H. P. Lovecraft

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Människohamn
gattoparde59

H. P. Lovecraft

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 am

Currently reading through the stories of H.P. Lovecraft and it strikes me that this is the most Lovecraftian of the four novels, what with all the mysterious goings on in the Island community and one character in particular. Saying that, Lovecraft and Lindqvist are two very different writers with Lindqvist being the greater talent in several respects.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Nightrider

Re: H. P. Lovecraft

Post by Nightrider » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:56 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:Currently reading through the stories of H.P. Lovecraft and it strikes me that this is the most Lovecraftian of the four novels, what with all the mysterious goings on in the Island community and one character in particular. Saying that, Lovecraft and Lindqvist are two very different writers with Lindqvist being the greater talent in several respects.
Couldn't agree more.
The climax of the novel was the most Lovecraftian of all... to the point that for a brief moment I was expecting a guest appearance form Cthulhu.

Plus, let's not forget the conclusion of "Village on the Hill" from "Let The Old Dreams Die"....
Tentacled monsters always make me think of HPL and the Old Ones... 8-)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

joddal

Post by joddal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Agree. I love Lovecrafts stories, and something Lovecraftian hit me while reading Harbours (my personal favourite among Lindqvists novels) ending. And ... Among those two writers, Lindqvist is my favourite too :)
Guns don't kill zombies. People kill zombies (with guns).

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Joddal, nice of you to post here. :)

As long as we are about it, I noticed this passage towards the end when Anders is climbing down the ancient steps. Very Lovecraft.
These steps had not been built for human beings, or even by human beings, in all likelihood. Who could possibly have carried out this work in prehistoric times under water?

He moved down another step. It was perhaps slightly less deep than the first one.

Who?

Someone or something beyond the scope of his imagination. Once upon a time, long long ago, it had used this route to make its way up and down, but then stopped because it had grown too old or too weak. Or too big. Now only the route remained.
Saying that, the emotional aspects of the story, that we become so emotionally involved with Anders and the other characters, is very Lindqvist. This emotional aspect is something Lovecraft could never really pull off, at least not very well.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

joddal

Post by joddal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:06 pm

Thank you very much! :) Have been reading a lot on this forum for a while, but at last, I'm at last actually a part of it ;)
gattoparde59 wrote:
Saying that, the emotional aspects of the story, that we become so emotionally involved with Anders and the other characters, is very Lindqvist. This emotional aspect is something Lovecraft could never really pull off, at least not very well.
Mhm, you're right. Emotional aspects isn't the strongest thing in Lovecrafts work. At this point JAL is far better, in my opinion; and that's why he is one of my all time favourite authors. The way he put emotions, realistic feelings and those dark, scary things into one great composition.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Yes welcome to the forum!
What is the meaning behind your avatar? :D Looks pretty interesting
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

joddal

Post by joddal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

Thank you very much! :) My avatar is from a illustration about genes; different genes, life and Death, among others. Bad explanation, but the article I made it for were pretty complex.

I'll try find something else later I think, maybe som fan art stuff, this one's here until then, just to be kind of 'visible' ;)
Last edited by joddal on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

I would LOVE to see some fanart from you, dude.. Just.. Do it now :D Now..
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

joddal

Post by joddal » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Great! Will search my stuff for something, as soon as I am home from this short vacation :)

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Currently reading "The Shadow over Innsmouth," a good story to read if you are looking for Lovecraft influences in Harbour.

Nisa

Return to “Harbour”