Songs that make you think of LTROI

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Mishrashade48

Re: Songs that make you think of LTROI

Post by Mishrashade48 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 am

dongregg wrote:
Mishrashade48 wrote:Okay, this is the cheesiest I'll go https://youtu.be/9-WCucYnED0

I'm usually not one for this music, but it did hit me in that Eli and Oskar sweet spot.
Yeah, that was okay. It partly made me think of Eli trying to get Oskar to stay in her apartment.

Wow, I just thought of something. Cyndi Lauper's "Time after Time" planted the seeds that kept bugging the devil out of me about what would happen if Oskar and Eli got separated. That's what led to "One-off Vignette," just to get it out of my system. Then I hated it even more, so the only way I could deal with them being separated was to follow up with them getting back together pretty quick. Sigh. I'm such a sucker for sad, lonely little Eli. Oskar just has no idea of the almost infinite depth of Eli's 200-plus years of loneliness.

"Time after Time" almost suckered me into trying to write a story in which the kids get separated in different times. Gasp. But it got to be too tech-y before I ever wrote a word. Too much up in my head and too much stress.

There are some good fan fics with formidable adversaries. I'd like to write one like that. A foe so sinister and powerful that, even together, they would have little chance. I would model it on episodes 26, 27, and 28 of Samurai Champloo.

More about time. It occurs to me that I could get inspiration from Rivka Galchen's "Region of Unlikeness." Hmm.
Now "Time after Time" leaves a dark impression on me. Thanks a lot Dongregg :lol: . That would seriously be an interesting story where they get separated in different times. I know what you mean you say it would get too tech-y though. I wanted to do a story with someone actually having the technology to fix Eli. Well, maybe not fix, but at least a device that she could attach to herself so she could watch a sunrise with Oskar. Those ideas are still fun to think about.

You definitely should expand on one of those stories where Oskar and Eli are confronted by an enemy that breaks them down in the worst way possible. That would be very exciting to read. Keep that idea floating and hopefully at some point you'll be able to write it.
All of life's journeys come with meetings, partings, and reunions.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:23 am

You definitely should expand on one of those stories where Oskar and Eli are confronted by an enemy that breaks them down in the worst way possible.
Yeh bit, in my stories (written or not), you can be sure that the kids will prevail in the end. It could be pretty harrowing to get to the end, though. I feel like I habitually don't do justice to the supernatural aspects of LTROI. They can grow wings, teeth, and claws. Climb straight up the face of a cliff or hospital. Strong as a moose and able to move so quickly normal people would have no chance against them. Think of an adversary who has all of that but is older and more powerful. And quicker. And thinks like an adult. And who likes to play games with other vampires before he or she kills them. Only through overconfidence could such an adversary give the kids an opening, I would think. Unless one of them knows a trick. You know, JAL performed magic at one time. Magic is misdirection, so...

But if I listen closely, I hear my muse's gentle purr as she slumbers. I could use some of that, too, so I'm pretty sure I've written myself out for a while. In a few days I'll submit the second half of "Set Me as a Seal." Then I will fall silent.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Mishrashade48

Post by Mishrashade48 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:20 am

dongregg wrote:
But if I listen closely, I hear my muse's gentle purr as she slumbers. I could use some of that, too, so I'm pretty sure I've written myself out for a while. In a few days I'll submit the second half of "Set Me as a Seal." Then I will fall silent.
Well, I still can't wait to read the second half of "Set Me as a Seal." Hey, at least she is purring and is always still there waiting until the time is right to whisper in your ear again. Mine just keeps poking me and asking why I haven't submitted my story yet. I think I'll put her to sleep with a lullaby http://youtu.be/WjTr9eWCwas

Mishrashade48

Post by Mishrashade48 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:18 am

http://youtu.be/Ivbcd2u5_ek

I think it has that Oskar and Eli vibe. ;)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 am

Sounds right.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Mishrashade48

Post by Mishrashade48 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:43 am

dongregg wrote:Sounds right.
Maybe it was just too easy...oh well.

Mikallein

Post by Mikallein » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Mishrashade48 wrote:
dongregg wrote:Sounds right.
Maybe it was just too easy...oh well.

Why would you think that Shade? I don't think a song can remind you too much of LTROI. :lol:

I took a listen and I think you were right it totally has a strong LTROI feel and I enjoyed it.

Here is my first addition to this thread. Fair warning, this song is from the trailer from kingdom Hearts 2 and contains some tripy JRPG visuals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcdFbXGSYU

I find the metaphor of Oskar and Eli being each others sanctuary quite fitting and while I suppose the lyrics could technically be from either of them I tend to see this as if from Eli's perspective. The lyrics that are in reverse especially remind me of Eli.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Trippy is good.

Mishrashade48

Post by Mishrashade48 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Mikallein wrote:
Why would you think that Shade? I don't think a song can remind you too much of LTROI. :lol:

I took a listen and I think you were right it totally has a strong LTROI feel and I enjoyed it.
Alright Mikallein, you're right http://youtu.be/POvtMlOwoHM

I also liked the kingdom hearts video. It's been a long time since I I last saw it. It was quite refreshing to look at it from a new perspective. Thanks.

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:04 pm

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”