How Does Eli Know?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
seigezunt

Re: How Does Eli Know?

Post by seigezunt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 pm

An interesting and creative theory, but I'm not going to adopt it. I prefer to believe that Oskar has freedom of choice.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:37 am

I just want to go back a bit in the thread and address the notion that Eli had some sort of precognitive ability. If this was so in the film, why does Eli need the radio to tell him that Håkan has been caught? Indeed, on the previous evening, Eli seemed to be on the verge of breaking his promise to Håkan by tapping on the wall to Oskar. Given either precog or telepathic ability, wouldn't he have known that Oskar was not even home?

I prefer that Eli was just what he said he was: twelve years old, even though he had been so for a long time. This imbues him with a childish innocence that contrasts well with his monstrous nature. Despite the powers that Eli exhibits on-screen, (he can climb walls, he can kill with his bare hands, he does not feel the cold), all that seems important to him is that he has a chance to be loved. You can believe this of the character because you can believe that he is ultimately a child.

If Eli could really foretell events, then all of that innocence vanishes. He must have schemed to have Oskar there when Lacke came. He must have schemed to put Oskar into mortal danger at the pool. And the scene in the basement must have been sham. All of the charm is drained out of their burgeoning relationship if this was true. Instead of being a love story, it becomes just another story of a predator stalking its prey. Eli being innocent at heart is necessary to this story.

so how did Eli know? He didn't. He was just there. The film had already shown us Eli watching Oskar in the pool. If Eli was going to come back for a last look at Oskar without actually approaching him, the film had laid the groundwork for this being where it would happen.

I think the most interesting question about the pool scene is: Why did Oskar not gasp for air when he came to the surface?

In the novel, if Eli was supposed to have some sort of precognitive ability, I think I can safely say that it failed him in Biblical proportion by not warning him of his encounter with zombie Håkan. :shock:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:36 am

metoo wrote:
jetboy wrote:To me Eli is infinitely more powerful than Oskar in almost every way.
Personally, I favour a view where Eli is just a kid, a peer to Oskar, with only a few exceptions.
This resonates very strongly with me because I think TA is a good story teller and because I think the best way to take the story is straight up, no chaser.

It works that Eli has certain vampiric powers, such as strength. Strength gives her the ability to climb hospital façades and trees. The ability to take down a 14-stone Jocke. Her reflective eyes in the basement hangout suggest night vision. She can project thoughts (although we don't really see this in the film).

But, otherwise, Eli is a 12-year-old kid. I would say that she and Oskar are equally smart but in different ways. Eli has quick-thinking, fluid intelligence -- the ability to solve problems without recourse to stored knowledge; Oskar has a headful of facts, crystallized intelligence -- problem-solving based on words and numbers. Until Oskar figures out the algorithm, Eli will continue to solve the Rubik's cube faster than he can.

Now, I've said many times that Tomas Alfredson is a good story teller. I think he's also a good salesman. He said two things post-production that I take with a grain of salt -- that the interpretation is open as to whether Oskar becomes the next Håkan, and that Oskar actually dies in the pool. Swell, TA, but that's not how you shot JAL's script. Here's what I think -- given that so much of the film ended up on the cutting-room floor, TA is just playing head games, a post-production spin that could foster interest in the film. Call me a skeptic, then, but the story is what we see on the screen, not what TA says about it after the fact. Or even call me a heretic, but I see what I see.

And I see two bright 12-year-olds. One has a few extraordinary powers, but they're equal in all other ways. That's what I see on the screen, and that's why I think taking a straight-forward approach to the film is satisfying.

But that's just me.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:36 am

And I see two bright 12-year-olds. One has a few extraordinary powers, but they're equal in all other ways. That's what I see on the screen, and that's why I think taking a straight-forward approach to the film is satisfying.
hear hear. That's what I see too, but there's no harm in engaging in some wild mass guessing. In part I think that's because we infected are overly protective of our favorite 12 year old couple. The world is a scary place for two kids venturing out on their own, vampire or no. Giving Eli crazy powers is our way of ensuring that they can be safe and happy. But I think JAL made it clear that they can take care of themselves as just two bright kids.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:56 am

cmfireflies wrote:
hear hear. That's what I see too, but there's no harm in engaging in some wild mass guessing. In part I think that's because we infected are overly protective of our favorite 12 year old couple. The world is a scary place for two kids venturing out on their own, vampire or no. Giving Eli crazy powers is our way of ensuring that they can be safe and happy. But I think JAL made it clear that they can take care of themselves as just two bright kids.
Indeed. I too rejoice in the many ways we see Eli. Our vast treasure of fan fictions and fan art attest to the love we have of Oskar and Eli and to the great imaginations we bring to the forum.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

epicfan84

Post by epicfan84 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:52 am

Possible explanation: Eli knew she could not do without Oskar so she decided to come back. Oskar had already taken her to his weights and physical training class at the pool before (remember the handprint scene) so she knows where he normally is at that time. We can tell it is a weekly thing because on of the bullies asks Oskar if he's going to be "here this week" meaning it's a once a week thing. She travels to the pool, sees the commotion outside and then overhears what's going on then busts down the door and finally the scene occurs. Am I crazy, or is this a feasible?
"Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another"

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:18 am

Wolfchild wrote: I think the most interesting question about the pool scene is: Why did Oskar not gasp for air when he came to the surface
I've brought this up before but this and the fact that he did seem to struggle for air, while underwater, but then became calm at the time of Elis arrival, signifies the exact moment when Oskar passed on to the other side. So to also comment on what dongregg said about TA not shooting what he talks about in interviews, how do you explain Oskar struggling for air and then not even gasping when coming up for air? This take also explains, better than any yet, why Eli shows up to save Oskar at the exact time needed because it quite neatly encompasses the unexplained timing as I mentioned plus that she did what she said she would at the jungle gym. I understand that people don't like this take for obvious reasons but...he looks pretty alive to me and he's also with Eli. Is it a different Eli? Is the other Eli still struggling through life in another town and does she hear on the radio the terrible murder of Oskar by Jimmy? All that I don't know but consider in some abstract way that Eli could've been an angel or that much of the pool scene and death is metaphorical, as in they are now in heaven (on earth) now that they are officially totally committed to each other.

Any way you slice it though you can't just say one take is the one that is shown on the screen because there are questions to be answered in all of them, ie the original topic of this conversation. Peace.

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:43 am

These are all very interesting theories that of course are limited by what TA & JAL decided to include in the finished product. And no doubt there are miles of discarded footage and scenes that never made it into film. Much much more than the DVD deleted scenes. Perhaps this missing content could prove or disprove some of the above conjecture, or perhaps it would only lead to greater ambiguity and incongruity like the E&O fighting deleted footage.
Personally I'd love to see that unused footage, not so much to tie up any loose ends, but just to watch scenes of 12 years old Lina and Kåre acting. Maybe one day EFTI could include it in a future "Director's Cut' DVD as additional deleted scenes. All their scenes together were gems and it seems a shame that some (any) may never see the light of day. And just imaging watching Eli yell from the taxi window - "Jag kommer tillbaka för dig....." :lol:

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:27 am

Ash wrote:And just imaging watching Eli yell from the taxi window - "Jag kommer tillbaka för dig....." :lol:
Didn't you perhaps intend to write "Jag kommer tillbaka efter dig"? :think:
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:49 am

Wolfchild wrote:so how did Eli know? He didn't. He was just there. The film had already shown us Eli watching Oskar in the pool. If Eli was going to come back for a last look at Oskar without actually approaching him, the film had laid the groundwork for this being where it would happen.
Yes! Many of these questions get answered by the careful construction of the film.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”