Zombie Håkan

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
drakkar

Re: Zombie Håkan

Post by drakkar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 pm

johnajvide wrote:... the question of balance is also very important to me. A satisfactory reading experience should end with a feeling that everything in the book that you are now putting aside has been balanced out.
(Of course you can also strive for an unbalanced ending, with questions unanswered and narrative threads hanging loose. I did this on purpose in Handling the undead, and maybe it wasn´t such a wise decision.)
Even if it's off topic, I can't resist commenting on that.

My experience when reading Handling The Undead was that the end, with its unanswered questions and loose narrative threads, in a way were backfiring on the story.
So because of this, I ended up slightly confused, and I also felt a slight lack of focus and "body" in it. As if something was missing.
Luckily I had the epilogue Sluthanteringen - Final Handling at hand, which is more tightened up and focused towards the end (on purpose?). That relieved me with a fundament for the whole story, and it also added depth to it.

Just my to øre.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Ditto to what drakkar said. (I used up all my big words when I invented this one, "Supernaturalanium" in another thread.) ;)
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

TheVoxHumanus

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm

oh hey, I just found this thread. :)

It makes me feel better about the rape scene to know that John had trouble writing it and no joy was had in torturing Eli like that (I never REALLY thought John took any joy in it, but...you never know). I can appreciate the artistry involved in driving such a horrible point home too -- Eli's past victimizations are alluded to earlier in the book and described vaguely enough that the reader fills in their own details about the specific horrors involved, but it's all thrown into sharp relief during the Zombie rape scene. Skillfully done, fun to read.

I certainly had trouble reading it (in a good way -- it is a horror novel, after all), and sped through that part of the book as quickly as I could and skipped it altogether when re-reading.

It's still a bit puzzling to me why Eli doesn't seem to suffer any emotional effects from this experience...is he just so used to being treated this way that it's "normal" to him? If so, that's pretty much the most horrible thing I can think of. Being numb to horrible abuse is a kind of suffering I don't like thinking about. Realizing that Eli has long since resigned himself to a very long life of suffering I can only begin to imagine -- and then for him to find respite in Oskar's love and friendship is an honestly revelatory and more joyous thing than I'd previously imagined.

I never thought Eli was stupid or unaware, but I thought maybe his age might've saved him from the capacity to fully comprehend just what he was in for in his life. IF Eli had resigned to an eternity of abject suffering at the behest of both his condition and of people who'd do horrible things to him and was fully aware of everything that meant, then his capacity to choose love in spite of all of this is a very, very powerful message.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:08 pm

TheVoxHumanus wrote:Realizing that Eli has long since resigned himself to a very long life of suffering I can only begin to imagine -- and then for him to find respite in Oskar's love and friendship is an honestly revelatory and more joyous thing than I'd previously imagined. . . . IF Eli had resigned to an eternity of abject suffering at the behest of both his condition and of people who'd do horrible things to him and was fully aware of everything that meant, then his capacity to choose love in spite of all of this is a very, very powerful message.
QFT.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

TheVoxHumanus wrote:It's still a bit puzzling to me why Eli doesn't seem to suffer any emotional effects from this experience...is he just so used to being treated this way that it's "normal" to him? If so, that's pretty much the most horrible thing I can think of. Being numb to horrible abuse is a kind of suffering I don't like thinking about. Realizing that Eli has long since resigned himself to a very long life of suffering I can only begin to imagine -- and then for him to find respite in Oskar's love and friendship is an honestly revelatory and more joyous thing than I'd previously imagined
Just from the top of my head, I think I recall a similar behaviour from Oskar towards the end of the book, in that he had a far more indifferent attitude towards his tormentors.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

InYourFaceNewYorker

Post by InYourFaceNewYorker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 am

I just read Let the Right One In. Something I'm not clear on-- Why didn't Håkan after falling out the window and yet Eli was able to kill his other victims? It sounds like there are very specific ways to kill a vampire but Eli was able to kill his other victims in "conventional" ways.

