For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
danielmann861

Re: First Image from the Handling the Undead film

Post by danielmann861 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri May 05, 2023 1:05 pm

https://www.johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=221
Anders Danielsen Lie as David in Handling the Undead, which is expected to release at the end of this year.

Photograph credit: Ihne Pedersen.

So they're including David after all. Have to say I'm a bit surprised by that. [EDIT: Nevermind, the Variety article from the start of the thread does mention that the movie will focus on three families just like the book, including one where the wife/mother dies. My memory is bad.]

On another note, in the above he looks suspiciously similar to what JAL once looked like during his bygone comedy days (the hair especially). Nice touch if intentional, considering that David as he's depicted in the book is a pretty thinly disguised self-insert of JAL.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:24 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:05 pm

So they're including David after all. Have to say I'm a bit surprised by that. [EDIT: Nevermind, the Variety article from the start of the thread does mention that the movie will focus on three families just like the book, including one where the wife/mother dies. My memory is bad.]

On another note, in the above he looks suspiciously similar to what JAL once looked like during his bygone comedy days (the hair especially). Nice touch if intentional, considering that David as he's depicted in the book is a pretty thinly disguised self-insert of JAL.
Follows three families, each having a tragic loss. Mahler and his daughter Anna mourn the too early passing of his grandson. Tora says her final goodbye to her wife and a family of four faces a life without a wife and mother.

From IMDB. I mean that sounds Eva, David and Magnus to me only they maybe added another kid to the mix? I saw that photo when it first released and instantly thought of this.
I'm really keen to see how they handle David and Eva in the film. Especially now it seems they've added another child to the mix. I still really hope Flora didn't get cut from this though...as it is a central theme that runs throughout the whole book (parent and child...or grandparent and child and the connection between)

I just got done re-reading the book actually. I kind of wanted to revisit it as I keep eagerly awaiting any footage from the film to drop. I still think it's a bit of a hit and miss of a book at times. The central idea of learning to let go is still quite moving and there are some parts of the book that are still very effective. I really love the way he depicts them as decaying bodies almost being puppeteered. I remember watching The Returned a few years back and thinking it kind of sucked how the dead didn't look dead in that show. I always loved that about Handling the Undead, it wasn't shy in presenting them as decayed empty shells and the horror comes from humanity dealing with it. So I really can't wait to see just how far they go with the make up effects here in terms of the zombies themselves.

And of course, the story between Mahler, Anna and Elias is still really quite heartbreaking to me and is the story I'm most looking forward to seeing on screen. That said, I still have issues with the novel. I have mixed feelings on the ending. On the one hand, I get what it was going for with the characters learning to let go, but the ending with Flora and her grandmother always just seemed to fizzle out and go nowhere. Granted, I've read The Final Handling...I was initially curious as to whether they would implement that but given that they've seemingly changed those two characters, I guess we'll wait and see what they do with it in general.

I am most keen to see The Heath on film. I'm just keen to see how it plays out as a film as a whole tbh. Still waiting patiently for that trailer to drop.

Return to “Handling The Undead”