Seasons greetings from the author

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
TheVoxHumanus

Re: Seasons greetings from the author

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:47 pm

johnajvide wrote:From now on I won´t post again, i promise.
Stay a while. We don't bite.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Believe it. I do. I have so far been keeping my reaction to this visitation to that of an admin.

As a fan I am absolutely floored that not only has John noticed our little corner of the internet, he has actually visited it.

John,

Thanks for your story. I had read in various interviews that this story was largely biographical. As you said, "All the things in this story happened, just not in this way." However I don't think I really realized how close to you this story of Oskar must be until I heard some of your comments in the English commentary track from the UK DVD. Quite frankly it broke my heart a little bit. I couldn't imagine the courage it would have taken to open up a painful area your life like that in the story. Perhaps that is a necessary ingredient for story that can profoundly touch as many people as this story has. As I came to think that this story did not come to you without cost, I was still too selfish to wish you had never paid that cost because then I have been without this story. I hope that in some small way you feel repaid by the fan base that has collected here and the knowledge of how your story of Oskar & Eli is traveling the world profoundly touching hearts here and there, and leaving something of real and lasting value in its wake.

P.S.: Forget everything that you have ever read here when considering "Let the old dreams die". As Stephanie Meyers has amply demonstrated, fans have no place in the creative process. :)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow. Truly. After reading the second post from John, I've gone from about 60% belief to about 99%. There are a number of reasons for this:

The word "stars" is mentioned in the last line of 3 of the 4 main parts of the novel; I have the English translation, of course, so "stars" isn't the last word in all of them, but it is there. I had not heard that mentioned anywhere, nor is that something I would have been likely to notice, regardless of how many times I read the book.
decltype wrote:I certainly recognize the style (or lack thereof) used by the author. Thank you so much for visiting the board, and best of luck in your future endeavors!"
I consider decltype our resident expert when it comes to up-close-and-personal experience in things relating to LTROI; after all, he met some of the folks connected to the film, and he's an editor on Wikipedia...one of his Wikipedia comments concerning Lina got the thumb-up from her. Plus, he's Swedish. So if he's convinced, that says a lot. By the way, decltype will be one of the few members in a position to substantiate the prolouge provided by John when LITTLE STAR comes out in May.

So, with my 1% skepticism aside, I gotta say, you are a stand-up guy, John. A real gentleman. Many celebs wouldn't take the feelings of even their most ardent fans into consideration. But you did. And that says a lot about you as a person. You have class, and there are a lot of very talented people who don't, sad to say. I hope you will continue to visit us here from time to time, even if you don't post anything for a while.

All the best, to you and yours, JAL. :)

decltype

Post by decltype » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:05 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:I consider decltype our resident expert when it comes to up-close-and-personal experience in things relating to LTROI; after all, he met some of the folks connected to the film, and he's an editor on Wikipedia...one of his Wikipedia comments concerning Lina got the thumb-up from her. Plus, he's Swedish. So if he's convinced, that says a lot. By the way, decltype will be one of the few members in a position to substantiate the prolouge provided by John when LITTLE STAR comes out in May.
You give me way, way, way too much credit. I've absolutely no inside knowledge. I simply thought "johnajvide"'s posts were very convincing and consistent with the image I've formed of the author. Apart from that, I should point out that I'm Norwegian :). You will have to look to StefL or some of our other resident Swedes for the actual verification.

There, now I've washed my hands clean if it turns out in May that we've been hoaxed :) But I'm not concerned about it, really.
N.R. Gasan wrote: I gotta say, you are a stand-up guy, John.
This I have to agree wholeheartedly with.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:09 am

decltype wrote:...I should point out that I'm Norwegian :).
Oops. ::feeling dumb:: I'm like Kurt Russell's character in JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING, the guy who kept calling the ill-fated Norwegian researchers "Swedes." ::deep sigh:: Well, I guess there are worse things to be guilty of.

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:18 am

That said, let's have a few Glögg (or Gløgg for decltype and drakkar) together and be merry :) .
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

decltype

Post by decltype » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:09 am

N.R. Gasan wrote:
decltype wrote:...I should point out that I'm Norwegian :).
Oops. ::feeling dumb:: I'm like Kurt Russell's character in JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING, the guy who kept calling the ill-fated Norwegian researchers "Swedes." ::deep sigh:: Well, I guess there are worse things to be guilty of.
Haha, yeah, good one. Their "Norwegian" is so broken they could be almost anything. "Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! KOM DERE VEKK IDIOTER!!" :lol:

No harm done!

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:51 am

Especially since the overall intonation sounds almost more like garbled Dutch :D .
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

decltype

Post by decltype » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:28 am

TAPETRVE wrote:Especially since the overall intonation sounds almost more like garbled Dutch :D .
Hey, stop insulting the Dutch! :)

Aww, I feel a bit bad for derailing John Ajvide's thread. :roll:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:31 am

Wolfchild wrote:Believe it. I do. I have so far been keeping my reaction to this visitation to that of an admin.

As a fan I am absolutely floored that not only has John noticed our little corner of the internet, he has actually visited it.

John,

Thanks for your story. I had read in various interviews that this story was largely biographical. As you said, "All the things in this story happened, just not in this way." However I don't think I really realized how close to you this story of Oskar must be until I heard some of your comments in the English commentary track from the UK DVD. Quite frankly it broke my heart a little bit. I couldn't imagine the courage it would have taken to open up a painful area your life like that in the story. Perhaps that is a necessary ingredient for story that can profoundly touch as many people as this story has. As I came to think that this story did not come to you without cost, I was still too selfish to wish you had never paid that cost because then I have been without this story. I hope that in some small way you feel repaid by the fan base that has collected here and the knowledge of how your story of Oskar & Eli is traveling the world profoundly touching hearts here and there, and leaving something of real and lasting value in its wake.

P.S.: Forget everything that you have ever read here when considering "Let the old dreams die". As Stephanie Meyers has amply demonstrated, fans have no place in the creative process. :)
I stand corrected!!! :oops:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”