Interview With Johan Söderqvist

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Wolfchild

Interview With Johan Söderqvist

Post by Wolfchild » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:44 am

I recently had the incredible opportunity to do an interview with Johan Söderqvist. He was already an established film when he was chosen to do the score for LTROI, and I'm sure you can imagine how packed his schedule has been since then. In fact, he did the score for the new Susanne Bier film In A Better World that opened yesterday at the Toronto International Film Festival. Despite all of that, he found some time to answer the all too large list of questions that I had for him. You can read the interview on my web page.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

gattoparde59

Re: Interview With Johan Söderqvist

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 am

Excellent interview! 8-)

Thanks Wolfie.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:28 am

Hats off to you, Wolf. I know you worked long and hard to communicate with him, and the interview is very interesting. Much of his work seems very intuitive, which I find fascinating. I hope his career continues to take off!

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:57 am

That's a great interview! Speaking of "In A Better World", it's getting rave reviews at TIFF, and will likely be Denmark's official entry for Oscar Best Foreign Language Film.

Johan's previous collaboration with Danish director Susanne Bier has resulted in two critically acclaimed Danish films.

The 2004 film "Brothers" (89% on Rotten Tomatoes) was nominated for 8 European Film Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Composer (Johan Söderqvist). The film was remade by Hollywood in 2009 with the same name, and it stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman and Tobey Maguire.

The 2006 film "After the Wedding" (87% on Rotten Tomatoes) was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

WhiteBackground

Post by WhiteBackground » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:57 am

Thank you. This is fantastic.
"The one with enough courage and patience to dare gaze all his life into the darkness will be the first one to see in it a glimmer of light" (c)

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 am

Thanks! :D I haven't read any of them yet, I will do that in the weekend.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Struan

Post by Struan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 am

Great interview! I'm really glad you finally got the opportunity to ask all the questions a true fan would ask. :)
I can especially relate to Johan's method of not overthinking it when composing, instead allowing himself to be carried by feelings and textures. It sure worked great.

Thanks to both of you!
In a gloomy empty land, with dreary hills ahead.

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Give that Wolf a sheep, roasted with rosemary and garlic, and a good red wine.

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Excellent scoop, Wolfchild!
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

Diello

Post by Diello » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Fascinating. Thanks for this.
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
(matt. 16:26)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”