Creating a Fan Art Concept

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Sasutaschi

Creating a Fan Art Concept

Post by Sasutaschi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:10 pm

I have an exceptionally talented friend, who is going to draw a professional painting of "Let The Right One In" for me.
She asked me for a concept and this is my still very basic concept for her at the moment (btw. as you may have noticed I'm not very good at drawing):

Some details, the painting is supposed to be set shortly after the events of the movie.
Eli standing on a parking lot in front of a motel had just fed on someone. She did just fly back to the motel, where she and Oscar are staying at. Her expression is still full of disgust, but also to some degree animalistic, blood is still covering her face and she has wings instead of arms (because we don't have enough fanart of her with wings). Her wings will be based on @metoo's scetch.
Her eyes are elliptical and slightly glow in the dark, as shown in this gif.

The motel in the background is very cheap, the kind of place that must be held by someone who'd even rent rooms to children. The parking lot is very dark, because the street lights are broken, and the only light comes from the flickering Motel sign and the clouded moon. Oscar can be seen in the background sleeping in their room.
The atmosphere is blue and very cold, so cold in fact that the entire parking lot is covered in snow, nonetheless Eli is still barefoot.
There are still a few things I'm unsure about for example if the disfigured body can be seen in the distance, or if Eli has claws on her feet, or if she wears a hoodie similarly to the one Abby is wearing in "Let Me In".
That's basically the concept as of right, but I'm completely open to new ideas or some added details. Of course, this is just a very basic concept at the moment, but it will develop, until i can upload the finished product.
I have found my way.

a_contemplative_life

Re: Creating a Fan Art Concept

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:57 am

Sounds interesting and challenging. How do you imagine that the picture would be framed?

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:53 am

Given your fondness for Abby's hooded look, I wonder if you could do a composite image that takes attributes from all three versions of the story and weaves them together. Eli could have his wings from the novel (shown via metoo's sketch), Lena's appearance, and Abby's attire. Oskar could have his film appearance but perhaps Owen's shorter hair - or it's long as in the film, but dyed black for the sake of being incognito (and maybe because he likes matching Eli). Or his sweater he wears in LMI's take on the bloody kiss.

Whatever the case the results ought to be quite interesting. Are you paying your friend a commission for this piece or are they doing it pro bono?
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am

Very interesting!! I can't wait to see the end result! :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Sasutaschi

Post by Sasutaschi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:08 pm

SpartanAltego I really love that look, the first time we see the hooded Abby knocking on Owen's door, in my opinion not only perfectly captures both sides of Eli, the human and the demon, but is also so beautifully filmed.
Furthermore, it was at this point in the movie, when I first felt that Let Me In was something else, something special.
Also incorporating elements from both films and the novel, is such an amazing idea.
Tiny little details, like both of them dressing more like their Let Me In counterparts, is not just a great Easter Egg, but also connects the three universes.
Another little Easter Egg I think to include is putting LTROI 1982 and LTMI 1983 on two different parked cars license plates.
As for Oscar I can definitely picture the little crime-story fan dying his hair to become anonymous and to resemble Eli.
Also, the reason he is still going to be human in the picture, is because I believe Eli would hesitate to turn him until absolutely necessary, to protect him from all the misery and guilt.
I'm indeed paying her, she wanted to do it for free at first, but I told her that the painting would be very time consuming and complex and I thought that she deserved money for it.
I don't know when it will be finished, as she is very busy right now, I'm going to show her the concepts we're developing next Monday where we will discuss the future of the project.
a_contemplative_life Most definitely. And I will also share the clean picture with you guys, as she is most likely going to draw it on a digital tablet.
I have found my way.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

I rather prefer to be inspired by the story itself.
My "advice" would be to tell your friend to read the book for inspiration.
Or read it yourself and pick an iconic scene, or your favourite one. I mean, I dont find the point to do a work like that from an inexistent scene. I like it as fan art maybe, but still prefer something from the original story.
Something like a poster or a cover art of a book.

Though if your are a big fan of the movie, then a movie scene.

It depends on your friend style and talent, but something like these classic gothic tales covers:
https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=horr ... 20&bih=943
https://ar.pinterest.com/analuisadeleon ... ck-covers/

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 am

Whoa, Pissball, what a huge collection of book covers!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am

dongregg wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 am
Whoa, Pissball, what a huge collection of book covers!
Seriously! :D

Sasutaschi

Post by Sasutaschi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Pissball wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am
I rather prefer to be inspired by the story itself.
My "advice" would be to tell your friend to read the book for inspiration.
Or read it yourself and pick an iconic scene, or your favourite one. I mean, I dont find the point to do a work like that from an inexistent scene. I like it as fan art maybe, but still prefer something from the original story.
Something like a poster or a cover art of a book.

Though if your are a big fan of the movie, then a movie scene.

It depends on your friend style and talent, but something like these classic gothic tales covers:
https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=horr ... 20&bih=943
https://ar.pinterest.com/analuisadeleon ... ck-covers/
Some of those artworks look really good and are giving me some ideas.
However, the reason I wanted to us a non-existing scene, for the artwork is because I want create (or at least co-create) something new, for the fans to enjoy. Giving them a hint on what MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED after the original ending. And to be give all fans of both movies and the novel, some love.

I will of course read the novel (once I finally get it) for further inspiration and will advise her to so as well.
Keep in mind the project is still in an almost early stage and will probably still take a few months before being completed, which could change the concept quite a lot.
I have found my way.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 am

Sounds like we're in for lots of fun.I like the idea of combining the movies and novel.Share the love. :wub: :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Fan Art”