Poolside Action

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
gattoparde59

Re: Poolside Action

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 am

danielma wrote:However I can't forgive the fact that if Eli did break Jimmy's neck then why didn't his body go limb in the process. That's the part that I consider the real goof here in this scene :)
Or at least a twitch, or a shudder to indicate something happened. When Jocke get's his neck broken there is a definite reaction to the procedure.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

abidxxx

Post by abidxxx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 am

Just watched the movie on film 4, have to say its damn good. The pool scene!! Bloody hell that was manic. Okay this is what happened, I think?

I have type several theories and keep editing them, my explaination is that Eli kicked their asses so fast its hard to nail one down so heres what I think.

Conny is first to go he is lifted and dropped from a great height, thus explaining the broken body appearance.
Martin is next, he is flown across the water, killed enroute, and left on the poolside.
Jimmy is last, his head is ripped off, closly followed by his arm.

Why, you may ask would Eli not take out Jimmy first as he is the one drowning Oskar. I think Eli did not want Oskar to witness the killings as he may have done if he was saved first.

Why would Jimmy continue to hold Oskars head underwater as his fellow bullies are being killed. I think part disbelief at what is happening, part shock and awe means Jimmy just freezes, after all you dont expect a 12 year old to be flying around killing your mates every day of the week.

Only question is why not kill the fat kid too?

lombano

Post by lombano » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 am

Welcome!

About why Eli let Andreas live, the two most plausible reasons IMO are:

-As he was away from the pool edge and unarmed, he posed no immediate threat to Oskar's life and thus Eli just ignored him, concentrating on those that, as they were next to the water, could pose a danger to Oskar.
-Oskar had told Eli there were three bullies, and Eli may have deduced that it was the three next to the water and thus Andreas was a lookout or a two-bit accomplice or even another bullied kid.
Bli mig lite.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 am

I think Eli ripped off Jimmy's head, held it while lifting Martin upp and dragging him over the water biting him parhaps. After biting him dropping Jimmy's head in the pool. Flying back and killing Conny, that's why he still screams after the head is dropped. Eli probably thought by now Oskar would be up from the water, but he isn't- So Eli ripps off Jimmy's arm and helps Oskar up. Tada!! :lol:
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

abidxxx

Post by abidxxx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I just watched the pool scene again on youtube, and There is a confusing issue.

Jimmy is holding oskar under the water with his right hand whilst leaning over the poolside, but Martins leg enters the water and passes across oskars face, how is that possible, without going through JImmy, at first I thought JImmys arm had been detached at this point but I think it may be a matter of perspective, I think Martins foot enters the water to the left of JImmys body, the camera shot makes it looks as though it goes across but I don't think so and its too big an error to slip through as a movie gaff.

So this is what I think happens...

Jimmys head is ripped off first (he is the immediate threat to Oskar)
We know Martin is grabbed and dragged along the water and killed en route but I think Eli grabbed Martin, Conny and JImmys head at the same time.
The dead martin is dumped at pool side and Eli flies high throwing Jimmys head into the water from height, which explains the speed it enters the water.
Eli still has a live conny who she flies back towards Oskar with, hurling Conny to the floor, from height, which explains his broken body appearance.
Then, the lifeless arm of JImmy is ripped off and Oskar pulled out.

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:00 pm

We should ask TA one day :D

mackousko

Post by mackousko » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Everything said here looks interesting. Those trajectories of ripped of body parts and so on. The greatest mystery is. I think the pool scene is foremost a romantic one. And Eli´s smile at the end is making me feel happy. :roll:

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I think the main thing is what we felt as we say it for the first time. If you were grossed out, at least it should have been mixed with joy. I have seen many horror movies as a kid, was scared to death back then, am not anymore. So I wasn't even grossed out at the most bloody scenes, rather on the bully scenes.. When Eli did his buisniss over the pool surface I know I was smiling and feeling really happy. Finally. 8-)

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I just think TA just felt it too cruel to kill Andreas.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

jetboy wrote:I just think TA just felt it too cruel to kill Andreas.
Also, in the novel it was witnesses. Maybe he wanted that in the film as well?
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”