Let the Right One In vs. Let Me In

For discussion of Matt Reeve's Film Let Me In

Moderator: LMI Moderator

CyberGhostface

Re: Let the Right One In vs. Let Me In

Post by CyberGhostface » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Pissball wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 am
So LMI, somehow succeed in re-making LTROI for american audiences, but failed at being a hit, and in the international market people still picked LTROI and wasn't interested much in its remake.
Yeah you pretty much nailed why LMI was a pointless endeavor. They tried to justify it with "Oh a story like this needs a wider audience" when wider audiences were never interested in such a story in the first place.

It really comes down to hubris and greed. I remember reading the old interviews with Oakes how he was trying to make Hammer a "thing" again and they've failed. I think 'The Woman in Black' did alright mainly because of Daniel Radcliffe but everything else they've done has received little to no fanfare. A24 seems to have taken the spot that Hammer was trying to get with their horror films.
dongregg wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 am
Yes, and LTROI has legs. The Jack Thorne script is bringing theater-goers to Eli and Oskar's world. The only place I hear about LMI is on our forum, especially now that IMDb deleted all of the fan discussions and closed the discussion area. :(
I've seen it brought up a few times but usually in the context of discussing the Swedish film. It hasn't been able to forge its own identity.
No banaaaanas?

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm indebted to LMI because it was the first thing I watched and I suppose it started my infection.It wasn't until I'd seen LTROI and read the book that I realised that LMI had missed the point.Your right about the greed and in a way I'm glad LMI wasn't successful.If it had been we would have had LMI part 27 by now. :lol:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:25 am

ltroifanatic wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:09 pm
I'm indebted to LMI because it was the first thing I watched and I suppose it started my infection.It wasn't until I'd seen LTROI and read the book that I realised that LMI had missed the point.Your right about the greed and in a way I'm glad LMI wasn't successful.If it had been we would have had LMI part 27 by now. :lol:
I think many of us are indirectly or directly indebted to LMI, because of all the talented folks that came here as a result ;) -- not the least of which is Lee Kyle, who wrote the great FF, Let Me In 2. You know, the one with the only possible 'perfect' ending for Owen and Abby? The ultimate expression of true, selfless love.

http://www.let-the-right-one-in.com/for ... php?t=4859
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 am

The one question I don't remember being answered with respect to Let Me In 2:

How do you kill what you love?
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:34 am

sauvin wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 am
The one question I don't remember being answered with respect to Let Me In 2:

How do you kill what you love?
it's easy if Owen believes in an afterlife ; much more difficult if he doesn't.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Vampyr5000

Post by Vampyr5000 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:41 am

I've seen both movies roughly the same number of times. LTROI is my favorite movie out of everything I've ever seen. Nothing else even comes close. LMI is still one of my favorites, but I've noticed that the more I watch it, the more criticisms of it I have. Whereas everytime I watch LTROI it's like I'm watching it for the first time again and I always find something new to love, something I didn't notice before.

My criticisms with LMI largely come down to pacing. I feel it lacks the slow, thoughtful pace of the original. Every interaction between Owen and Abbey seems more rushed and less heartfelt than between Oscar and Eli (an exception I'll make here is the exchange they had after Abbey bled..."Would you have died?" ... "I knew you wouldn't let me". That line gives me shivers every time I hear it, it's beautiful and would have been worthy of being in the original). There aren't the peaceful and clean landscape shots that the original had, that gave it such a sense of place and season. I also don't dig the rapidly moving sci-fi style CGI used in Abbey's underpass attack, in comparison to the much more subdued and believable scene in the original. This use of noise and din kind of reoccurs throughout the film I find. It's unlike the original that quietly focuses on the main characters.

Overall I'd sum it down to: too fast a pace and too much noise and distraction. The music was well done though, I'll give it that (but can't hold a candle to the original still).

With all this said, there's still something that keeps me coming back to this one again and again. The sublime story is still there, and though it doesn't shine as brightly in LMI as opposed to LTROI, what does shine through is still magical. It is a unique adaptation of the O.G. film, and it will always remain at least in my top ten movie list.
"Those with no arms around them often nestle into the cold dry embrace of their seperateness" - Richard Gavin

Return to “Let Me In”