We wrote an album inspired by the novel

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Låt den rätte komma in
travelbystars

We wrote an album inspired by the novel

Post by travelbystars » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Hey! We thought this would be a fun place to share our most recent album as most of the songs on it were, in some way or another, inspired by Let the Right One In (both the book and the 2008 Swedish film of the same name). Not everything on our album is an exact correlation to the themes in the book since there were aspects pulled from our lives as well. Let the Right One In was just a huge source of inspiration.

I am a huge fan of all John Ajvide Lindqvist’s writings and consider LTROI to be the most beautiful piece of literature I have ever read.

Our band is Travel By Stars and the album is titled For Ellie if anyone wants to check it out.
Some of the more influenced songs include
Seen With Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYJikcRkZk
Holding On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr3lMNk7Qfw
My Blood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hED4xhdDGaQ
Snow, Melting Against Skin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZ2wbe ... ex=13&t=0s
But there are slight references in some of the others as well. Those are all YouTube links but the album is on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1VPfFQkfpDiZcRy1iziSyM as well!

We definitely understand our music isn’t for everyone but maybe there’s something on the album that you’ll enjoy!

gkmoberg1

Re: We wrote an album inspired by the novel

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:53 am

Wellll... you've put a lot into these songs. And I love the non-standard construction.

We've had several musicians here across the years - welcome aboard.

I have to point out this one as it's got a great flow. And what a video!

be-me-a-little

Post by be-me-a-little » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 am

Your songs are beautiful! I had great pleasure listening to them! A wonderful tribute to the wonderful story that we all adore!
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:49 pm

@travelbystars , could you copy/paste the lyrics for Seen With Love ? (I suspect you have a copy... 8-) )

travelbystars

Post by travelbystars » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Thank you so much @be-me-a-little for the very kind words! We're so happy you enjoyed it!

travelbystars

Post by travelbystars » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:22 pm

@gkmoberg , we appreciate you delving into our old album as well! Thanks for the welcome! We're really excited to have found this forum!

Here are the lyrics you requested:

Seen With Love

May I come in?
Oh won’t you let me in?
Let me show you the right way to sin
Welcome me through your door
Touch me, trust me, hold me close
Let me be your regular dose
Let me be your fix

I could be your angel

Breathe me in, let me fill your lungs
Traverse your lips and tongue
See yourself cast where I’m from
Seen with love

Harbor me inside your heart
Share your blood, let innocence depart
It only stings a little
Please just say I can come in
Together we’ll shed this old skin
and swim in youth, we’ll be divine

I could be your angel

Breathe me in, let me fill your lungs
Traverse your lips and tongue
See yourself cast where I’m from
Seen with love

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:24 am

Thank you for the lyrics! :D
travelbystars wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:22 pm
Seen With Love

May I come in?
Oh won’t you let me in?
Let me show you the right way to sin
Welcome me through your door
Touch me, trust me, hold me close
Let me be your regular dose
Let me be your fix

The inspiration is there to see.

I like the line "Welcome me through your door". Doors are such a great tool to use in metaphor of the novel & film's message. The use of doors throughout the story is very clever - whether we're talking about the novel or the movie. Doors, whether you are allowed through them or not, and who is or is not allowing you through, is key. Take for example Oskar's arrival back in Blackeberg after running away form his father; he sits on the stairs in front of the door to Eli's flat, afraid to knock. And that leads to the entire scene of the doorway and then their mutual uneasiness after Eli opens the door and lets him in. Or, the comparable scene from the movie where Eli lets him in but then shuts the interior glass door... There are so many examples; it just goes on and on. Think about it next time you flip through the novel. Anyway, great line.

A question for you... how does the creation of these songs happen for you? Is one of you, say, more the lyricist and the other the music composer?

intrige

Post by intrige » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:02 am

I have now listened to all the songs and they are amazing, well made, well sung, well written! LTROI inspired music is something I have come a cross a few times, even tried it myself back in the day. But I could say with certainty that yours are some of the best I have heard so far, without a doubt. Kudos to you, and your band. You all did a great job! It makes we wanna try it again! And that say alot :D

Great music, in a great forum :D
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

travelbystars

Post by travelbystars » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm

@gkmoberg1 Very well put! I do love how big of a theme this is in the story. Letting someone in or asking to be let in is incredibly scary (unless you have ulterior motives). Putting yourself in a vulnerable position is one of the hardest things to do, no matter how long you've been around, but every once in awhile it can lead to something amazing. Finding that person you can open up (your door) to and receive understanding and love and the same vulnerability in return is special. I believe that's what Eli and Oskar were searching for and ultimately found in each other. I'm happy you were able to see some of that reflected in what we wrote!

As far as the writing on the album is concerned, Chris composed all of the music and wrote all of the lyrics (besides the second verse in "My Blood" which was written by Kelli). A big portion of the writing for this album was done before Kelli joined the band so we're excited to move into the next phase of this project as Kelli will be able to lend her talents to everything a whole lot more!

And you're very welcome for the lyrics! I was incredibly flattered you asked for them =)

travelbystars

Post by travelbystars » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 pm

@intrige That's so nice of you to say! Thank you so much for listening to our album and we're very happy you enjoyed it! That's all we could ever ask for! We'd love to hear some of your music as well if you'd like to share! Especially if some of it was also inspired by the beautiful story of Let the Right One In.

Great people, in a great forum! =)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Novel)”