First post-premiere thoughts

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Hanteringen av odöda
Siggdalos

First post-premiere thoughts

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 pm

Thea Hvistendahl's Handling the Undead had its European premiere today (January 26) at the Gothenburg Film Festival, and I splurged on a digital ticket so I wouldn't have to wait to watch it. I still need to digest the experience and gather my thoughts some more, but wanted to put down some first impressions before going to bed.

It's great - but not what I expected. It's visually impeccable, as are the performances, and I don't think one could've asked for anything better than the job Hvistendahl has done in capturing the mood of the story. Don't expect it to be like the book, though. The characters and almost all of the scenes are familiar, but don't expect any of the grander scale or top-down perspectives of the novel - while a couple glimpses are shown of how Oslo at large reacts to the unexplainable, the film's perspective remains firmly leashed to the three main families throughout. Not sure how much I want to spoil, but, for example, the Fisher does not appear and the only supernatural element that's included is the initial awakening itself, which is left unexplained. Which is not a bad thing! The focus is on being a deliberately told, slow and small-scale story that puts the sorrow and understated horror of each of the characters' situations on the full display they deserve as the characters struggle to deal with loss and accept that their loved ones have irrevocably changed.

I think that, personally, my enjoyment was hampered a bit because I unintentionally (and unfairly) kept expecting it to escalate and race off in directions more similar to the novel, when in the end it goes in its own slightly different direction, so when the credits came up I got a bit of a "That's it?" feeling. This was not the movie's fault. If you go into it without any preconceived notions, I don't doubt that it'll succeed at being a haunting and emotionally gut-punching experience. To those who've been waiting for an adaptation of HTU for years, I would say that it was worth the wait.

Last edited by Siggdalos on Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Siggdalos

Re: First post-premiere thoughts

Post by Siggdalos » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 am

De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

InfectedFox

Post by InfectedFox » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 pm

Should I wait to see it until after I've finished the book? I'm on Harbor right now because my library didn't have Handling the Undead.

Hope that it gets brought over to the States for either streaming or theatrical release soon.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:38 am

Not sure. I imagine one might get more out of the movie if one goes in fresh, for the reasons mentioned in the OP. Dunno how long it'll take before it's available in the US, though (it won't release in Swedish theaters until March 15).

If you do read the book, make sure to also read the sequel short story The Final Processing included in Paper Walls/Let the Old Dreams Die (whatever the collection is titled in English nowadays). If you ask me, the main issue with the novel is the lack of an ending, which The Final Processing does a good job of fixing.

Enjoy Harbour in the meantime, it's one of JAL's better ones IMO. :)

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:38 pm

I was thinking that I should re-acquaint myself with the novel, but after your review I guess it is best if I come to the film with no expectations. I wonder how long it will take before I can stream it in the US? :think:

And streaming with a dub but no subtitles does not count.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm

InfectedFox wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 pm
Should I wait to see it until after I've finished the book? I'm on Harbor right now because my library didn't have Handling the Undead.

Hope that it gets brought over to the States for either streaming or theatrical release soon.
I look forward to anything you have to say about Harbor!

Meanwhile I too need to go back Handling - which I have somewhere here - in prep for (maybe) being able to stream at some (distant?) point.

InfectedFox

Post by InfectedFox » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:58 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm
InfectedFox wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:17 pm

I look forward to anything you have to say about Harbor!

Meanwhile I too need to go back Handling - which I have somewhere here - in prep for (maybe) being able to stream at some (distant?) point.
Finished it about four or five days ago (took my time reading it), now I'm waiting for Handling in to come in the mail.

I'll make sure to post my thoughts in the Harbor section!

intrige

Post by intrige » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:58 pm

I will watch it in cinema, I will tell y'all what I think bout it after :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Return to “Handling The Undead”