli’s hands begin to explore his body. He allowed it to happen and smiled knowing that he was about to become a man with someone he loved. It was stupid to think that “this” would make him a man, but as it started and her head disappeared, he was relieved that his day was complete. If he woke up a vampire then he could live with that.

The next morning while it was still dark – Eli decided it was time to leave Oscar in his bed to sleep and retreat to her bathtub before the sun broke through the darkness. Surprisingly when she turned to check on Oscar, he was not there.

It took a moment for her to locate him in the room, he was stood perfectly still on the spot as if he was a stone statue. A statue that had been placed to look out at the world through the window – at the darkness.

“Oscar?” she whispered.
It took him a few moments to answer but there was no hurry.

“No.”
“No?” asked Eli.

Oscar rotated on the ball of his ankle to face his friend. He was smiling a very wide smile and Eli could see a fresh set of small white fangs just under his top lip.
“Not Oscar. Call me...Oz.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:57 pm

You take on some big themes in this chapter, and you handle them discreetly.

Return to “Fan Fiction”