abby and owen..together forever?

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

a7xr0cker182

abby and owen..together forever?

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 am

*SPOILER*
do you guys think that abby and owen will be together forever after the events of let me in? considering the events of let the old dreams die..i think that abby and owen will be together, as do oskar and eli will since abby turns owen into a vampire, what do you guys think?

cmfireflies

Re: abby and owen..together forever?

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:10 am

interesting question. My first response is that if Abby wanted to turn anyone, she would have first turned Thomas. Since she didn't, she probably wouldn't turn Owen. But why not turn Thomas though? If he was willing to kill for Abby, he probably would have been willing to do a bit more killing to stay with Abby forever.
The most likely reason was that Abby absolutely needed a daytime helper, if only a little kid that could keep her safe in a trunk as she sleeps during the day. So if Abby and Owen can figure out how to survive together as vampires, Owen would probably want to be turned and she probably can't say no given what happened to Thomas. If Abby's survival depended on Owen not bursting into flames in the sun, then he'll have to sacrifice his life for her. Because if there's anything we learned from the Thomas/Abby interaction, its that Abby's life is more important than her human companions''.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 am

Who could want to be like.... this?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

a7xr0cker182

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 am

cmfireflies wrote:interesting question. My first response is that if Abby wanted to turn anyone, she would have first turned Thomas. Since she didn't, she probably wouldn't turn Owen. But why not turn Thomas though? If he was willing to kill for Abby, he probably would have been willing to do a bit more killing to stay with Abby forever.
The most likely reason was that Abby absolutely needed a daytime helper, if only a little kid that could keep her safe in a trunk as she sleeps during the day. So if Abby and Owen can figure out how to survive together as vampires, Owen would probably want to be turned and she probably can't say no given what happened to Thomas. If Abby's survival depended on Owen not bursting into flames in the sun, then he'll have to sacrifice his life for her. Because if there's anything we learned from the Thomas/Abby interaction, its that Abby's life is more important than her human companions''.
yeah but since the author of let the right one in wrote that little follow up, and stated that they will be vampires, both of them, then abby and owen and most likely to be vampires, instead of owen being a helper to abby, the author wrote that to clarify an interpretation of what would happen to them like how you just described

EEA

Post by EEA » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:59 am

Probably not. Owen found in Abby someone who can protect him and who took him out of the horrible life he was living.

a7xr0cker182

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 am

EEA wrote:Probably not. Owen found in Abby someone who can protect him and who took him out of the horrible life he was living.
theres a big chance that abby will change him since owen knows about abby's last protector and he will try his best not to end up like him, so maybe after he and abby get off the train, he will ask her to turn him, in which she probably will refuse at first, but will end up doing it, and they will end up spending their lives hunting for victims

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 am

a7xr0cker182 wrote:
EEA wrote:Probably not. Owen found in Abby someone who can protect him and who took him out of the horrible life he was living.
theres a big chance that abby will change him since owen knows about abby's last protector and he will try his best not to end up like him, so maybe after he and abby get off the train, he will ask her to turn him, in which she probably will refuse at first, but will end up doing it, and they will end up spending their lives hunting for victims
And had Thomas been Abby's first lifelong companion? Had maybe Abby not been involved with yet another when she'd first met Thomas? And if so, then why had Thomas not been turned? Even if not, why had Thomas not been turned? What's to say that Thomas hadn't been just as special to her as Owen is or might soon be? What makes Owen so special, one way or another? Are there not reasons Abby resents being a vampire, the very grounds on which she might refuse to turn another human being regardless of motivation out of respect and compassion? And suppose that Owen himself, knowing what he does of Abby's condition, chooses to live with her but not to be like her because he finds it too repugnant, or maybe he fears he'd become something he really doesn't like?

