Re: LTROI - Phoenix Creative Collective (Merced, CA) - Oct 2019

Post by snackdog1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 am

Here is a trailer for our production.
https://www.facebook.com/phoenixccmerce ... k4MjA5OTY/

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 am

That's what I'm talking about. Snowstorm, blood on snow. Well done! :D
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:39 am

dongregg wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 am
That's what I'm talking about. Snowstorm, blood on snow. Well done! :D
I suppose I should mention that I saw the play in Brooklyn with three other forum members. And then in Austin with PeteMork and one of our members who was part of the Brooklyn get together. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Scheduled to see LTROI tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7:30. :wub: We'll let you all know how it went.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:35 am

PeteMork wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:28 pm
Scheduled to see LTROI tomorrow night (Saturday) at 7:30. :wub: We'll let you all know how it went.
@snackdog1, it looks like you're getting a visitor. @PeteMork, I am envious.

snackdog1

Post by snackdog1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Parking Advisory: The City of Merced, in its infinite wisdom has decided that this was the week to shut down Main Street, right in front of the Merced Multicutural Arts Center (MAC) It looks a bit like a war zone between the construction and reconstruction going on down there. Parking is available at the Bank of America, near the center. The Shannon Parking Garage in back of the MAC is also available. If you decided to eat first, there are a few restaurants near Bob Hart Square (Destino's, Pinocchios, J&R Tacos, LIttle Oven Pizza, Trevino's Mexican Restaurant, Kings &Aces) that have parking available and you could walk the 1 1/2 to 2 blocks to the MAC>
Doors open around 6:30, House opens at 7. It is a small venue, with about 80 seats. You can ask for me (Debbie) and someone will get me, so we can say "hi."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm

My daughter and I saw the play last night and were very pleasantly surprised, not only by the clever stage management, but by the superb performances by Spencer Brown (Oskar) and Juniper Sprague (Eli). The chemistry between them was far superior, IMHO, to that in the National Theatre of Scotland production I saw in Austin. And after all, isn't that relationship the heart and soul of the book and the play? But they couldn’t have done it without the beautiful nastiness of the bullies; Jonny (Daniel Snell) and Micke (Amber Rain Fowler).

Shawn Overton (Hakan) perfectly balanced the love/hate/jealousy-ridden relationship between Eli and himself. Mr. Avila (Greg Ruelas) was also excellent as the well-meaning but ineffective mentor/coach who did his best against finally overwhelming odds, and the rest of the cast, many of whom played multiple parts, did their jobs so well that they made it easy to suspend disbelief.

There were also some unexpected dips back into the book itself, including references to 'Elias' in reference to Eli’s origins and a better filled out discussion about the ramifications of Oskar’s love of a ‘not-a-girl,’ clearly taken from the book and modernized by the director, whose poetic license nudged the overall dialogue into a more ‘American’ vernacular, including well-integrated modern profanity. :o

As jaded as we all might be after years of dissecting and trisecting the novel and both books, this production actually gave us both new food for thought. And I might add, a few tears were shed. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see an imaginative, clever and well-thought-out interpretation of our beloved tale. The show will be running through next weekend. ;)

And thanks to snackdog1 for all your kindness and consideration. We're sorry we missed your message, and consequently became two (or three?) ships that passed in the night. :(
Last edited by PeteMork on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Sorry you missed Denise (?). Otherwise I'm jealous that you got to see this version. Question: Was the choreography more grounded in realism than dance?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm

dongregg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm
Sorry you missed Denise (?). Otherwise I'm jealous that you got to see this version. Question: Was the choreography more grounded in realism than dance?
I mean "Debbie." Sorry! :oops:

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:27 pm

dongregg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm
Sorry you missed Debbie. Otherwise I'm jealous that you got to see this version. Question: Was the choreography more grounded in realism than dance?
Realism wins out by a reasonable margin, but it would have been a knockout if they could have done it in absolute darkness. :D

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”