How did you discover LTROI?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
djrees56

How did you discover LTROI?

Post by djrees56 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:43 am

My apologies if this has already been touched on. I skimmed through the LTROI posts and didn't see a similar topic.

One night last year, I was in the mood for a good vampire/horror movie.The Twilight movie was in full rage but it didn't interest me.I always liked the classic vampire/horror movies,especially the Vincent Price ones were there's 200 plot twists and oodles of make-up effects.I googled "The best vampire movie" and LTROI was at the top of the result list.
I watched the trailer and was already hooked.I went down to a movie rental place(a well known franchise)and had to harness one of the clerks to help me find it.It was in the foreign movie section(go figure).
The film definitely hit home because I purchased one of Eli's film costumes and its displayed on a European mannequin in my living room.I'm a guy,OK.It takes some explaining when I have visitors but I'm fine with it. :D

mackousko

Re: How did you discover LTROI?

Post by mackousko » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 am

No special story in my case. Just a coincidence. I was not prepared for what is comming. So i´ve been hit by full power . Still recovering. :oops:

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 am

I read a review and the plot sounded interesting.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 pm

I heard about it years before I learn to know it. It was a vampire story,and nothing for me, I thought. Then the film came, and all the people of any credibility started to praise it. OK OK i will watch it, I thought, and half a year later I did. And found I had been tricked for years - It wasn't a vampire story!
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:26 pm

When LTROI came out in cinemas in 2008 I was living in my own little world of lonelyness and bullying. I have thought back on it and know that if I just had taken a look around myself when it hit the cinemas I would possibly have a better year just by the infection. I was always a little more muture than my classmates, and I am sure I would have understood it just as well as I did when I actually saw it. The truth is, I never saw it in 2008, rather in 2010. 3 years of hell was over, and I promised myself I would never visit that hell of a school ever again. It was summerbreak, I wasn't much sosial since I hadn't many people to hang out with. I used my sparetime working on my night owl talent. I made movies and drawings and a few stories.

Then, in July, two weeks before I would go to Luleå in Sweden with my family, I was awake all night. Was really bored. I searced on youtube for a sims vampire series that is really good and is still going. And somehow with the word vampire, I found the trailer for LTROI. I had seen Twilight and wasn't really in to it. I have always been a hopeless romantic, and I rented horror books when I was a kid, so I figured it would be yet another vampire love story. But it looked.. Darker..
A few days erlier me and my brother had an great argument about the Swedish languige. how he hated it and I liked it. He didn't want to go to Sweden because he was so tired of the languige. I figured it sounded funny, and I loved to imitate it. I desided to see the movie just because I wanted to prove to my brother, even though I was the only one awake, that I liked swedish.

It blew my mind away for a year. And I am still very much infected.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

EEA

Post by EEA » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I read Roger Ebert's review on the movie and that got me interested. Then I forgot about the movie. Then in 2010 I remember again. I could remember what the name of the movie was. It took me a while to figure it out. Then I went to Wikipedia to read the summary but I still did not want to see it. I have never liked vampires that much. Then finally I decided to buy the book and if I liked it I would watch the movie. I did and so one night I saw the movie on you tube and I later purchased the film. As I saw the movie I could relate to Oskar since when I was in elementary school for two years I was treated as if I did not exist. As for the Twilight movies the only reason I liked it because I wanted to find out what was going to happen to Alice, Charlie and Dr. Carslile.

TigerEyes

Post by TigerEyes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:35 pm

i discovered it on IMDB when i was researching on a different movie i think was "When a stranger calls" and found some other movies like "Let me in" and some other foreign film. Then i found the LTROI from Let Me In. I've seen the trailer for Let Me In, read the threads and was put off because of pedophilia. Some time later, months i guess, i found the book "Let the right one in." I decided, "I knew they have some things that made me uncomfortable, but i'll give it a shot." So i read the book, then watched the let the right one in on youtube. Then bought the book, then the movie. I've watched Let Me In, i didn't like it much. I loved the original one. It got me thinking and i just love Eli and Oskar. It also got me into wanting to write a story inspired by the book, which is what i'm doing right now.
Run, and you might live.
Stay, and you might die.
However, nothing is certain.

Come visit my blog where i write stuff of Vampires, including Let the right one in, http://godlessvampire.blogspot.com/

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I've told my story before on this forum, but I'll repeat it anyway.

About a year ago, I looked around on svtplay.se, the Swedish public service company's site for watching TV-shows on the net. I found a show I thought might be interesting, Alfredson och söner (Alfredson and sons), where Hans Alfredson and his sons Daniel and Tomas discussed being a film director, and some films they had directed. When they arrived at Tomas and Låt den rätte komma in, I knew that I wanted to watch the movie as well as read the novel.

The next day I went downtown ASAP and bought both, and then went straight back home. I watched the movie first, since I figured that would create the least friction - I wouldn't have any pictures in my mind that would clash with the movie, and when reading the novel, already having images wouldn't be a problem. I watched the movie and read the novel non-stop, in one day.

Later (not much, though), I found this site, and later again, I wrote some fan fiction.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:10 pm

My introduction to Let The Right One In is quite ordinary and boring compared to previous entries ... a friend recommended it ... that's it, lol.

However, since then I have read the book (I am re-reading it again as we speak. This is a first for me, this is the first book of fiction that I have ever re-read), I have made a fanvid, and I have written two (very short) fanfictions.

I also like Let Me In, although not as much as Let The Right One In, obviously.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Sort of blundered across it, actually. Happened to see the trailer (on Fandango I think) during Christmas holidays 2008. Just so happened that it was showing locally. I wasn't particularly enthralled by the trailer, where it came across as blood and guts; not my favorite type of movie. But it did tweak my curiosity enough that I saw it just before New Year's Day. I was one of three people that day. Definitely not a blockbuster.

Just the best movie I've ever seen. :D
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”