Comic book - The sequel

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

Jiang_Shi

Re: Comic book - The sequel

Post by Jiang_Shi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm

danielma wrote:Damn net here at work and not letting me access to read it...

So its gonna be a four parter...that's interesting. Here is a question for everyone here, will you actually read these when they come out?

As I've stated before, I do think it sucks that they couldn't be bothered to contact JAL about it, or to even inform JAL that this was happening...on that level yes it indeed sucks.

But to play devils advocate, I'm kind of morbidly curious to read them when they come out. I'm kind of morbidly curious to see what the story will be in this 4 parter. So am I alone? Are any of you going to eventually read them?
I will read it, I'm pretty interested in graphic novels and their presentation. I'll withhold my judgment of it until I actually get through the first volume. My hope is that it isn't just following the popular crowd and jumping on the movie graphic novel bandwagon. I definitely agree about them jumping to a comic idea without even telling the original author, that's just bad form. That whole mess just makes me mad and very reluctant to give the comic support.

I think the four parts will probably cover a prequel, rendition of what is in the movie, and sequel(s). At least that was what was hinted early on?
"You can suck out the blood but you can't kill the heart of my love." --- Pink Mountaintops

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:56 pm

aka "PFF"...?

Barb

Post by Barb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 am

It grieves me to see how things have progressed. In Sweden, JAL did the script for LTROI. He and TA discussed every last scene of the shooting script for hours on end. The care put into the film shows in every frame. One of the reasons I became a JAL fan was because I was intrigued that an author got to work on his own film adaptation (something that rarely happens in American films). And it's a heck of a script. So much so that if JAL would ever take it in mind to publish the 200 page original script, I'd buy it in a second. Intense consultation with the author is the amount of respect I think the man should received concerning ALL adaptations of his work. I was saddened when JAL wasn't as involved with Let Me In as he was with the original, as he knows his stuff, to say the least. At least Matt Reeves made contact with the author and expressed his respect.

Now Dark Horse has made a mini-series even further removed from the original book, not even talking to the author, let alone talking to him about doing the script. Lots of novelists have done comics. Orson Scott Card, just to name one. If JAL could do a movie script, why not a comic? What's more, Dark Horse is using the work as a propaganda piece in their "vampires can't be emo, they gotta be scary and scary only" philosophy, making one wonder if the powers that be over there have ever even read the book or seen the original film because if they had, they might have noticed that above all, the film of LTROI was a tender, compassionate emotionally intelligent LOVE story, not a conventional work of horror sans character development. The book is even less conventional, almost defying any type of categorization.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the mini-series has in common with JAL's work is that there's a kid vampire involved. The name's not the same, nor in the gender, or the background, setting or anything.

I'm not bothering with this comic. I don't begrudge anyone the right to read it, but I'M not interested at all.

I feel incredibly sorry this happened, but as others have said, it doesn't tarnish the work(s) we love and the author we so deeply respect...

waggy05

Post by waggy05 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:04 pm

I am in agreement with those of you who won't be bothering with this comic. I see no respectable reason for Dark Horse to publish this so called "prequel". JAL expressed his feelings on the matter, and they were quite obviously against the comic. As a fan, I am also against this project. But as many have already said, this graphic novel release will do nothing to harm my love for Låt den rätte komma in (novel & film), or Let Me In (I am a fan of this movie as well, for different reasons). All in all, my conclusion is to condemn the graphic novel.

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm

It's funny that the prequel is being included as an free extra with the DVD, which I am certain a lot of people won't bother to read it and will probably throw it away with the packaging. And those curious about it will save some money.

kahx

Post by kahx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:55 am

People are going to be getting the comic anyway when they get the blu ray right? Might as well read it, then post here to say that you didn't.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:37 am

Why of course, it is after all vitally necessary that everyone remains 'on-message' and toes the party line in every minute respect. :D

Cmaj7th

Post by Cmaj7th » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm not going to lie I most likely will read the comic however I find this entire situation incredibily disrespectful to JAL. It just goes to show you how over the top legal jargon is nowadays that the author of the source material would have no say in a spin-off series. Poor form.
Hit back hard, harder than you dare...

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:36 pm

The guy who managed Dire Straits, a London School of Economics graduate, once said that, in thirty years of dealing with the music/copyright industry [which he felt should be more properly regarded as a cartel than an industry] not a day had passed when he did not discover some ingenious new device for fleecing the 'creatives' of the profits derived from their efforts.

Return to “Let Me In”