Seasons greeting no.5

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
johnajvide

Seasons greeting no.5

Post by johnajvide » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:57 am

Hi, you all

And once again, as christmas draws closer, I sit down to write to you. It´s a nice little tradition.
Saw just now that you have this book club thing going. I read through the posts and as usual with your discussions, I understood some new things about that old book.
Actually I just finished a new vampire story a few days ago. I was asked to write one for an american anthology and I declined, as I always do. But then I had a great idea, so I de-declined and wrote the thing in a few days. It´s called "What kept you so long?" and is about a truck driver. That´s all I can divulge for now. If I ever decide to write a final one, I´ll have to call it "Until my mouth dries", then I think I´m out of usable lines from the song.
I finished Himmelstrand about a month ago. I envisioned it to be a really massive book, but it ended up being about the same length as Little Star, which is still sizeable. I will let it rest until the beginning of january, when I will start editing, to publish autumn 2014. It´s quite a strange story, where the concept of The White Ones is introduced, probably to be used again in the next book. The general idea of the book can be described with a slightly revised quote from swedish singer Lars Winnerbäck: "Du måste ut för att hitta in", roughly: "You got to go out to find your way in". As the people who have been transported to the seemingly endless field start to move out towards the horizon, they encounter their innermosts fears and desires, in the shape of The White Ones. It´s about what happens to a group of people when the things they didn´t even know that they desired or feared, take shape.
Right now I´m researching for the next novel, about the murder of Olof Palme. Reading about the man, the murder and the area where it happened. This area has importance in Himmestrand too. I lived there myself for two years in my youth. It might be that Himmelstrand will be called "I am behind you" in english, and the one about Palme "I always find you". Might have told you this before. Alternative titles for the two books are "Devoid" and "The Void". Oh, well. Now I just have to write it. Might take some time. As with Himmelstrand I don´t really know what it´s about, yet.
Otherwise, I´m playing Diablo 3 with my wife. A little bit too easy, even on Hard, but we´re playing in Hardcore mode, which means that when you die, you die. Everything is lost. This certainly keeps you on your toes. Watching Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad, reading Morrisseys Autobiography (man, he knows a lot of words!)
So, once again, the best of christmases to all of you! May your wishes come true and love light up you life.
John

Crow-453

Re: Seasons greeting no.5

Post by Crow-453 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Though I am not exactly an active member here and more pop in when I'm able to, I can say with certainty that it's always such a treat whenever you post, sir!
johnajvide wrote:Actually I just finished a new vampire story a few days ago. I was asked to write one for an american anthology and I declined, as I always do. But then I had a great idea, so I de-declined and wrote the thing in a few days. It´s called "What kept you so long?" and is about a truck driver. That´s all I can divulge for now. If I ever decide to write a final one, I´ll have to call it "Until my mouth dries", then I think I´m out of usable lines from the song.
I'll admit, when I read this, I may have disturbed the neighbours with the sound of sheer joy that escaped from me. Best Christmas present ever or BEST Christmas present ever?

Himmelstrand also sounds very interesting, and I can't wait to read it either! Boy, my "To Read" list is never gonna get any smaller!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:12 pm

johnajvide wrote:Hi, you all
The general idea of the book can be described with a slightly revised quote from swedish singer Lars Winnerbäck: "Du måste ut för att hitta in", roughly: "You got to go out to find your way in". As the people who have been transported to the seemingly endless field start to move out towards the horizon, they encounter their innermosts fears and desires, in the shape of The White Ones. It´s about what happens to a group of people when the things they didn´t even know that they desired or feared, take shape.

Sounds a fair bit like Silent Hill though I've only finished the first two games it seems like most of the characters suppress their fears or aren't sure about them when they're in the town to begin with. Generally their desires or fears are reflected in the monsters and environments and the town seems to go on forever even when running, I know that with each game it is basically expanded more and more. I'm guessing that What Kept You So Long? is a short story, either way I am really looking forward to all three stories I think you have said before that those two are linked in a sense. :)
Watching Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad, reading Morrisseys Autobiography (man, he knows a lot of words!)
So, once again, the best of christmases to all of you! May your wishes come true and love light up you life.
John
I finished BB recently, the ending disappointed me a tad but it was still satisfying, I just thought it was going to finish up differently. I've had Moz's book since it came out here but I've barely read 30 pages, I've been so slack with reading lately. Cheers John, I hope you have a lovely Christmas with your family & friends!

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:48 pm

johnajvide wrote:[...]
It might be that Himmelstrand will be called "I am behind you" in english, and the one about Palme "I always find you". Might have told you this before. [...]
Maybe you did, I seem to remember supplying this clip once before in this context:
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the annual update! I look forward to reading all of your new works, and am hopeful that the "virtual book club" will progress to your subsequent novels and short stories after we finish the "old book." :D

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:57 am

metoo wrote:
johnajvide wrote:[...]
It might be that Himmelstrand will be called "I am behind you" in english, and the one about Palme "I always find you". Might have told you this before. [...]
Maybe you did, I seem to remember supplying this clip once before in this context:
I definitely do remember this, I think it might have been in The Last of Us thread.
johnajvide wrote: Actually I just finished a new vampire story a few days ago. I was asked to write one for an american anthology and I declined, as I always do. But then I had a great idea, so I de-declined and wrote the thing in a few days. It´s called "What kept you so long?" and is about a truck driver. That´s all I can divulge for now. If I ever decide to write a final one, I´ll have to call it "Until my mouth dries", then I think I´m out of usable lines from the song.
I can imagine "Let the Wrong Ones Go" working too.

cr33d1sh

Post by cr33d1sh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 am

Thank you for Greetings

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Buon Natale e Felice anno nuovo.

Mirko

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the update and greetings! Same to you and yours! ..Then it's Christmas - Skål!

Looking forward to Himmelstrand, and that book with Olof Palme really intriges me. (Intrige, did you see what I just did? :mrgreen: )
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

EEA

Post by EEA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Cool. :) Thanks for the news.
Happy Holidays to you too. :mrgreen:

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:24 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

I'll look forward to reading Himmelstrand, when it shows up on my shores.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”