Seasons greetings from the author

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

Re: Seasons greetings from the author

Post by johnajvide » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:34 am

Hi again;

OK, so I said I wouldn´t reply to any posts. Now I just feel I have to. Yes, I couldn´t help but read your responses. Thank you for kind words, all of you.
But there is the question of authenticity (did I spell that right?). It´s not a big deal, but I just felt that if I became happy for somebodys letter or response or whatever, I would certainly like to know that it came from that person I think it did.
It´s a problem, isn´t it? I think this is part of why I´m writing this. The problem in itself got me intrigued.
Either I could tell you some detail from my work that it would be possible to check (that my wife passes on the street behind Virginia in the movie, that the word ”stars” is the final word in three of the four parts in the swedish version of the novel (Yes, a hommage to The Divine Comedy in which all the three parts end with that word.)). But if it is possible to check, I could still be a very well-informed imposter.
On the other hand I could tell you that my grandmothers name was Maj Wahlqvist, that my dog was named Bobby or that I have the capacity to bend my thumbs ninety degrees backwards from the uppermost joint. (Called ”Skomakartumme” in swedish) All true, but difficult to corroborate.
So I came up with a solution, one which I might regret. Or not. I´ll post the prologue for my new novel, ”Little Star”. This isn´t out anywhere, and the novel won´t be published until may. Of course I could still be an imposter, but maybe some swede on this board would recognize my … style, if I have one. And you will know for sure when the novel comes out, for all it´s worth.
Bad idea, maybe? Well at least I will have proven that I am from Sweden. Or that I can write in swedish. Or that I can impersonate swedish.
Anyway, take it as you will. From now on I won´t post again, i promise. I shall leave you in peace. It´s a great board and I´m happy to have people like you discussing my work.
And Merry Christmas, once again.

Here is the prologue to Little Star:

Soliden, Skansen. Den tjugoandra juni 2006. Klockan är tio minuter i åtta. Programledaren värmer upp publiken genom att leda den igenom ”Är det konstigt att man längtar bort nån gång”. När sången är över säger en tekniker åt alla föräldrar att ta ner sina barn från axlarna så att de inte får kamerakranarna på sig.
Solen hänger strax bakom scenen och bländar publiken. Himlen är djupblå. Ungdomarna vid kravallstaketen ombeds backa lite så att ingen blir klämd. Sveriges största musikprogram går i sändning om fem minuter och ingen får komma till skada.
Det måste finnas oaser av trivsel där vardagens bekymmer läggs åt sidan för en stund. Inget ont får hända och alla tänkbara säkerhetsåtgärder är vidtagna för att värna trevnaden.
Skrik av smärta och skräck är otänkbart och det får inte finnas blod över marken, över bänkarna när sändningen är över. Det får inte ligga en död människa på scenen och många fler på marken nedanför. Kaos kan inte tillåtas här. Det är för mycket folk. Det måste vara lugnt och trivsamt.
Nu spelar orkestern upp. ”Stockhom i mitt hjärta” och alla sjunger med. Händer vajar i luften och mobilkameror höjs. En härlig känsla av gemenskap. Det ska dröja ännu femton minuter innan allt trasas sönder med planerad precision.
Låt oss sjunga med så länge. Vi har en lång väg att gå innan vi återvänder hit. Först när vägen har mjukat upp oss och vi är redo att tänka det otänkbara får vi komma tillbaka.
Så kom igen! Allihop!
”Genom Mälarens kärlek till havet
En blandning av sött och salt … ”

BadWolf

Post by BadWolf » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:29 am

I hope one of our Swedish members is busy translating this for us. Thanks John...you rock.

Struan

Post by Struan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, you ROCK John.
Such an awesomely kind gesture for this small community, and how many times in the past have we fantasized -privately or publicly- about something like this happening...? I'm still giddy. Thanks again.
drakkar wrote:
TAPETRVE wrote:Now I'm just waiting for Woofie to leave his comment here :D .
It could be he is doing some research ...:)
I noticed yesterday that the thread seems to be stickied, so it could be he had already decided on its authenticity :)
In a gloomy empty land, with dreary hills ahead.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 pm

johnajvide wrote:...that my wife passes on the street behind Virginia in the movie
Everybody on the forum knows that :D
But the homage to Dante was a new one - some coincidence; I've just played the 7th heaven.
Is this homage to Dante another hint about the general direction of the story - I'm discussing The Happy End again...:)? (And I know you won't answer but that doesn't mean I can't ask... ;) )

When it comes to authenticity, what does it for me is that people I know being fond of LdRKI, for some reason or another are all decent people. I think you can notice on this forum. So, of people with knowledge about the story, I think it is very few which are prone to being frauds. And we are in fact so decent we would be very boring to deceive...

So - Thank you for the Prologue! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the novel. And Seasons Greetings to you again. :)
Last edited by drakkar on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

decltype

Post by decltype » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm

johnajvide wrote:I´ll post the prologue for my new novel, ”Little Star”. This isn´t out anywhere, and the novel won´t be published until may. Of course I could still be an imposter, but maybe some swede on this board would recognize my … style, if I have one.
I certainly recognize the style (or lack thereof) used by the author. Thank you so much for visiting the board, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks again and - God jävla jul och ett gott nyt år! You truly deserve it.
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Has LTROI's homage to Dante's Divine Comedy been discussed?
The voyage through hell and purgatory ending up in paradise? Any parallelism?
Could be a lot of posting :) Christmas is saved.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

THXboy

Post by THXboy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:46 pm

I hate to reference The Polar Express (well, it is that time of year, isn't it?), but "I believe"! :lol: Great to hear from you, John! Like I've said before, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and have a merry Christmas!

I'm going to have to use a translator for this, but, "är du den bästa!" I hope that's correct, if not, I blame the computerized translation software because it has no idea about grammar anyway. :D
"Past screaming from the rooftops,
We live to survive our paradoxes"

-The Tragically Hip

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Wow! I go away for one day and this! I am going to believe this is the man because I really need some good news today.
I would like to thank you Mr. Lindqvist for creating such a fantastic story with two of the most unforgettable characters I've ever read of and watched on the big screen.
Another round of thankings for scripting that wonderful story into, in my honest opinion, one of the best films and probably the best love story of our time.
You and everyone involved have inspired me like nothing before and have me writing and drawing like mad.
I was perfectly happy with the ending of the novel, until I saw the film, now I don't want the story to end at all.
I am looking forward to finding where you take them...I hope!
If you keep writin 'em I'll keep buying 'em! Take care of yourself, God Yul!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:47 pm

I can hardly believe it. Thanx kindly John for reresponding. Your story has turned my world upside down for a little over a year now. Wolfchilds jaw must still be on the ground.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”