20th Anniversary Edition

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
Siggdalos

20th Anniversary Edition

Post by Siggdalos » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:14 pm

Let the Right One In celebrates 20 years!
In 2004, John Ajvide Lindqvist's debut novel Let the Right One In was released. Even if the publisher loved the book, none could've expected how much attention it and John Ajvide Lindqvist would come to receive.

20 years later, Let the Right One In is a modern classic. It has been sold in almost half a million copies, been translated to more than 30 languages, adapted into both Swedish and American acclaimed films (Tomas Alfredson's adaptation is the third most watched Swedish film in the United States!), been adapted as a theater play in a long list of countries and been the subject of essays in literature studies.

John Ajvide Lindqvist is now held to be the foremost horror author in the Nordic countries and has released another eleven acclaimed novels, including the crime novels Blodstormen 1: Skriften i vattnet and Blodstormen 2: Rummet i jorden, as well as several short story collections. He has over the years become the favorite author of many, including Stephen King.

On May 1, 2024, Let the Right One In and thereby also John Ajvide Lindqvist's authorship turn 20 years. We will be celebrating this in a variety of different ways, not the least of which is publishing this jampacked anniversary edition of Let the Right One In. In addition to the original text, it also contains the short stories Let the Old Dreams Die and What Kept You So Long? which are both sequels to the book, the screenplay for Tomas Alfredson's Swedish film adaptation as well as a newly-written afterword by John. The cover art is made by the internationally recognized horror cover artist Vincent Chong.

"Never could I have expected ..."
- John Ajvide Lindqvist, from the afterword of the anniversary edition.
Last edited by Siggdalos on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberGhostface

Re: 20th Anniversary Edition announced

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:52 pm

Beautiful cover. I’d love for there to be an English release but not holding my breath.
No banaaaanas?

intrige

Post by intrige » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:07 pm

That is an amazing cover oh my god :D So beautiful! :wub:
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:06 pm

What a images! Kudos to artist Vincent Chong.

For as much as I love Kåre and Lina, and with their images of them at that age forever burned into my head as Oskar and Eli, it is terrific to have such a new and striking image of an androgynous Eli and of a fresh view of Oskar.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:10 pm

@Siggdalos , thanks for spotting this and posting it. When it becomes available, let us know! I foresee a coming picture of you holding a volume of it in your hands. 8-)

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:32 am

Love it. Brrrr!!
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 am

I like the all-red Rubik's Cube and the overall composition and mood, but I'm less keen on Eli's appearance. Think his face looks a bit too grown-up, if that makes sense. The original Swedish cover still reigns supreme IMO.
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:10 pm
When it becomes available, let us know! I foresee a coming picture of you holding a volume of it in your hands. 8-)
No guarantees, but the screenplay (deleted scene deets?) and that new afterword do pique my interest, and my well-thumbed paperback copy is in pretty bad shape at this point. :think:
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Jedi Apprentice

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:25 pm

Man, what an amazing cover! It's pretty cool to see Oskar and Eli with a new look! All of this makes me wish that the book will one day get its own graphic novel adaptation! I DESPERATELY need something to cure myself after the horrible Showtime tv """""""""adaptation"""""""""

Jedi Apprentice

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:09 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:52 pm
Beautiful cover. I’d love for there to be an English release but not holding my breath.
You english people will probably have an english edition, but as a spaniard, any hope I have to see this edition in my country is absolute zero. Literaly, only three JAL books have been translated in spanish. I had to read LTODD in english. I hate my country :cry:

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:25 pm

And here's the raw cover art, from Vincent Chong's Instagram.
@vincentchongart wrote:I was really thrilled last year to be asked by @ordfrontforlag to do the cover for the special 20th anniversary edition of the classic horror novel LET THE RIGHT ONE IN by @johnajvidelindqvist, which has inspired two movie adaptations. It was especially fun to get to work with John himself directly, throwing ideas around and bringing John's vision of Eli and Oskar to life.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”