Deleted scene

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
NigelNinja

Deleted scene

Post by NigelNinja » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am

Can anyone give me some insight as to why Oskar and Eli were fighting/wrestling in the deleted scene? I haven't read the book and I only have a digital copy of the film that doesn't have any filmmaker commentary or anything.

BTW, I dont think I've cried like that since my mother died when he hugs her and says he's sorry after hitting her, and then you can see her trying to hold back from crying. Absolutely amazing acting.
Hit back. Hard.

intrige

Re: Deleted scene

Post by intrige » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Thwy were wrestling, 'cause Oskar was mad at Eli for lying, so he started to fight Eli, hits him across the face and then they start to wrestle. Mock fighting in a way, Eli especially was careful and pretendng to be tired. From the book that is. Just read it bruh ;) I bt someone has it in english somewhere online
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm

intrige wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:51 pm
Thwy were wrestling, 'cause Oskar was mad at Eli for lying, so he started to fight Eli, hits him across the face and then they start to wrestle. Mock fighting in a way, Eli especially was careful and pretendng to be tired. From the book that is. Just read it bruh ;) I bt someone has it in english somewhere online
Here's the meat of the fight. IMO, the part that drove home its importance to Eli is the last line.
The money. She gave me money so I would stay.
He got up out of the armchair, took out the crumpled bills from his pocket, laid everything except a hundred kronor note on the table. Put it back in his pocket and said: "I'm going home."
She leaned over, grabbed his wrist. "Stay. Please."
"Why? All you do is lie."
He tried to move away from her, but her grip on his wrist hardened.
"Let me go!"
"I'm not some freak from the circus!"
Oskar clenched his teeth, said calmly: "Let me go."
She did not let go. The cold arc of anger in Oskar's chest started to vi-brate, sing, and he threw himself on top of her. Landed on top of her and pressed her backwards into the couch. She weighed almost nothing and he had her pinned up against the armrest, sat down on her chest while the arc bent, shook, made black dots in front of his eyes as he raised his arm and hit her in the face as hard as he could.
A sharp slapping sound bounced between the walls and her head jerked to the side, drops of saliva flew out of her mouth, and his hand burned. The arc cracked, fell to pieces, and his anger dissolved.
He sat on her chest, looked bewildered at her little head that lay turned in profile against the black leather of the couch as a flush bloomed on the cheek he had struck. She lay still, her eyes open. He rubbed his hands over his face. "Sorry. Sorry. I. . ."
Suddenly she turned around, threw him off her chest, pushed him up against the back of the couch. He tried to get a grip on her shoulders, but missed, got ahold of her hips, and she landed with her belly right over his face. He threw her off, twisted around, and both of them tried to get ahold of the other.
They rolled around on the couch, wrestling. With tensed muscles and utter concentration. But with care, so that neither would hurt the other. They snaked around each other, bumped against the table.
Pieces of the black egg fell to the floor with the sound of raindrops on a metal roof.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm

PeteMork wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm
IMO, the part that drove home its importance to Eli is the last line.
Nice catch. I'd never thought about that aspect of it. I've always liked that scene because of the line about them being careful not to hurt each other (especially knowing that Eli could kill Oskar in a matter of seconds if he wanted to), but now I like it even more.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 pm

NigelNinja wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am
I haven't read the book
Dude, you need to read the book!

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Jameron wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 pm
NigelNinja wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:53 am
I haven't read the book
Dude, you need to read the book!

I know. I have a copy. I suffer from severe dyslexia, so before I jump into such a daunting task I need to ensure I have proper time to adequately understand and process what I'm reading, especially considering how much I adore the story, but I promise y'all ill get to it before much longer. :)
Hit back. Hard.

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am

I know it is on audiobook in english, I have listened to it myself back in the day ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 am

Ha ha! I didn't read the book for 3 years and then only after a lot of pressure from gkmoberg1 and PeteMork!

The film is so rich that I could stay immersed in it forever. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

andmker

Post by andmker » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:20 pm

The audiobook is really well read and worth a listen :)

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:07 pm

dongregg wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 am
Ha ha! I didn't read the book for 3 years and then only after a lot of pressure from gkmoberg1 and PeteMork!

The film is so rich that I could stay immersed in it forever. :wub:
I've watched it at least once every day for almost two months!
Hit back. Hard.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”