New TV adaptation ordered by Showtime

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Pissball

Re: New TV adaptation ordered by Showtime

Post by Pissball » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:43 pm

They should call it "Let Me In" or whatever other name and it will be all good.

I really don't want this thing to appropiate the title "Let the right one in" at all, or to be associated with, only as "inspired by" or "based on", and then they can go with absolute different paths all they want. And probably even making good stuff.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 am
Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 am
Naomi is the combination of Oskar’s mother and policeman Staffan?
Staffan and/or Gunnar Holmberg. Maybe a bit of Karin from LTODD as well.
I wonder what time period this show will be set in. If it is set in the present, expecting the kids using social media and listening to BTS and stuff. Lol.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:25 am

This is one of the areas where the 2010 (or so) remake of the 1976 movie "Carrie" exceeded the original for today's audiences.

Back in the day, there were no cells, tablets, wifi - in fact, most common people couldn't even afford consumer movie cameras. In Moretz' Carrie, just before she snapped and roasted most of the school, there's some footage showing her humiliation in the shower on the big screens in the gym for *everybody* to see, rubbing emotional battery acid to a still supporating wound. This really wouldn't have been possible (or plausible) in 1976.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 pm

Now that Oskar is a black kid (apparently) I guess they gonna throw some political/racial lecture, very common in today american show biss. (Maybe the bullies will taunt him with racist slurs or something).

Also, they described the series as ""elevated"" (which is a label used for the trend of artsy horror films) drama and love letter to the original.. So I expect an "anti-horror" approach (again), very self-serious and probably with very little humor or bizarre scenes. Im totally ok with artsy approach, specially on TV, not so much with yet another "hey, this is drama, not horror" as we already had that with T.Alfredson, and he made it work. The book was a great blend of both, but it was never "ashamed" of being a genre piece, neither is JAL.

One of the main horror parts of the story actually is human Hakan, and he is already dropped, although he can comeback as another character maybe.

And is not a saccarine romance either, Oskar and Eli are not "easy" characters. Unlike other infected I have no problem with them being teen for that matter, aslong theyre the same as in the book, Oskar a naive guy in sexual themes, and life in general with a psycho-killing fantasies with little to no friends and isolated in school, and Eli as this dangerous outcast with a rare "decease" living in poor conditions. Both good at heart, interest in each other company, not sex. Their "romance" has moments of tenderness and sweetness but there's also fun, distrust and anger.

Finally, this is produced by the same folks that tried 3 years ago, they really want to pulled it off it seems, and Showtime ordered a "pilot" sooo this is not an "auteur" mini series with a intented begin and ending, but your typical produced tv show, which means if it work they can go on and add any kind of crap as long it gave them rating.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:51 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm
"The show is both a love letter to the original film and a unique story of its own", Hinderaker added.
Every piece of LTROI fan fic I've ever read is also a love letter to the story. This is right sentiment in my view. I'm in.

Untethering their stories from the original story line while keeping to the same universe could allow some talented storytellers to plumb the depths of some of the same "What if... ?" questions that we ask ourselves here. I just hope that they are indeed talented storytellers.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:16 am

Variety is reporting another casting news.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/let-th ... 234963197/
Grace Gummer has been cast in the “Let the Right One In” pilot at Showtime, Variety has learned.

She joins previously announced cast members Demián Bichir and Anika Noni Rose. The series centers on Mark (Bichir), a father and his 12-year-old daughter, Eleanor, whose lives were changed forever 10 years earlier when she was turned into a vampire. Locked in at age 12, perhaps forever, Eleanor lives a closed-in life, able to go out only at night, while her father does his best to provide her with the minimal amount of human blood she needs to stay alive.

Gummer will play the role of Claire. The heiress of a pharmaceutical empire, Claire is a brilliant scientist who turned down the family’s billion-dollar business to pursue a humbler, nobler career in disease research. But her life gets turned upside down when her estranged, ailing father summons her home and reveals a terrible secret.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 am

Not entirely sure how I feel about introducing a more medical or scientific side to the story, but it sounds like it could be interesting.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”