Translation question about Bröderna Djup

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Lilla Stjärna
Siggdalos

Translation question about Bröderna Djup

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

I have not read any translated version of JAL's works, only the Swedish originals, but I'm curious about what Bröderna Djup—the criminal organization from Norrtälje that Jerry gets into trouble with in part 23 of the first chapter—are called in the English translation of Little Star. They also appear in The Kindness and I'm putting together a summary of a Q&A John recently hosted where he mentioned them as well, so it'd be helpful to know what I should call them so that English-speaking fans know what the heck I'm referring to.

"Bröderna Djup" means "the Brothers Deep" or "the Deep Brothers" if you translate it literally, but it's specifically a reference to the Swedish comedy band Bröderna Djup (who are also mentioned in LTROI), and the criminals play a song from this band while they're torturing Jerry. In The Kindness, "Djup" is also used as the actual last name of the gang's leaders. In other words, "the Deep Brothers" (literal translation), "the Djup Brothers" (treating it as a family name), and "Bröderna Djup" (keeping it untranslated to keep the reference to the band) would all be logical translations, and I have no idea which one Marlaine Delargy went with or if she went with another solution.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Re: Translation question about Bröderna Djup

Post by metoo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:11 am

Some references for non-Swedes:

Bröderna Djup were actually brothers (three of them were), and their surname was Djup.
Although dressed like farmers, they had other professions.

Below is their most famous song, eight weeks on top list Svensktoppen.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any actual videos showing them in action.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Just checked, they’re still referred to as Bröderna Djup.
No banaaaanas?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:17 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:49 pm
Just checked, they’re still referred to as Bröderna Djup.
Alright, thanks. :wub:
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Little Star”