First Impressions of LTODD: The Epilogue to the Epilogue

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
Jameron

Re: First Impressions of LTODD: The Epilogue to the Epilogue

Post by Jameron » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

drakkar wrote:
Jameron wrote:And so John finally nails the coffin lid down on the 'cycle theory', and good riddance too. :lol:
Hultcrantz has a vey similar ending in his stageplay too, independently, since it was written before LTODD. Eli ashamingly asks Oskar if he want to become like him, and Oskar declines. As they part, Oskar actually believes Eli has helped him into a new start. However, after receiving the final message from society that "we don't want you", he sits down beside Eli, stretching out his blood dripping hand towards him .
I never really entertained that cycle theory, that would be a rubbish end to a beautiful love story, lol. It fits well with Let Me In as it has more resemblance to a 'horror' film than Let The Right One In does.

That play sounds like it was really something. Clearly the natural audience are the original book/film fans, so the play doesn't have to over explain everything and it can also take risks by being vague and trusting the audience to fill in the gaps correctly.

I'm just imagining that scene now where Oskar slowly holds his hand out, without speaking, unsure ... Eli slowly understanding what he is trying to communicate. I'm guessing they didn't speak? They shouldn't have needed to, it should have been more than obvious, even to people that hadn't read the epilogue.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm

Jameron wrote:That play sounds like it was really something. Clearly the natural audience are the original book/film fans, so the play doesn't have to over explain everything and it can also take risks by being vague and trusting the audience to fill in the gaps correctly.
I read a review today, written by someone not familiar with the story, and he did mentioned it being a bit difficult for him to follow the action.
Jameron wrote:I'm just imagining that scene now where Oskar slowly holds his hand out, without speaking, unsure ... Eli slowly understanding what he is trying to communicate. I'm guessing they didn't speak?
No, they didn't speak. And he didn't hold his hand out, unsure, as I remember it, just quietly, Eli biting his palm without a word. Then holding hands, quitely, looking into each other's eyes, as the light faded and they slowly disappeared from the world and our sight. It was a magical moment, and several seconds passed before anybody dared to break it with applause. When at last it started, it was very weak, slowly building up to a standing ovation.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 am

drakkar wrote:
Jameron wrote:I'm just imagining that scene now where Oskar slowly holds his hand out, without speaking, unsure ... Eli slowly understanding what he is trying to communicate. I'm guessing they didn't speak?
No, they didn't speak. And he didn't hold his hand out, unsure, as I remember it, just quietly, Eli biting his palm without a word. Then holding hands, quitely, looking into each other's eyes, as the light faded and they slowly disappeared from the world and our sight. It was a magical moment, and several seconds passed before anybody dared to break it with applause. When at last it started, it was very weak, slowly building up to a standing ovation.
Oskar not being unsure makes more sense, I suppose. But I didn't mean that he was unsure about becoming a Vampire, or unsure of his feelings towards ELi, or unsure of Eli's feelings towards him ... just unsure whether Eli was still prepared to turn him having been knocked back, not so long ago.

But yeah, Oskar being sure, makes sense.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:59 am

Jameron wrote:Oskar not being unsure makes more sense, I suppose. But I didn't mean that he was unsure about becoming a Vampire, or unsure of his feelings towards ELi, or unsure of Eli's feelings towards him ... just unsure whether Eli was still prepared to turn him having been knocked back, not so long ago.

But yeah, Oskar being sure, makes sense.
In the stageplay Oskar saves Eli from zombie Håkan, not Lacke (who doesn't exist), and Eli's "proposal" comes just after that, Eli standing with a suitcase in his hand asking Oskar to become like him. Oskar just having vitnessed zombie Håkan perhaps made him less likely to accept the offer this soon. Just before they part, Oskar also rather happily tells Eli he has received a call from a friend inviting him to the pool the next day, so in the stageplay Oskar is ready to become part of the world again. He just needs one more blow from it before he leaves.

Like in the book, Eli asks Oskar to become like him rather than come with him, in the first parting, while Oskar says that he want to be with him but not like him. So it sort of shines through that Oskar going with Eli without being turned isn't an option.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

So is this Karin in the stage version, or does the policewoman not have a name?

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:14 am

Yes, this is Karen, but she doesn't have a name in the stage play.
Hultcarantz (the stage play writer and director) wrote the play before John published LTODD, so he just happened (?) to include her.
I asked him about his after the play, and he said he didn't know about John's epilogue when he wrote the stage play. A bit eerie, actually, except that it probably is the most natural ending.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”