Coming in From the Cold--The Eli Chronicles; Collaboration

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
PeteMork

Coming in From the Cold--The Eli Chronicles; Collaboration

Post by PeteMork » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 am

Daniel Ether and I have decided to collaborate on a project to illustrate “Coming in from the Cold,” “The Dawson Family,” and “The Eli Chronicles” with his wonderful drawings. They struck a chord with me from the very beginning -- perhaps because he captures so perfectly the essence of what I wanted Eli and Oskar to be like in my FF: Eli, fierce but always vulnerable, loyal, and sweet (at least to Oskar); and Oskar, always loving Eli and trusting her in spite of what he had been through and might have become without her.

I knew Daniel felt this way too, because he, like many of you, followed my FF from the very beginning and stuck with it through the good, the mediocre, and the bad as I strayed further and further from JAL’s original dark love story.

I also knew that the intensity of his vision of the children matched my own, partly because he sent me a beautiful gift in early June, soon after the completion of “The Eli Chronicles.”

The leather-bound book is 9-1/2 inches tall, 1035 pages long and came with a printed slip case. It is, without a doubt, one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received.

(The first part of the book title reflects the fact that I combined “Coming in from the Cold,” and “The Dawson Family” into one novel called :”Coming in from the Cold, Part One: Karlstad; and Part Two: London”)

§

Then, he began posting his cool pictures in the FA section – and I was hooked. His drawings of the pillow fight were spot-on, (including his explanation of the different looks on each of their faces) and Eli, even at her worst, was still adorable (at least to me).

To make a long story short (unless it’s too late :D ), we decided to start a thread whereby Daniel would illustrate my huge (1035 pages, remember :shock: ) Eli and Oskar odyssey, and we would document his progress here.

The basic idea is that Daniel will pick the parts of the storyline he wishes to illustrate, I’ll place the finished drawings in the appropriate chapters in the FF area, and post the picture here, with the title and link under spoilers, in case anyone wants to guess where the illustrations go.

Here’s the first two, which of course you’ve already seen in Daniel’s “Comic Eli” thread:

Eli and Oskar, Chapter 41, Eli Chronicles 8-)

More to come soon.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Last edited by PeteMork on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Opeth

Re: Coming in From the Cold--The Eli Chronicles; Collaborat

Post by Opeth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 am

Wow, my jaw dropped, really. I don't know what to say. This is so amazing! :D :wub:

EEA

Post by EEA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 am

:o :) :mrgreen:
Wow pretty nice! Awesome!
Nice collaboration! :wub: :D

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:33 am

So very thoughtful...amazing is right! I'm sure you will have lots of fun seeing how the illustrations unfold, and how they may subtly alter your perceptions of your own story! :D

Daniel Ether

Post by Daniel Ether » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Oh i'm so looking forward to all this! :)
I just want to say here thanks again Pete for this collaboration and setting up the thread!
i really hope you guys will like and enjoy this :)
And like Pete wrote:

More to come soon. ;)

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:46 am

:) How long had you planned on getting this extremely thoughtful gift put together for? You must have had the idea for a while, how long did it take for it to be ready to send off to Pete? If you don't mind me asking, this amazes me!

Daniel Ether

Post by Daniel Ether » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:04 am

One of the things that are so very impressiv for me, here in the forum are the fanfiction and the fanart section. Like i wrote in Intrige's "The forum that was and the one that is"-thread, it was unbelievable for me what i found here, especially with all the awesome fanart and fanfiction. But it were Pete's writings that brought me here in the first place. I got deeply lost in his fanfiction. It was while i was in the middle of "The Eli Chronicles" i began to give that a lot of thoughts. Pete put so much work and love in this stories, i thought maybe i could give something in return.
Thats how i came up with the idea of the book. It was done by a bookbinder-mastercraftsman in my hometown. I cant remember exactly but all together took a few weeks :)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Two you've seen before:

Poor Eli suffering painfull sadness, haunted by nightmares and horrible memories...

Oskar heals…no more sadness.
Chapter 3, Coming in from the Cold

And one you haven't:

Please help me!
Chapter 1, Coming in from the Cold
Last edited by PeteMork on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Wow, this is awesome.

I absolutely love the creativity of the people in this small but productive ... dare I say it ... family.

:wub:
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:So very thoughtful...amazing is right! I'm sure you will have lots of fun seeing how the illustrations unfold, and how they may subtly alter your perceptions of your own story! :D
You're right. Daniel's Eli with wings caused me change the text just a bit in chapter one. :think: The term "apocalyptic" has disappeared:

"The contrast between the child and her… wings was more than stunning – it was almost apocalyptic!"

has been replaced with the more appropriate:

"The contrast between the child and her… wings was stunning! "

Return to “Fan Art”