First Photo of Chloe Moretz as Abby

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

SergioB97

First Photo of Chloe Moretz as Abby

Post by SergioB97 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:17 am

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted on here already, but for those of you who are curious, here is a link to the first officially released image of Chloe Moretz as Abby. From the looks of it, it appears that Reeves and company are going with a different look from the one described in the novel or seen in the original Swedish film.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/hea ... mp2095.jpg

Tom

Re: First Photo of Chloe Moretz as Abby

Post by Tom » Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 am

SergioB97 wrote:I'm surprised this hasn't been posted on here already, but for those of you who are curious, here is a link to the first officially released image of Chloe Moretz as Abby. From the looks of it, it appears that Reeves and company are going with a different look from the one described in the novel or seen in the original Swedish film.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/hea ... mp2095.jpg

Thanks for the full image, you can also take a look at some of the set photos with Matt, Owen and the bullies. 8-)

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... f=6&t=1236

TheVoxHumanus

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Sat May 08, 2010 5:19 am

I...gotta say. I'm not liking this. And this isn't just my general bias toward the project talking. And I fully admit that I am drawing WAY too many conclusions from one photo, however...I know movies. I will be pleased if I am proven wrong.

Let the Right One In had an amazing level of attention paid to the surroundings the characters lived in. I remember very clearly one of my first thoughts while watching the movie was "Geez, this place feels real. It feels like my family's old cabin in the woods with the cracked linoleum or my friend's cheap apartment downtown."

It felt horribly and stuffy and closed-in but also very homey, lived-in. Welcoming. I wanted to actually be in the world the movie made.

Now...there was a recent movie I absolutely hated. It was called The Lovely Bones. It sort of half-heartedly attempted to re-create the feeling of spaces lived-in, except it all looked far too manufactured and pretty. Even the clutter was pretty. It didn't feel like it was happening just down the street and it didn't feel like I'd just happened to be in the room while the characters were doing their thing. That's what LTROI felt like to me -- like I was an interloper to the events and not like the events were specifically being performed for my enjoyment.

I honestly can't quantify WHY I had such different reactions to the set design on either movie, but I know one "worked" and the other did not. I'm sure you can think of other examples of what I'm talking about.

My fear is that Let Me In will fall into the same category as "The Lovely Bones" as far as "look" goes. Like there will be nothing on-screen that even resembles recognizeable human behavior or surroundings. It'll feel like a play and not what LTROI is.

There's a word for this that escapes me at the moment...it's something like "having the appearance of reality". It's something that can make or break a picture for me, and unfortunately something that escapes even the most talented filmmakers some of the time -- it involves a TON of little micro-cues and I'm sure lots of "happy accidents" along the way.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:46 pm

TheVoxHumanus wrote:There's a word for this that escapes me at the moment...it's something like "having the appearance of reality".
verisimilitude?

The original also had a certain dream like quality to it for me, as well as the realism you describe.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh hey, I just noticed she has blood on her face. Dunno why it took me 6 viewings of the pic to notice it! ):<
ಠ_ಠ

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 pm

Maybe because it precisely lays just around her lips like she was using blood resistant lipstick. Not much LTROI-ish "naturalism" here...
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

Zhoutai21

Post by Zhoutai21 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Or Abby is like Oskar after the kiss. The blood quickly disappears from the lips, but somehow remains on her chin! :lol:

I seriously thought that was her hair until I saw it today. :geek:
ಠ_ಠ

Microwave Jellyfish

Post by Microwave Jellyfish » Sat May 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Zhoutai21 wrote:Or Abby is like Oskar after the kiss. The blood quickly disappears from the lips, but somehow remains on her chin! :lol:
Hm, now that you mention it, this could be the coolest subtle LTROI-reference ever. Matt Reeves is a genius! :shock:
And we danced, on the brink of an unknown future, to an echo from a vanished past.

OUTSIDER

Post by OUTSIDER » Sat May 08, 2010 10:36 pm

gattoparde59 wrote:
TheVoxHumanus wrote:There's a word for this that escapes me at the moment...it's something like "having the appearance of reality".
verisimilitude?
Great word! Need to keep a dictionary handy on this board - I Love It!

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 pm

And here's the next one!

Boom. In your face. A a carbon copy of the original LTROI scene. Now wait... Didn't Matt Reeves say this wouldn't be a remake?
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

Return to “Let Me In”