The boy on the cover

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Siggdalos

The boy on the cover

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:09 pm

The novel's cover art has been discussed on this forum a few times, but I didn't feel like resurrecting an old thread, so...

Today John was interviewed about The Kindness in SVT's Kulturnyheterna (culture news). The interviewer, Simon Sarnecki, just so happens to be the person featured on the original Swedish cover for LTROI. My translation of the post on John's website:
"Here's me and Simon from SVT's Kulturnyheterna outside the Norrtälje library. It airs this evening, but that's not the remarkable thing. It's Simon who's seen on the original cover to "Let the Right One In"! And not just that. It was his several years older sister who took the photograph and it's *her* son who's the boy on the original cover to "Handling the Undead"! In my little world: Epic."
- John Ajvide Lindqvist

The original cover, for reference:

(On a related note, I'm currently about 100 pages into The Kindness's 700 pages and I'll probably post a short review of it here when I'm done.)

Edited 2021-02-02: Replaced defunct video link to the interview with a permanent article link.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jameron

Re: The boy on the cover

Post by Jameron » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 pm

Nice, thanks for letting us know.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:13 am

Never would have imagined that. Such an eerie photograph.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:13 am
Such an eerie photograph.
Agreed. I like most of Alexander Jansson's covers, but I think his LTROI cover (the one the book has been sold with in Sweden since 2015) is a pretty big downgrade compared to the original.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:52 am

Siggdalos wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:13 am
Such an eerie photograph.
Agreed. I like most of Alexander Jansson's covers, but I think his LTROI cover (the one the book has been sold with in Sweden since 2015) is a pretty big downgrade compared to the original.
I wonder who did the cover of the mysterious person running with a splash of red in it?

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:52 am
I wonder who did the cover of the mysterious person running with a splash of red in it?
On the inside of Quercus edition dust jacket it says
Design and digital collage by Chong
Jacket image © Getty
Very informative, no? :lol:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:52 am
On the inside of Quercus edition dust jacket it says
Design and digital collage by Chong
Jacket image © Getty
Very informative, no? :lol:
Errr...no. :lol:

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”