Interesting review from transpeople's perspective

Links to interviews, trailers and other media
intrige

Interesting review from transpeople's perspective

Post by intrige » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 pm

On some points I do agree, on others I disagree. But they really did their research and also, some of the stuff at the very end is damn near perfection and is filled with poetic philosofy along witg the oh so beauiful pool scene.
A must watch for sure.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

dongregg

Re: Interesting review from transpeople's perspective

Post by dongregg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am

Film critters! Well worth watching to the end. Thanks, Trige!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

intrige

Post by intrige » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 am

Any time :)

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:47 am

great video. The most glaring thing that I disagree with was how they completely gloss over the fact that Eli was castrated against his will and in the book explicitly identifies as "nothing."

Other than that though, I enjoyed it. This film really is a reflection of its viewers.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Elitheeternal

Post by Elitheeternal » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Eli is both a monster and an angel :roll:

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 am

cmfireflies wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:47 am
great video. The most glaring thing that I disagree with was how they completely gloss over the fact that Eli was castrated against his will and in the book explicitly identifies as "nothing."

Other than that though, I enjoyed it. This film really is a reflection of its viewers.
Me too but I get where they are coming from. So I don't mind. Sometimes, people, myself included, need to put their own image into a fictional character. That in itself is a good thing, no matter if it is Eli or someone else.

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:48 am

Not my favourite review, but I didn't get anything of what this guys tried to say, so it's my fault.
But it seems, after many reviews dealing more "deeply" with "gender and transgender issues" (all of them called LTROI/JAL/Eli as "transphobic" or "bigot" or "ignorant" somehow, since it doesn't fit in the queer? roles either), it's clear that Eli is a problematic character also for liberal/progressive people, not just the conservatives "simpletons" isn't it? he/she can't be labeled, or he/she can't fit even in LGBT tags, apparently.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 am

Gender aside, Eli and Oskar are victims. Unconditional love brings out the best in each of them. This has little to do with the world outside of them, although Oskar wonders about gender as he seeks advice about his relationship with Eli. He wants to form a pact with Eli, but even after that goes wrong in the basement, both children continue to circle the gravity--the starts and stops--of falling in love.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jedi Apprentice

Post by Jedi Apprentice » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 am

Pissball wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:48 am
Not my favourite review, but I didn't get anything of what this guys tried to say, so it's my fault.
But it seems, after many reviews dealing more "deeply" with "gender and transgender issues" (all of them called LTROI/JAL/Eli as "transphobic" or "bigot" or "ignorant" somehow, since it doesn't fit in the queer? roles either), it's clear that Eli is a problematic character also for liberal/progressive people, not just the conservatives "simpletons" isn't it? he/she can't be labeled, or he/she can't fit even in LGBT tags, apparently.
I really hate how those "fans" (they don't even deserve that title because of the way they treat the author) insult JAL for "not knowing how to represent trans characters", when he never used Eli as a "trans representation". I find it hard to believe that these people have even read the book.
By the way, I have never seen a criticism of Eli's alleged "trans representation" made from a conservative point of view. As a conservative person who considers the book one of the best fiction stories ever made, I would like you to inform me of any baseless criticism of JAL made by the conservative side.

Return to “Media”