Forty years ago today

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Re: Forty years ago today

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:20 pm

The conjuration is also very good. Both of these are inspiring.

Siggdalos

Saturday 31 October

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:12 pm

Siggdalos

Thursday 5 November

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:19 pm

This is the other of the two scenes that inspired the project. It was the first one I drew, long before the rest. A lot happens in this chapter, but I knew from the start that I specifically wanted to depict this scene since it's one of my favorite ones in the book.

Siggdalos

Saturday 7 November

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:58 pm

The first day with multiple chapters dedicated to it.

I've always thought that this (a lone Oskar snowracing in the forest at night) is one of the most cinematic scenes in the novel. Before I watched the movie, I used to wonder if the scene was included in the adaptation and what it would look like on-screen. I think that doing it proper justice would take more patience and skill than I have, though.

This last one of Zombie Håkan is probably the drawing I'm most satisfied with out of all of the ones in the thread. It actually turned out better than I envisioned it, which doesn't happen often.
In case someone's wondering "What's with the eels?":
LTROI, Thursday 29 October wrote:[Håkan's] naked, glistening muscles contracted and relaxed, contorting as if the head been replaced by a mass of freshly killed and butchered eels.
LTROI, Part Five intro wrote:Like the eel that dead and butchered jumps in the frying pan ... never before observed in human tissue ...
Also, JAL doesn't seem to be a fan of eels in general. In the zombie tale Kommunion, the first horror story he ever wrote, the main character thinks about his drowned girlfriend getting eaten by eels. One of the later scenes of Handling the Undead features a drowned reliving with a living eel stuck in his chest, eating its way out. I can't remember if there are any eels in Harbour or Tjärven, though.

Siggdalos

Sunday 8 November

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:19 pm

Another one of the drawings I'm happiest with out of these. I drew it on a whim and only later decided to apply it to this specific chapter.

I wasn't planning on featuring the man in the wig again, but this was the best I could come up with for this chapter. My planning for this hasn't been the best, so I decided on the subject and drew the thing only a couple of hours before making this post. That said, I of course couldn't resist including the best character in the novel (the squirrel), albeit in a modified form.

The symbol on the door is (a crudely drawn version of) the logo used by the Swedish postal service from 1965 to 1984 (it continued to look pretty much the same with a couple of minor changes until 2015).

Siggdalos

Monday 9 November

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Siggdalos

Tuesday 10 November

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:45 pm

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:45 pm

these are really great.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:52 am

absolutely! Been watching them arrive and it's ever a good jolt to see the next. bravo!

Siggdalos

Forty years ago today - the finale

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:57 am

The slightly belated finale. Some stuff came up that meant I couldn't complete or post the last three in time for their actual dates, so I'll post them all at once instead.

The last two turned out quite meh. I'm pretty good at animals and monsters, but I tend to struggle with faces and bodily proportions on subjects that are supposed to look like people.
Also, I was previously planning to try to depict the scene between Oskar and his mum for November 11 ("They sat a metre apart, an endless distance"), but for the aforementioned reason I chickened out, said "screw it", and did something really simplistic just so I could finally finish the project. Oh well.
On another note, this also marks the completion of the 20-word Morse code message I've been including under the image captions.

Return to “Fan Art”