Julie

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 am

Welcome :)
In short: In LtROI the vampirism is described as some kind of decease/parasite possessing it's own brain. Eli broke his victims necks to prevent the decease to reach the nervous system, but Eli was disturbed with Håkan, and his neck didn't break in the fall, hence he became a zombie vampire.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

God of Vampires

Post by God of Vampires » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for your comment JAL :D . I am all for making the readers siding with Eli. Myself however, I had already have sided with Eli long before I read the book thanks to Lina's wonderful acting. I cannot thank you enough for creating my favorite fictional character, only a genius can come up with a character like Eli, I wonder how you did it :think: .
"I think Eli, just as me, is a fan of multicoloured equines. You need this to get through an eternity of bloodshed."
_God of Vampires/Prince Darkmoon, Proud infected, proud brony.

TigerEyes

Post by TigerEyes » Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 pm

TheVoxHumanus wrote:oh hey, I just found this thread. :)

It makes me feel better about the rape scene to know that John had trouble writing it and no joy was had in torturing Eli like that (I never REALLY thought John took any joy in it, but...you never know).
I agree and i'm very glad John admits this. It makes me feel better knowing that it wasn't easy for him. It would never be easy for me. If i tried to write the rape scene or the castration, it would destroy me. I'm very empathetic, it makes it too difficult for me to do it. I may do sadistic stuff, but never anything below the belt. ;)
I can appreciate the artistry involved in driving such a horrible point home too -- Eli's past victimizations are alluded to earlier in the book and described vaguely enough that the reader fills in their own details about the specific horrors involved, but it's all thrown into sharp relief during the Zombie rape scene. Skillfully done, fun to read.

I certainly had trouble reading it (in a good way -- it is a horror novel, after all), and sped through that part of the book as quickly as I could and skipped it altogether when re-reading.

It's still a bit puzzling to me why Eli doesn't seem to suffer any emotional effects from this experience...is he just so used to being treated this way that it's "normal" to him?
In my opinion, i think Elias had had worse for 200 years of living. He probably thinks, "This isn't anything new to me."
If so, that's pretty much the most horrible thing I can think of. Being numb to horrible abuse is a kind of suffering I don't like thinking about. Realizing that Eli has long since resigned himself to a very long life of suffering I can only begin to imagine -- and then for him to find respite in Oskar's love and friendship is an honestly revelatory and more joyous thing than I'd previously imagined.
Same feeling here. I think of their relationship as a new, bright life for them and that Elias would no longer suffer anymore.
I never thought Eli was stupid or unaware, but I thought maybe his age might've saved him from the capacity to fully comprehend just what he was in for in his life.
For a twelve year old, they don't focus on one horrible thing as deep as adults do. But i can be wrong. Maybe for what Elias went through for so long, it doesn't effect him anymore. I suppose that if you've been living for two hundred years of pain, loneliness, horrible things being done to you, you might not feel the effect as you had at the beginning. Like a sharp knife becoming dull.
IF Eli had resigned to an eternity of abject suffering at the behest of both his condition and of people who'd do horrible things to him and was fully aware of everything that meant, then his capacity to choose love in spite of all of this is a very, very powerful message.
Well i am not sure if he resigned to an eternity of pain, but might have felt like there was no hope for him, until he met Oskar. It is a powerful message indeed.

I would also like to say that i very much would never want to know what John originally wrote on that scene. (Shudder)
Run, and you might live.
Stay, and you might die.
However, nothing is certain.

Come visit my blog where i write stuff of Vampires, including Let the right one in, http://godlessvampire.blogspot.com/

ofelia

Post by ofelia » Tue May 10, 2011 7:32 pm

TheVoxHumanus wrote:It's still a bit puzzling to me why Eli doesn't seem to suffer any emotional effects from this experience...is he just so used to being treated this way that it's "normal" to him? If so, that's pretty much the most horrible thing I can think of. Being numb to horrible abuse is a kind of suffering I don't like thinking about. Realizing that Eli has long since resigned himself to a very long life of suffering I can only begin to imagine -- and then for him to find respite in Oskar's love and friendship is an honestly revelatory and more joyous thing than I'd previously imagined
I didn't get that impression... When Eli crawls into the bathtub he thinks "I will never be whole again". I took that to refer to what Hakan did as well as the effects of the sunlight. It seemed like he was emotionally affected, but maybe not as much as someone who hadn't gone through whatever else he's gone through.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”