Nice Drawing From Deviant Art

A forum for discussing fan art related to Let The Right One In
Spiralladder

Re: Nice Drawing From Deviant Art

Post by Spiralladder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 am

covenant6452 wrote:http://www.sleepingdragon.me/wingedEliferalOskar.jpg

This is the drawing with wings I referred to. I have them growing out of Eli's back but I'm not sure I like them or will draw them this way in the future. The only good thing is that it leaves their hands free to slap at each other when they playfight in flight. :)
Oh yes, welcome to the board!
Playfighting might be a bit complicated anyway though as those wings looks positively lethal by themselves! Them coupled with the notion that Eli has a parasite brings my mind wandering to Starcraft Mutalisks. :p (Oh yeah, btw that picture took a full 10 minutes to load at least. That's what you get for getting relatively cheap connection at the ass-end of the world)
GizWeasel wrote: I'm glad to see that someone is working on a drawing of Eli at the pool.

SInce I am no artist, I thought maybe one of you talented individuals might like to try sketching an idea that I have. However, I see it as a lenticular, or morphing, or animated, or 2-part, or picture hidden in a picture, maybe tough to describe.

Eli appears as an angel over the pool. Maybe in silhouette as to have a 'glow', angel wings, arms reaching out to comfort you, rescue you....
but looking closer, (lighting change, perspective change) it is Eli with vampire wings, teeth, claws, and arms reaching out to rip your head off!

Maybe the main view angle looking up at Eli could be the "angelic" looking one. While the more sinister truth is reflected by a windowpane or water perhaps..? Not sure how you would do something like what you describe.

PeteMork wrote:
Well, you've certainly inspired me! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. The expression on her face is in stark contrast to the sinister appearance of her wings. I love the way you have positioned her hand. Beautifully done!

Here's my attempt to describe what you've drawn so perfectly.
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... the-outing
The description is at the end of the chapter.
Thanks, I pretty much held my hand in front of my face and drew it.

At first my head exploded seeing how much you already wrote, then I checked the post date. You're saying that you edited your story? If so, cool. :) I'm at chapter 3 now and I like it so far, well done!

About wings vs no wings; I've considered it, but to me it just seemed way too magical. JAL has tried to provide pseudoscience to partly justify something like a vampire creature and I wouldn't want to destroy that. The rule about having to be let in already kind of bends that I think. If she can mold her hands and feet to murder tools then wings seems OK to me, as opposed to possessing anti-gravity glands.

Now if Eli would be considered a magical creature I would be ok with it. There's both some nice images popping up in my head imagining Eli flying either way.

Then you could say that who cares how Eli flies, she just do and that's not really an important part of the story, as its about isolation, friendship, love, morality etc. But hey, that's the way I am.

Objectivity aside, I'm biased to wings. :p

About the claws, well, I thought she would carry people with her feet/talons. I did base them loosely on bat feet though, not sure if bats use them for anything other than hanging around.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:01 am

PeteMork wrote:
a_contemplative_life wrote:Sorry, Pete, but I think Mr. Sample's correct as far as the film goes. I'll grant that in the book, Eli definitely has wings whenever she flies. But in the film, they did away with them. The windy sound as she leaves Oskar's apt. in the dress implies flight. And she did fly from the hospital to Oskar's place with her sweater and crazy pants, with precisely the same sound.
Yeah, I agree. In the film Eli flies with her clothes on. I'm not sure why, because in one of the commentaries, TA says that when Eli flies away from Hakans window at the hospital, he deliberately included the sound of wings flapping. It does seem to be an inconsistency. Perhaps the censors didn't like the idea of a nude child flying so TA had her undress in Oskar's room instead. Or perhaps it was a special effects limitation.
And, just to be difficult, if Eli could climb 6 stories up the smooth side of a hospital, I doubt that 10 ft of brick wall would be at all difficult for her to handle. Tallons and Claws make good grips. :twisted:
Ok now I'll offer my own concession. I am secretly pleased that they did away with the wings. I don't like thinking of Eli looking so inhuman. That's just my personal bias, I guess.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 am

a_contemplative_life wrote: Ok now I'll offer my own concession. I am secretly pleased that they did away with the wings. I don't like thinking of Eli looking so inhuman. That's just my personal bias, I guess.
Yea... seeing Eli's game face would kind bite, wouldn't it?

I'll just hide now...
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

GizWeasel

Post by GizWeasel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Eli shouldn't have to be nude to fly, if the wings do not go below the waist. On the roof of the hospital the novel only mentions a child with a bare chest, but maybe the rest of the body was not visible. Eli could actually be wearing the psycho pants while flying.

now THERE"S a picture for ya............. flying psycho pants
Smitten or bitten

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:49 am

Spiralladder wrote:
PeteMork wrote:
Well, you've certainly inspired me! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. The expression on her face is in stark contrast to the sinister appearance of her wings. I love the way you have positioned her hand. Beautifully done!

