My absolute favorite moment of the film

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
NigelNinja

My absolute favorite moment of the film

Post by NigelNinja » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:17 pm

:) :wub:

I'm sorry to gush like this but newly infected i just have to talk about this amazing story

My absolute absolute favorite scene that makes my heart just melt is when Eli pulls Oskar from the pool and they exchange "the look" that expresses that they had both let the right one in.

Seriously how did 12 year old actors make them seem so genuine? It just blows my mind.

Again sorry to gush but I can't help it...im thoroughly infected. :D :D
Hit back. Hard.

gkmoberg1

Re: My absolute favorite moment of the film

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:55 pm

It does seem you are infected. So sorry to learn of this :twisted: May your recovery be long and lengthy (insert evil laughter)

Oh, and welcome :!: 8-)

Your topic heading 'My absolute favorite moment of the film' is good to ponder. Straight off, I don't think I have an 'absolute favorite,' yet I have many favorites.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 pm

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:55 pm
It does seem you are infected. So sorry to learn of this :twisted: May your recovery be long and lengthy (insert evil laughter)

Your topic heading 'My absolute favorite moment of the film' is good to ponder. Straight off, I don't think I have an 'absolute favorite,' yet I have many favorites.
1. Their hands unconsciously mirroring each other through Eli's glass door. Note: She seems to have given up on seeing Oskar again. Blood-caked fingernails, Indifferently dressed.
2, The goodbye kiss after she kills Lacke.
3. The shared smile at the swimming pool.
4. The self-possessed Eli cocking her head. "What are you doing?"
5. The awkward hug behind the kiosk.
6. "Do I smell better?"
7. Eli purring in her sleep as she hugs her sleep doll.

There are others, but thanks for the opportunity to trip with the film again! :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:09 am

It's hard to choose a single favorite, but for me it's probably either the bed scene, the scene where Eli shows how he solved the cube, or the hug behind the kiosk.

The hug is especially meaningful to me because I find the text equivalent to be one of the most touching parts of the book. A passage from it was included on the dust jacket of the Swedish hardcover edition which I first read, so it was my first proper introduction to the story and helped set the tone for the entire novel.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:09 am
It's hard to choose a single favorite, but for me it's probably either the bed scene, the scene where Eli shows how he solved the cube, or the hug behind the kiosk.

The hug is especially meaningful to me because I find the text equivalent to be one of the most touching parts of the book. A passage from it was included on the dust jacket of the Swedish hardcover edition which I first read, so it was my first proper introduction to the story and helped set the tone for the entire novel.
Yes! The kiosk hug scene is friggin awesome! Definitely my number 2 by the narrowest of margins behind the pool look!
:wub:
Hit back. Hard.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:20 pm

This is the third time I've tried to write this post, I just couldn't express my thoughts adequately enough so I scrapped the attempt and tried again the next day. I still don't think I've got it right but there's only so many times you can try before giving up altogether.

For me it is the innocence and honesty of the scene where Eli enters Oskar's bedroom through the window. We learn that Oskar really has no clue about relationships, which means that there is no ulterior motive, no other agenda, just a heartbreaking need to connect with Eli. Oskar is one of the most guileless characters I have ever seen. After being pushed to the societal bottom by his peers it's amazing that he risked further rejection at all, and from Eli no less (although probably because of Eli). As for Eli, the guarded suspicion of Oskar's true objective when he asked about "going steady" tells us that Eli has experienced the wrong kind of attention in his past and wants none of that from Oskar. The eventual embracing of Oskar's innocence and acceptance of his friendship confirms Eli's true intentions towards Oskar. Add to that the sumptuous heart rending score from Johan Söderqvist to chase away any doubts about Let The Right One In being a love story.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Jameron wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:20 pm
This is the third time I've tried to write this post, I just couldn't express my thoughts adequately enough so I scrapped the attempt and tried again the next day. I still don't think I've got it right but there's only so many times you can try before giving up altogether.

For me it is the innocence and honesty of the scene where Eli enters Oskar's bedroom through the window. We learn that Oskar really has no clue about relationships, which means that there is no ulterior motive, no other agenda, just a heartbreaking need to connect with Eli. Oskar is one of the most guileless characters I have ever seen. After being pushed to the societal bottom by his peers it's amazing that he risked further rejection at all, and from Eli no less (although probably because of Eli). As for Eli, the guarded suspicion of Oskar's true objective when he asked about "going steady" tells us that Eli has experienced the wrong kind of attention in his past and wants none of that from Oskar. The eventual embracing of Oskar's innocence and acceptance of his friendship confirms Eli's true intentions towards Oskar. Add to that the sumptuous heart rending score from Johan Söderqvist to chase away any doubts about Let The Right One In being a love story.

You've express my sentiments perfectly. This scene is and always has been my favorite, for just the reasons you've given.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Jameron wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:20 pm

That is very eloquently said. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said there. That scene is so poignant and moving. You can truly feel the energy of their absolute innocence in only seeking someone to connect with. The way the doubts fade away from both of them into gradual and then complete acceptance and trust of each other moves me to tears every time I see it.
Hit back. Hard.

andmker

Post by andmker » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:11 pm

dongregg wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 pm
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:55 pm

1. Their hands unconsciously mirroring each other through Eli's glass door. Note: She seems to have given up on seeing Oskar again. Blood-caked fingernails, Indifferently dressed.
2, The goodbye kiss after she kills Lacke.
3. The shared smile at the swimming pool.
4. The self-possessed Eli cocking her head. "What are you doing?"
5. The awkward hug behind the kiosk.
6. "Do I smell better?"
7. Eli purring in her sleep as she hugs her sleep doll.

There are others, but thanks for the opportunity to trip with the film again! :wub:
I loved the "The awkward hug behind the kiosk" - Eli looks so surprised and unsure how to react. Oskar was just being a decent (loving) human. It is understated which is why it works.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 pm

andmker. There's a lot going on here. Eli feels normal human embarrassment at throwing up. Oskar doesn't know how to react, but he automatically comforts Eli with the hug. Throughout the film, human impulses serve when experience is lacking. The unconscious hand play at her glass door is a pure example. There are so many others. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”