Let the Right One In officially ordered as a series on Showtime

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
CyberGhostface

Let the Right One In officially ordered as a series on Showtime

Post by CyberGhostface » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/368396 ... -showtime/

Showtime has ordered ten episodes. We're finally getting a series.

Adaptation-wise the big change so far is that the Hakan character is Eli's biological father with Eli (or Eleanor as she is here) being turned ten years ago. (It goes without saying that any American adaptation was going to leave out the gender reveal period.)
No banaaaanas?

Jameron

Re: Let the Right One In officially ordered as a series on Showtime

Post by Jameron » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:19 pm

I don't particularly want to be a downer on this, and I'm sure the people behind this have worked hard to get around what they perceive as areas they can't go into while trying to do the original justice. That being said, this looks like Let The Right One In in name only. I'm not saying this is likely to be bad, but it's not going to be faithful to the original. In all honesty, as much as we all here love this story, Let The Right One In is not the kind of story that lends itself to a successful and profitable TV series in the US (or the UK). It just isn't. And that's not a bad thing. It is what it is.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Yeah to me it just feels watered down. Having Hakan being Eli’s biological father, Eli being a straight up girl and only being a vampire for a short period of time makes Matt Reeves’s take look transgressive in comparison.

That being said if they had Nick Antosca or Mike Flanagan behind it we probably could have gotten a faithful and effective adaptation. Antosca probably would have relished the idea of giving us zombie Hakan with the oozing penis.
No banaaaanas?

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:47 pm

It will be a "drama" and non-horror adaptation , but without Alfredson's artistic nuances.

ffs my dreams of seeing a Hellraiser-style adaptation have been lost.

They already changed Hakan and added some shitty characters, like a cop (certainly not Staffan) I'm sure no Vampire Lord, no Eli complicated gender and past, probably no PISSBALL ( :think: ) and some crappy american politics/commentary

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:26 am

The aging actor alone will guarantee that this doesn't last for longer than one season.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:19 pm

Just as plenty of members liked Let Me In, plenty of us will like the Show Time series, but I'll never see it. I'm all in with LTROI, not teen romance. Pre-teen, OK, but any other kind of romance...ho hum.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

JToede

Post by JToede » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:26 am
The aging actor alone will guarantee that this doesn't last for longer than one season.
Or they could kill him off and then replace him with another character.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 am

This time "Eli" is recently converted vampire, apparently, so they can "cure" her for another season, which I hope never exists.

My main complaint anyway is the title, why was the name kept? It should be Let me in, now "Let in the right one" will be associated with whatever comes out of this. In fact, its better that they change all names since it is a different story in different setting.

Milkman

Post by Milkman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:39 pm

Pissball wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:08 am
This time "Eli" is recently converted vampire, apparently, so they can "cure" her for another season, which I hope never exists.

My main complaint anyway is the title, why was the name kept? It should be Let me in, now "Let in the right one" will be associated with whatever comes out of this. In fact, its better that they change all names since it is a different story in different setting.
Has that been mentioned?? Part of the plot will be the a search for a cure?
I hope they don't find it as well. Also hope that's not the plot. Part of why I like the LTROI Universe so much is the inevitability of vampirism, which is looked upon as a disease. Once you get it, you get it. It doesn't get any easier, you either deal with it and survive, or you don't and die. There's no third option.
By even opening up the door to a possible cure, the vibe itself shifts.
Obviously we already know there're way too many differences between both stories (LTROI Novel/Movie and now this ltroi series), and so even if the plot isn't about some cure, it'll be too different already to be considered the same story.

I agree with the title aspect. If the series end up being a major success, it would drag the name "Let The Right One In" to the mud. Doesn't make any sense to keep the name.
The American movie changed it to "Let me in", it was a simple change, but in my opinion it was perfect. People can easily differentiate both movies and stories, and by maintaining some part of the name it tells the watcher "There's some resemblance to the Sweedish movie Let The Right One In".
I must be gone and live, or stay and die.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:36 am

Can't wait to see how they mess it up.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”