Finished: That was something... (meant in a good way)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Rörelsen
danielmann861

Finished: That was something... (meant in a good way)

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:49 am

I finally got around to finishing it. I took my time reading it and took a bit of a break from it once I got to chapter 3. But I had a 7 hour train trip this past Friday and decided to finally finish it. That third part was something else. Absolutely riveting and some of the best stuff I've ever read from John in that final part. Especially some of those descriptions. The dead couple and their sexual activities especially. :D That whole descriptive chapter of John watching the video was something else entirely and will stick with me for quite a while. The imagery in this book gets wild at times, but in the best way possible.

All in all, this was very interesting. I actually still haven't read I Am Behind You but after reading this, I think I'm gonna make a start on that this week. I want to know more about the portal and the field itself. Apparently this all gets tied up rather neatly in the upcoming third part (or so I heard) so I guess I have to wait for that later this year.

But all in all, this was fascinating. From the early chapters following his almost autobiographical account of his young days, I was riveted with that alone. Seeing the seeds that led to LTROI with the story about the abused boy in the woods, his struggling days as a Magician, his almost friendship with the skinhead Thomas was especially interesting to me, Lars and his obsession with his sons 9th birthday (because that is obviously what he sees when entering the portal.) And then it ramps up in Part 3 and really sucked me in until I got to that ending.

I mean the obvious metaphor is that of drug addiction. You can't deny it. This small community becomes so consumed in that need to escape their dull, dreary lives and become engulfed by the other which promises them something better but at a cost. It's that yearning for a sense of belonging that I feel John does best with his writing and this one is no exception. I'm still curious about the white being at the end...like I said I guess I have to go read I Am Behind You and wait patiently for I Am The Tiger to wrap it up.

But yeah, I really enjoyed this. Especially that final part. It's somewhere between horror and autobiographical memoir, but all together it was a fascinating read that moved at a solid pace. Really enjoyed my time with this one.

Siggdalos

Re: Finished: That was something... (meant in a good way)

Post by Siggdalos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:49 am
Apparently this all gets tied up rather neatly in the upcoming third part (or so I heard) so I guess I have to wait for that later this year.
For the most part, yes. There are a few minor mysteries from I Am Behind You that remain unsolved by the end of I Am the Tiger, but John has said (in Misslyckas igen, misslyckas bättre and the January 13 stream) that he'll hopefully resolve those in the short story Sigge that he'll write sometime in the next few years.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “I Always Find You”