Have You Infected a Friend?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
seigezunt

Have You Infected a Friend?

Post by seigezunt » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 pm

I keep wanting to show LTROI for friends, but I think I would be annoyed if they didn't like it.

Then there's the seeing me blubber uncontrollably.

Has anyone showed the movie for friends? What's bee your experience?
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

dongregg

Re: Have You Infected a Friend?

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi seigezunt. A few threads down from this one -- Synopsis for an old friend -- you'll find a robust discussion about showing the film to friends and all. Wolfie just doesn't recommend the film any more. He thinks his excitement (or basically anything he can say) raises expectations that can't be met.

But here's what I think: it's our expectations that are usually not met. That is, we aren't looking for "I liked it" or "I liked it but..." I think we're not satisfied unless the person is infected, just as we were. Over the last two years, I've turned a lot of people onto it, either watching it with them at my house or at school (when things are slow), or telling them how to stream it from Amazon or Netflix. The reactions ranged from "meh" to "really liked it."

I haven't suggested to any of them to check out the forum. If they end up infected, I'm pretty sure they'll find us. Just as we all did.

I'm not going to stop introducing people to this classic. I've lowered my expectations concerning the odds of my actually being the agent who leads someone to being infected. But even some of the non-infected continue to talk about it and to ask questions.

I think you're right about being annoyed if your friends don't like it. Weigh that against the possibility of having a friend who does like it, someone you can talk to about it. They don't have to be infected to be an LTROI buddy.

As for blubbering -- well, I blubber about a lot of things -- movies, songs, Eli... I think all my friends know this about me by now!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ElisLove

Post by ElisLove » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 pm

I also have not show Ltroi for my friends, more or less for the sames reasons as you.

However, I create a fan blog in my language, perhaps I can infect someone for it.

http://deixe-os-velhos-sonhos-morrerem.tumblr.com/

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:09 am

I have loaned the DVD to a few people in my office, who enjoyed the film but did not become afficianodos.

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:16 pm

seigezunt wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 pm
I keep wanting to show LTROI for friends, but I think I would be annoyed if they didn't like it.

Then there's the seeing me blubber uncontrollably.

Has anyone showed the movie for friends? What's bee your experience?
I've tried to show LTROI to a few of my friends but sadly they primarily consist of American popcorn movie watchers who are either incapable or unwilling to appreciate the subtle beauty of a foreign masterpiece. Their reactions range from a more polite "oh that seems cool" and never intend to see it to a downright "what kinda lame shit is this?" So I've basically abandoned trying to introduce them to the film. Now I find it far more satisfying to seek out folks who've already seen and love the film...like you guys in WTI. :)
Hit back. Hard.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:06 pm

NigelNinja wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:16 pm
...American popcorn movie watchers who are either incapable or unwilling to appreciate the subtle beauty of a foreign masterpiece.
There are also far too many Brits like that. Sad times.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 pm

I've watched it with dozens of people, including my college and grad students. No go. Only fellow infecteds on our forum have the aesthetic width and breadth to appreciate it.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

andmker

Post by andmker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 pm

I had some luck even after the time that has passed since the film's release but these are usually the responses I get when I mention LTROI:

"Oh is that the movie with the girl that played Hit-Girl in Kickass?"
"It's an old movie why would I watch it now?"
"Is there a English dubbed version?"
"Can I watch it on youtube?"
"Why is it based in Sweden?"
"Was that movie not banned because they showed a girl naked?"

Seriously all those have been genuine reactions for people I've tried to "infect" lol.

Thankfully for every 10 like that there is 1 who watches it and falls in love with the movie. My latest achievement is a German friend who had never watched anything else other than German and English movies before and she loved it (so hopefully will share it with people in Germany)...

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:44 pm

AAAhh yes. Got a girl I once knew through school so infected that she even joined the forum, that was so much fun!! It's like 9,5 years ago so it's been a while. Also, I showed my then twelve year old niece LTROI and she loved it. Shipped Eli and Oskar so hard, wrot their names in her hands with herts and pretended to fly "like Eli" it was adorable. It was a thing we loved together for a few years and we made a packt to vistit Blackeberg together one day. She is an adult now and don't live anywhere near me, and has her stuff going on. But I hope one day we will go, and she still wants to.

That's all I got. ofc, all of my older friends have seen it, was well as my parents and back in the day when I ried to date guys (that did not go well) I walays showed them LTROI to see if they had good taste in movies. Gees. Ofc my curret gf has seen it and liked it very much. Said it was one of the best swedish movies she had ever seen and that it was like, suuuper well made. She is aducated in art so she knows at least estetically what she is talking about ;)

That's all I got.

P.S: OOh I did show it to my class!! God, I write a post about it and everything, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3729&hilit=showed+LTROI+to+my+class
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

andmker

Post by andmker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:41 pm

intrige wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:44 pm
AAAhh yes. Got a girl I once knew through school so infected that she even joined the forum, that was so much fun!! It's like 9,5 years ago so it's been a while. Also, I showed my then twelve year old niece LTROI and she loved it. Shipped Eli and Oskar so hard, wrot their names in her hands with herts and pretended to fly "like Eli" it was adorable. It was a thing we loved together for a few years and we made a packt to vistit Blackeberg together one day. She is an adult now and don't live anywhere near me, and has her stuff going on. But I hope one day we will go, and she still wants to.

That's all I got. ofc, all of my older friends have seen it, was well as my parents and back in the day when I ried to date guys (that did not go well) I walays showed them LTROI to see if they had good taste in movies. Gees. Ofc my curret gf has seen it and liked it very much. Said it was one of the best swedish movies she had ever seen and that it was like, suuuper well made. She is aducated in art so she knows at least estetically what she is talking about ;)

That's all I got.

P.S: OOh I did show it to my class!! God, I write a post about it and everything, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3729&hilit=showed+LTROI+to+my+class
Brilliant :) yeah get yourselves to Sweden next year if possible.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”