BORDER WINS FIRST PRIZE IN IT'S CATEGORY

For discussion of Ali Abbasi's film Gräns
Nightrider

BORDER WINS FIRST PRIZE IN IT'S CATEGORY

Post by Nightrider » Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 pm

BORDER wins first prize in it's category!
Congratulations to everyone involved with the film, especially John Ajvide Lindqvist without whom the whole project would have been impossible.

https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/fest ... 018-prizes

http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Opeth

Re: BORDER WINS FIRST PRIZE IN IT'S CATEGORY

Post by Opeth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 am

Fantastic news, I haven't seen any clips of this yet! It was definitely my favourite short story of John's.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:38 am

Opeth wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 am
Fantastic news, I haven't seen any clips of this yet! It was definitely my favourite short story of John's.
It was my favorite as well - save one. I'm glad that it is getting this kind of recognition. The more critical acclaim it receives, the more likely that it will be shown at a cinema near you (and me).
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 am

Just saw this last night.
It was probably the most beautiful, heartbreaking and moving film I have seen in a very long time.
Great acting from the small, talented cast, especially Eva Melander(Tina) who completely vanishes beneath heavy appliance make-up and yet still able to transmit full set of real, poignant emotions.
Director Ali Abbasi uses naturalistic way of using the camera. There's no showy, artistic moves. Lens just watches and records amazing sites unfolding before it and that seems to be enough.
Everyone here should see BORDER. As soon as you can.
It's that good.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm

I have to find & see this.

Should we create a sub forum under FILM TOPICS?

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:53 am

I've been talking with a buddy who saw this last night in Texas at a pre-release screening. I am pretty sure he had not read the original story but didn't think to ask. He was very impressed by the feature's story, acting and EFX inclusons. Yet he cautions this is not a film for everybody - and went to list out elements of the film that might be way over the limit for some. On the other hand, he said he definitely recommends that I go see it - supposing I'd be okay with content.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 pm

"Border" was the star in my LTODD collection of short stories. I'm all about remnants of the lost ages showing up now--trolls, giants, wee folk.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 am

Yeah, I liked it too. I'll keep my eyes open for showings in my area. It's bound to get here sooner rather than later, I suspect.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

be-me-a-little

Post by be-me-a-little » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:40 am

So glad that this film is a topic on here! I have been so curious as to what others think of this film.

When I first read Border it affected me emotionally almost as much as LTROI did when I first read it, so I was beyond excited when I found out they were making it into a film.

I saw it last Friday and have seen it 4 times since, I think it holds true to the beauty of Lindqvist's story, even with the added elements. I don't want to spoil anything on here for anyone who hasn't seen the film yet, so I will leave it at that for now. (: I am so happy to see another Lindqvist film in theaters! Going to the cinema to see it several times this past weekend has been a source of comfort for me. Its bringing back the nostalgia of when I first discovered LTROI. :wub:
So glad it won at Cannes and I'm hoping for a best Foreign Oscar nomination and hopefully a win!

I would love to hear what some of you think about this film if you have seen it (:
perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:14 am

be-me-a-little wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:40 am
So glad that this film is a topic on here! I have been so curious as to what others think of this film.
I still haven't managed to see it yet. :evil:
When I first read Border it affected me emotionally almost as much as LTROI did when I first read it, so I was beyond excited when I found out they were making it into a film.

I saw it last Friday and have seen it 4 times since, I think it holds true to the beauty of Lindqvist's story, even with the added elements. I don't want to spoil anything on here for anyone who hasn't seen the film yet, so I will leave it at that for now.
There is a spoiler that you can use to hide spoilers except for those who want to see them. It hides text until you mouse over it, like this Boo! :mrgreen: . When you are editing your post, you will see a button the top that says "Spoiler". In this way people can have discussions about spoilers without spoiling anything except for the willing.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “Border”