Vampires from Let the right one in

A forum for discussing fan-created media related to Let The Right One In.
intrige

Vampires from Let the right one in

Post by intrige » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:30 pm

Here's a youtuber who covers vampire lore in different movies, he just released one about LTROI, it's pretty neat and the comments are great. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zivl4z1v8g
Last edited by intrige on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

gkmoberg1

Re: Vampires from Let teh right one in

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:08 am

What a good review!

If I made a movie and got reviews like this, I'd be smiling for weeks.

The only parts I have to complain about is that this reviewer mixes information from the book in with what is given in the movie. Maybe I am too picky. But the movie's review should be based on what the Viewer experiences. Not that plus information that is only given when the novel is brought into the review. Or at least the reviewer should separate the review and critique appropriately between movie and movie plus novel.

But this is a minor point. I'm enthusiastic to see LTROI continue to receive positive, worthwhile and informative reviews. If he gets lots of views on his channel, it might raise awareness of the movie.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:01 pm

You think that's picky? I get annoyed when reviewers constantly mispronounce Eli's name.

Reviewer: "The vampire's name is Ellie..."

Me: "Dude! They speak it out loud in the film you're reviewing! Is it too much to ask that you use the original pronunciation? It's not like it's a difficult name to pronounce, unlike X Æ A-12"

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 pm

Jameron wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:01 pm
You think that's picky? I get annoyed when reviewers constantly mispronounce Eli's name.

Me: "Dude! They speak it out loud in the film you're reviewing! Is it too much to ask that you use the original pronunciation? It's not like it's a difficult name to pronounce, unlike X Æ A-12"
Personally speaking, I don't expect non-Swedes to get the pronunciations of the names exactly right.* If I have to pick, I vastly prefer them using "Ellie" over "Ee-lie" or "Ee-lay" or any of the other possible variants. "Ellie" is close enough. (It's better than when folks treat Å and A as the same letter and pronounce Håkan as "Hakan", at least.)

* To be clear, I don't mean to imply that English speakers are less intelligent or anything. Just that, in my experience, the Scandinavian languages seem like they're difficult to learn to pronounce for Anglophones.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:57 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Jameron wrote:

Personally speaking, I don't expect non-Swedes to get the pronunciations of the names exactly right.* If I have to pick, I vastly prefer them using "Ellie" over "Ee-lie" or "Ee-lay" or any of the other possible variants. "Ellie" is close enough. (It's better than when folks treat Å and A as the same letter and pronounce Håkan as "Hakan", at least.)

* To be clear, I don't mean to imply that English speakers are less intelligent or anything. Just that, in my experience, the Scandinavian languages seem like they're difficult to learn to pronounce for Anglophones.
Håkan I can forgive, because as far as I can remember it's never spoken in the film.

With both languages being Germanic there shouldn't be any difficulty in creating the same sounds that are used in Swedish. You're right it's not an intelligence issue, it is more of just not knowing how å should be pronounced. As a native English speaker, diacritics (accents) are always a problem when learning a new language because there just aren't any in English, and it is a completely foreign (pun intended) concept to us. The same goes for words having genders ie le chien, la chat. For instance, it's been a few years since I studied French in school and to this day I still get the grave and acute diacritics wrong whenever I risk writing a French phrase that contains them.

Having accepted the mitigation above, we cannot ignore that they speak Eli's name in the film. In short, there is no excuse as far as I'm concerned for someone who professes to love the film to openly mispronounce one of the lead character's names. It might be petty on my part, but it is what it is.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

intrige

Re: Vampires from Let the right one in

Post by intrige » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm

Agreed, the nordic languidges has tones that are hard for others to master. Heck it can sometimes be hard for us, as swedes and norwegians have many dialects where the tone in a simple name like "Eli" would be altered slightly.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

JToede

Post by JToede » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:20 am

Jameron wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:57 am
Siggdalos wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Jameron wrote:

Håkan I can forgive, because as far as I can remember it's never spoken in the film.

With both languages being Germanic there shouldn't be any difficulty in creating the same sounds that are used in Swedish. You're right it's not an intelligence issue, it is more of just not knowing how å should be pronounced. As a native English speaker, diacritics (accents) are always a problem when learning a new language because there just aren't any in English, and it is a completely foreign (pun intended) concept to us. The same goes for words having genders ie le chien, la chat. For instance, it's been a few years since I studied French in school and to this day I still get the grave and acute diacritics wrong whenever I risk writing a French phrase that contains them.

Having accepted the mitigation above, we cannot ignore that they speak Eli's name in the film. In short, there is no excuse as far as I'm concerned for someone who professes to love the film to openly mispronounce one of the lead character's names. It might be petty on my part, but it is what it is.
I have problems speaking English and Spanish. I understand how somebody can be picky about pronunciation, using Oscar instead of Oskar, Elle instead of Eli. It make me cringe when people mispronounce Buenos Aires as Buanos Air-es .
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am

I am sometimes amused when people ask me how to pronounce words like "bœuf" - when they can't say the same way I do, I'll generally wind up explaining that "buff" and "bœuf" different things and that the reason they can't reproduce the sound is that it doesn't occur in English. They hear it, but they don't "hear" it, and some retraining would be involved if they wanted to render it faithfully. They have the same difficulty with the German word "ueber" - most of the time, they'll just render it as "eeber" and call it a day.

If there's anybody reading who speaks both German and Swedish, using German language phonetics, how would "Eli" be pronounced in Swedish? I'm predominantly an English speaker, and have very bad hearing to frustrate things. What I hear when Eli pronounces her name is "Eelee" (English language phonetics), although in my head her name is "Eh lee", where "eh" is very much like "ay" but without dipthong from 'eh' to 'ee' in that first syllable, and the 'l' in her name sounds (for me) like the speaker is trying to say both 'l' and 'r' at the same time (a French 'l', in other words).

By the way, it's "le chien" and "le chat", in French. Their feminine forms are "la chienne" and "la chatte", and (amusingly enough) have to be used with care because both have alternative meanings on the street, the former actually being properly translated as "b**ch" and the latter very often used to refer to an anatomical feature women have and men don't.

Meow!
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:07 pm

sauvin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am
If there's anybody reading who speaks both German and Swedish, using German language phonetics, how would "Eli" be pronounced in Swedish? I'm predominantly an English speaker, and have very bad hearing to frustrate things. What I hear when Eli pronounces her name is "Eelee" (English language phonetics), although in my head her name is "Eh lee", where "eh" is very much like "ay" but without dipthong from 'eh' to 'ee' in that first syllable, and the 'l' in her name sounds (for me) like the speaker is trying to say both 'l' and 'r' at the same time (a French 'l', in other words).
I don't speak German, but in the International Phonetic Alphabet I believe the Swedish pronunciation would be written as /e:li/. I don't know the IPA by heart, but I think I got that right based on the English Wiktionary's Swedish pronunciation guide--see the pronunciation for /e/ and /i/ in the Vowels section.
I definitely wouldn't transcribe the name as "Eelee", since that'd imply that the name's first and second vowel are the same sound, whereas to my ears they are distinctly different (though similar).
Last edited by Siggdalos on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:25 pm

sauvin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am
By the way, it's "le chien" and "le chat", in French.
Ha, and there we have a perfect example of how words having genders is just not intuitive in English. I honestly thought I was correct and didn't look it up, but accidentally proved my own point. Lol.

Return to “Fan Media”