Somehow, I don't think enough questions are being asked before making such stridently confidence pronouncements.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Let us phrase the question in a different context. "Will Annie want to have children. She was married to Bob and did not have any, by choice. Now she's married to Charlie so I guess we can assume they won't have any as well." You can assume that, but real life will trip you up. And why? Because people are complex like that. And because Annie-and-Charlie can never, ever be a carbon copy of Annie-and-Bob.

Same thing with Abby and her two companions we know of. They are not twins, clones, copies of one another. Each has a unique relationship with Abby. Which is not to say Abby will turn Owen, only that she still might.

Frankly, my own interpretation of events is that Abby does not need a protector. She finds one useful, and I'm not at all sure many have gone as far as Thomas did. But another child would be close-to-useless in that respect. What Abby wants is a companion. The need Thomas and now Owen fulfill seems to me emotional.

If Abby and Owen are especially close, if she grows to love him more than others, then she might well turn him. Given LTODD, and that LTROI remains the template from which the American film arose, I'd say it likely.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

a7xr0cker182

Post by a7xr0cker182 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 pm

DavidZahir wrote:Let us phrase the question in a different context. "Will Annie want to have children. She was married to Bob and did not have any, by choice. Now she's married to Charlie so I guess we can assume they won't have any as well." You can assume that, but real life will trip you up. And why? Because people are complex like that. And because Annie-and-Charlie can never, ever be a carbon copy of Annie-and-Bob.

Same thing with Abby and her two companions we know of. They are not twins, clones, copies of one another. Each has a unique relationship with Abby. Which is not to say Abby will turn Owen, only that she still might.

Frankly, my own interpretation of events is that Abby does not need a protector. She finds one useful, and I'm not at all sure many have gone as far as Thomas did. But another child would be close-to-useless in that respect. What Abby wants is a companion. The need Thomas and now Owen fulfill seems to me emotional.

If Abby and Owen are especially close, if she grows to love him more than others, then she might well turn him. Given LTODD, and that LTROI remains the template from which the American film arose, I'd say it likely.
thats very true, and thats actually very logical, if you did an essay like that in my english class, you'd ace it lmao but this is still true, she needs someone to be with, not someone to serve her, but to care for her and love her

Mikedup

Post by Mikedup » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:28 am

Okay....first post....here it goes :)
yeah but since the author of let the right one in wrote that little follow up, and stated that they will be vampires, both of them, then abby and owen and most likely to be vampires, instead of owen being a helper to abby, the author wrote that to clarify an interpretation of what would happen to them like how you just described
You must realize however that Matt Reeves's interpretation of this story is different from the original. There are other things that Lindqvist had in his novel that has changed in the Let Me In universe (i.e. Abby's gender and Hakan not being a pedophile). I don't know whether or not Abby will turn Owen into a vampire, but I believe that her intention in being friends with him was not just to raise him to be the next helper. The biggest reason is that she actually leaves without trying to take Owen with her and only comes back to save him (which I guess shows she was still watching over him). But basically Abby didn't know Owen was going to be disfigured/killed by his bullies, but left anyways and left him behind. If she was trying to raise him I don't think she would have left without Owen in the first place. As for whether or not she will turn Owen I don't know, I hope so. I would think she would want a permanent friend to be with, but other posters here have given tons of great reasons why she would need a human counterpart or why Owen may not want to be changed.
Also something to note is that Abby seemed to care for Owen a lot more than she did for Hakan. Hakan was a tool for her while Oskar was a friend. That may not have been how it always was, but Abby and Hakan's relationship may have always been very different from the one Owen and Abby have. Personally, even if Owen grew old and stayed with Abby, I don't see her treating him the way she treated Hakan (but years of being with someone can grate on you and change how you interact with them, especially in Abby's case. She may have been great friends with Hakan at a young age and then as Hakan aged and matured she couldn't connect with him in the way she used to so he turned into a tool rather than a friend.)

Wow that was longer than I thought it would be, hope I made decent sense and wasn't too random.

Return to “Let Me In”