Nice Drawing From Deviant Art

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
hillerr

Re: Nice Drawing From Deviant Art

Post by hillerr » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 pm

I like the way you capture the facial expressions Spiralladder. To a non-expert like myself they're the best aspect of your LTROI art. I'm indifferent on the winged Eli but her expression in what you're presently working on is very descriptive of the angst she feels as she fears losing the one person in her world who knows her secret and cares deeply for her despite that very dark secret.

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 pm

that looks like the start of a great picture Spiralladder. you've captured Eli in all her vampire glory.
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

Spiralladder

Post by Spiralladder » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 am

If you do choose to draw inspiration from this that would be awesome covenant, I'll have to read that fiction. Just because of that I got to really wondering how it would look to fly with those wings and I realized how silly it would look. Basically with the shape they have Eli would have to do the funky chicken dance to do any considerable flapping... Not cool. :)
So i just pretend they can retract and extend, like this:

Stuff like this is just so fun to do. They are still membranous wings, only supported by sprouts of bone.

hillerr wrote:I like the way you capture the facial expressions Spiralladder. To a non-expert like myself they're the best aspect of your LTROI art. I'm indifferent on the winged Eli but her expression in what you're presently working on is very descriptive of the angst she feels as she fears losing the one person in her world who knows her secret and cares deeply for her despite that very dark secret.
It means a lot to me that you say that hillerr, that is what I try to accomplish because the faces are very important to me. I always spend loads of time on them, trying to get them right.

HonzaP wrote:woooow spooky :twisted: how it could feel to be embraced by those nice "little" claws, I would do anything for them, my Eli :)
Your strange, but that's alright. :P

Thanks

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 am

http://www.sleepingdragon.me/wingedEliferalOskar.jpg

This is the drawing with wings I referred to. I have them growing out of Eli's back but I'm not sure I like them or will draw them this way in the future. The only good thing is that it leaves their hands free to slap at each other when they playfight in flight. :)
Oh yes, welcome to the board!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

GizWeasel

Post by GizWeasel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Spiralladder wrote:My take on Eli in kick-ass mode moments before dragging up Oskar from the water.
I'm glad to see that someone is working on a drawing of Eli at the pool.

SInce I am no artist, I thought maybe one of you talented individuals might like to try sketching an idea that I have. However, I see it as a lenticular, or morphing, or animated, or 2-part, or picture hidden in a picture, maybe tough to describe.

Eli appears as an angel over the pool. Maybe in silhouette as to have a 'glow', angel wings, arms reaching out to comfort you, rescue you....
but looking closer, (lighting change, perspective change) it is Eli with vampire wings, teeth, claws, and arms reaching out to rip your head off!
Smitten or bitten

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Spiralladder wrote:If you do choose to draw inspiration from this that would be awesome covenant, I'll have to read that fiction. Just because of that I got to really wondering how it would look to fly with those wings and I realized how silly it would look. Basically with the shape they have Eli would have to do the funky chicken dance to do any considerable flapping... Not cool. :)
So i just pretend they can retract and extend, like this:

=============

Stuff like this is just so fun to do. They are still membranous wings, only supported by sprouts of bone.
Well, you've certainly inspired me! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. The expression on her face is in stark contrast to the sinister appearance of her wings. I love the way you have positioned her hand. Beautifully done!

Here's my attempt to describe what you've drawn so perfectly.
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... the-outing
The description is at the end of the chapter.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm

If this were the Eli from the film, shouldn't he be standing astride or sitting on the headless body of Jimmy?

For some strange reason, I'd really like to see that. :twisted:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Wolfchild wrote:If this were the Eli from the film, shouldn't he be standing astride or sitting on the headless body of Jimmy?

For some strange reason, I'd really like to see that. :twisted:
Me too!

Something else just occurred to me. If Eli’s wings are attached to her arms (as above and as JAL describes them) the only way I can think of that she could have flown over the pool with Martin’s legs kicking in the water would be if she were holding him by the neck with her fangs! Eerie thought! I challenge anyone here to draw THAT picture!!
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:54 pm

For some reason I never cared for the idea of wings. In the film, Eli seemed to fly just fine without them (e.g., between Oskar's apartment and hers, while wearing Oskar's mom's dress).

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:For some reason I never cared for the idea of wings. In the film, Eli seemed to fly just fine without them (e.g., between Oskar's apartment and hers, while wearing Oskar's mom's dress).
Perhaps she did it the same way she scaled the wall of the hospital, rather than by flying. The brick wall and drain pipe offered some good claw-holds. :)

Return to “Fan Art”