Here's my attempt to describe what you've drawn so perfectly.
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... the-outing
The description is at the end of the chapter.
Thanks, I pretty much held my hand in front of my face and drew it.

At first my head exploded seeing how much you already wrote, then I checked the post date. You're saying that you edited your story? If so, cool. :) I'm at chapter 3 now and I like it so far, well done!

About wings vs no wings; I've considered it, but to me it just seemed way too magical. JAL has tried to provide pseudoscience to partly justify something like a vampire creature and I wouldn't want to destroy that. The rule about having to be let in already kind of bends that I think. If she can mold her hands and feet to murder tools then wings seems OK to me, as opposed to possessing anti-gravity glands.

Now if Eli would be considered a magical creature I would be ok with it. There's both some nice images popping up in my head imagining Eli flying either way.

Then you could say that who cares how Eli flies, she just do and that's not really an important part of the story, as its about isolation, friendship, love, morality etc. But hey, that's the way I am.

Objectivity aside, I'm biased to wings. :p

About the claws, well, I thought she would carry people with her feet/talons. I did base them loosely on bat feet though, not sure if bats use them for anything other than hanging around.
Sorry If I gave you the impression that I had edited that chapter. On rereading my post, it certainly looks that way. The thing that inspired me is that your drawing accidently fit my description so well. Believe me, a future chapter will definitely take advantage of your drawing. I plan on printing it out and having it available while I am writing it. :twisted: Anything you post here with the same theme will also be shamelessly used, so be forewarned. :lol:

I agree with you about a preference for wings. Besides the science, I think they serve as a perfect contrast between her innocent and her dark side, just as your drawing appears to do.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Spiralladder wrote:GizWeasel wrote:
I'm glad to see that someone is working on a drawing of Eli at the pool.

SInce I am no artist, I thought maybe one of you talented individuals might like to try sketching an idea that I have. However, I see it as a lenticular, or morphing, or animated, or 2-part, or picture hidden in a picture, maybe tough to describe.

Eli appears as an angel over the pool. Maybe in silhouette as to have a 'glow', angel wings, arms reaching out to comfort you, rescue you....
but looking closer, (lighting change, perspective change) it is Eli with vampire wings, teeth, claws, and arms reaching out to rip your head off!
I thought about this one, and this is as close as I can get to your idea, so far. :D

Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

HonzaP

Post by HonzaP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:02 pm

COVIEEEE !!! I knew you would be the one to do it!!!! 8-) :) :) :) you are the best for the job :o
Phillip J. Fry: "I hate my life, I hate my life, I hate my life."

"It is the nature of men to create monsters, and it is the nature of monsters to destroy their makers."

Spiralladder

Post by Spiralladder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 am

PeteMork wrote: Sorry If I gave you the impression that I had edited that chapter. On rereading my post, it certainly looks that way. The thing that inspired me is that your drawing accidently fit my description so well. Believe me, a future chapter will definitely take advantage of your drawing. I plan on printing it out and having it available while I am writing it. :twisted: Anything you post here with the same theme will also be shamelessly used, so be forewarned. :lol:

I agree with you about a preference for wings. Besides the science, I think they serve as a perfect contrast between her innocent and her dark side, just as your drawing appears to do.
That's perfectly fine. :)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Spiralladder wrote:
PeteMork wrote: Sorry If I gave you the impression that I had edited that chapter. On rereading my post, it certainly looks that way. The thing that inspired me is that your drawing accidently fit my description so well. Believe me, a future chapter will definitely take advantage of your drawing. I plan on printing it out and having it available while I am writing it. :twisted: Anything you post here with the same theme will also be shamelessly used, so be forewarned. :lol:

That's perfectly fine. :)
My latest chapter takes full advantage of your drawings: http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... -eli-flies

Your progressive sketches in the W.I.P section were very interesting to me. What software do you use for your final coloring on your drawing of Oskar and Eli on the couch? Xara and Adobe Illustrator are capable of some of these effects, but yours look more realistic.

Challenge: What would Eli at the pool look like with black wings? :twisted:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

hillerr

Post by hillerr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 am

covenant6452 wrote:I really like how this looks so far. I wasn't keen on the JAL's gauzy membranes for wings idea, mostly because it would be boring to draw. Now that I've turned Oskar in my fan-fiction I'm eager to do a drawing of both of them flying, not sure which look to use in the drawings that go with my fanfic though as once I use it, I'll have to stick to it.
Your cool drawing may help me make my decision though! :)
That would be a cool drawing covenant. Kind of romantic in a vampire way, I might add.

Return to “Fan Art”