New update on the show

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Post Reply
User avatar
Wolfchild
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:26 pm
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:04 pm

I see nothing either good or bad in Davis' comments. You folks are a real tough room. :lol:

I went and watched an episode of Teen Wolf. I doubt I'll watch another. With that being said, I frankly don't think it matters what direction he goes with the story. The only thing that really matters is how well he tells it. There are certainly some things that he could do to make it impossible to tell the story well, but has he hinted that he would do any of those things?

I wonder why the news of the stage production got a warm reception right off the bat, while this TV adaption has instantly caused the knives to come out? :think:

woof
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

User avatar
dongregg
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm
Location: Atlanta
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:18 pm

The play is a European deal. There has been ink (no blood yet) spilled for years about how Hollywood (and now, the TV wasteland) likes to turn sophisticated stories into sensational trash.

And theatre is an old and honored medium.

Yet, Hollywood gets it right a lot, too, and there have been brilliant made for TV series that were stunning: Band of Brothers, Brideshead Revisited.

But for much else of TV fare, It's just, you know, once bit, twice shy.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

User avatar
Mikallein
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:02 am
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New update on the show

Post by Mikallein » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Wolfchild wrote:I see nothing either good or bad in Davis' comments. You folks are a real tough room. :lol:

I went and watched an episode of Teen Wolf. I doubt I'll watch another. With that being said, I frankly don't think it matters what direction he goes with the story. The only thing that really matters is how well he tells it. There are certainly some things that he could do to make it impossible to tell the story well, but has he hinted that he would do any of those things?

I wonder why the news of the stage production got a warm reception right off the bat, while this TV adaption has instantly caused the knives to come out? :think:

woof

I think it just boils down to the fact that I have been burned before. Seen things that I love taken to a new medium and utterly ruined because of it.

Primary Example Below
Image

Never before had I seen an adaptation pay so little attention to the source material and blatantly slap fans in the face, while at the same time not explaining ANYTHING to people who were not already fans of the series.

So when I read that interview that says that "The pilot will have elements from the book, but tell a new, different story." the fact that from EPISODE ONE it will be diverting from the source material does not inspire confidence.

Don hit the nail on the head
dongregg wrote:It's just, you know, once bit, twice shy.
That being said, i'm not ready to grab my torch and pitchfork just yet, I said I would give it a full season, or maybe two if it survives that long (which I hope it does) before I fully judge it and I meant that. Some shows it takes that long to find their stride unfortunately.

And don't get me wrong, i'm very excited that we are getting this show. I honestly am surprised that the big wigs think their is enough interest in the story for them to make money off of it. But there are just so many things that could go wrong that I can't help but be slightly apprehensive. For me its better to be like this then to hype myself up and for it to be terrible.
Image

User avatar
gattoparde59
Posts: 3242
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: New update on the show

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Wolfchild wrote:I wonder why the news of the stage production got a warm reception right off the bat, while this TV adaption has instantly caused the knives to come out? :think:
Two words: "American" and "TV."

All the same the ideal would be an HBO mini-series based on the novel, or any one of the other Lindqvist novels. HBO seems willing to deal with almost anything in a mini-series. Some of this has influenced other cable networks, so maybe the producers will take a chance and do something really cool.

Maybe.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

User avatar
Jameron
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK

Re: New update on the show

Post by Jameron » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:22 am

dongregg wrote:Yet, Hollywood gets it right a lot, too, and there have been brilliant made for TV series that were stunning: Band of Brothers, Brideshead Revisited.
Is there a Brideshead Revisited I don't know about, made by Hollywood?

.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

User avatar
dongregg
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm
Location: Atlanta
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by dongregg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:14 am

Jameron wrote:
dongregg wrote:Yet, Hollywood gets it right a lot, too, and there have been brilliant made for TV series that were stunning: Band of Brothers, Brideshead Revisited.
Is there a Brideshead Revisited I don't know about, made by Hollywood?

.
No! "Brideshead" reigns supreme as an example of what made for TV can do. It stands apart from much of TV fare.

But then, it followed the book. It didn't get "ideas" from the book, as the new LTROI TV series threatens to do.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

User avatar
Jameron
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK

Re: New update on the show

Post by Jameron » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:27 am

dongregg wrote:
Jameron wrote:
dongregg wrote:Yet, Hollywood gets it right a lot, too, and there have been brilliant made for TV series that were stunning: Band of Brothers, Brideshead Revisited.
Is there a Brideshead Revisited I don't know about, made by Hollywood?

.
No! "Brideshead" reigns supreme as an example of what made for TV can do. It stands apart from much of TV fare.

But then, it followed the book. It didn't get "ideas" from the book, as the new LTROI TV series threatens to do.
Ha ha. Reading comprehension fail on my part :lol:

.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

User avatar
Wolfchild
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:26 pm
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:35 pm

dongregg wrote:The play is a European deal. There has been ink (no blood yet) spilled for years about how Hollywood (and now, the TV wasteland) likes to turn sophisticated stories into sensational trash.
<snip>
And theatre is an old and honored medium.
Tsk. I dare say that more offal has been shoveled live on stage than on any screen, big or small. ;) I'm just bemused by this reflexive presumption that, theatre=good; TV=bad. The following was made in Hollywood, for TV, and there has never been anything finer on the small screen, and precious few things better on the silver screen:
But as to the OT, I actually saw something that I liked in Jeff Davis' comments.
The pilot will have elements from the book, but tell a new, different story. It will be, if the series goes forward, a whole lot darker. I never imagined myself doing a vampire show, actually, but something about this one kind of captured me.
So maybe it will be a story taking place in the LTROI universe, but it will be in a different setting with different characters. Maybe we won't have to be burdened by his interpretations of Oskar and Eli. Also, when he says that something about this story "captured" him, that sounded a bit familiar to me. 8-) If he can focus on what it was that in LTROI that captured him, there is a chance that he will be able to pass it along onscreen. That would be something that I could look forward to.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

User avatar
Opeth
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by Opeth » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 am

Yeah... good luck on going "darker". :lol:

User avatar
dongregg
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:58 pm
Location: Atlanta
Contact:

Re: New update on the show

Post by dongregg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:03 am

Hi Opeth. You've been quiet. Are you cooking up some new music?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Post Reply

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”